Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 26 Mar 18, 01:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Burgmeister
Imagineer

Burgmeister's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
We are 2 x adults and 1 x child. If the fares are £150 pp less then I would do it. As I stated earlier, Google maps reckon its a little over 3 hours to drive and, as we would be getting up at stupid o'clock the first morning anyway then setting off at 5 or 6 in the morning should get you where you want to be easily by 10, so I wouldn't consider that a day wasted. Cheaper car hire may or may not cancel out the cost of the fuel but, even so, I reckon I would be a minimum of £400 better off.

Now, for many on here, I'm sure £400 isn't much money, but to others that's a heck of a lot. If someone were to come to me and say "Hey, can you dirve this car for 8 hours for me and I'll pay you £50 an hour to do it?", I'd jump at it. I don't earn anywhere near £50 an hour at work.

Just my tuppence.

Edited at 01:06 PM.
Burgmeister is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Mar 18, 04:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Slinky Malinki
Being a bit Goofy

Mobile

Originally Posted by Burgmeister View Post
Even at 6am?
Will be starting to get a bit busier.
Slinky Malinki is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Mar 18, 04:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Slinky Malinki
Being a bit Goofy

Mobile

Originally Posted by Burgmeister View Post
We are 2 x adults and 1 x child. If the fares are £150 pp less then I would do it. As I stated earlier, Google maps reckon its a little over 3 hours to drive and, as we would be getting up at stupid o'clock the first morning anyway then setting off at 5 or 6 in the morning should get you where you want to be easily by 10, so I wouldn't consider that a day wasted. Cheaper car hire may or may not cancel out the cost of the fuel but, even so, I reckon I would be a minimum of £400 better off.

Now, for many on here, I'm sure £400 isn't much money, but to others that's a heck of a lot. If someone were to come to me and say "Hey, can you dirve this car for 8 hours for me and I'll pay you £50 an hour to do it?", I'd jump at it. I don't earn anywhere near £50 an hour at work.

Just my tuppence.
I got about 500 miles for £22 of fuel in November. Barely worth the consideration!
Slinky Malinki is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Mar 18, 04:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Love*my*hols
Imagineer

We have found car hire cheaper from Miami than Orlando so that may be a consideration too .
Old 26 Mar 18, 04:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Burgmeister
Imagineer

Burgmeister's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Originally Posted by Slinky Malinki View Post
I got about 500 miles for £22 of fuel in November. Barely worth the consideration!
That's good to know. It still needs to factor in to your decision as do the tolls (about $15 apparently) but, you are right, it isn't a major factor.

My tipping point would definitely be £150 per person.
Old 26 Mar 18, 07:07 PM  
Link to this Post
GALE88
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by NewtoOrlando View Post
We just fly out a day before the proper holiday starts so that ut doesn't impact our actual holiday. This year we are there for 19 days. Yeah you have to drive back to Miami the day you fly home but we make a day of it by leaving earlyish & stopping at Vero beach to end he holiday the way we started it. Flying into Miami really doesn't have to impact your actual holiday time if you plan it right!
I don't think I'll mind leaving earlyish on the way home. Last year our flight time was 4.30pm out of Sanford so we had to leave Disney at around midday. If it was an 8pm flight out of Miami I'd imagine leaving Disney about midday again. I'm one of those people that can't really settle and enjoy the last day. I wish I could but I get in the mindset of going home and just want to get it over with, so it's kind of a 'lost' day anyway.
GALE88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Mar 18, 07:22 PM  
Link to this Post
GALE88
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by mickeysbuddy View Post
I think this really comes down to a few things:

How many people are in your travel party:

If it's just two Adults - Then it wouldn't be worth the hassle for me.
But if it is 2 adults + 2/3 kids the savings on flights alone could easily become over a £1000 saved.

So it really depends on how many people you are travelling with. As the extra day costs money.

Some people stay in a hotel the day they land, some stay in a hotel down there before they fly home, some people do both.

The cost of the car + the cost of the petrol - probably most likely an extra tank of gas just to get from the airport and then get back.

That's before you factor in the 8-10hrs extra driving.
It's bad enough I've to drive for 1hr30-2hrs to get from Belfast to Dublin airport.

I really wouldn't fancy a 4-6hr drive when I land at the other end or the next morning.

I really wouldn't enjoy the extra travel hours on the way home, its depressing enough going home. Before I have to leave early and drive 4-6hrs then have a long haul flight.

But if thats the only way you can get back and make Orlando affordable its probably worth it, I'd probably just postpone for another year and do it as hassle free as I could.
I should have said, we are a family of 4 (2 adults, 2 children) so the cost of the flights really add up for us and we're restricted pretty much to August due to school holidays and when DH is allowed time off work.\

My current thinking is that the cheaper car hire will cancel out the petrol costs, so I won't worry too much about that. I'll look at both flight options, and also Tampa too, and see what the price difference is. If I can get flights for the 4 of us for around the £2k mark rather than the £3k I was originally budgeting I'll be happy.
If we fly to Miami I'll book a day early, and I'll need to factor in the cost of a hotel for the night in my savings.
GALE88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Mar 18, 08:22 PM  
Link to this Post
dave
Imagineer

We are going next week. Even when we factored in 2 nights at start and 1 night at end in Miami we still saved money.
Sunset lakes 01, Weston Hills 03,Indian Ridge 04, Davenport 04, Westridge 06 & 07, Florida Pines 08, Lake Berkley 09, Windsor Hills 10, Emerald Island 12, Westridge 13, Legacy Park 15, Eagle Pointe 16, Loma Linda & Windsor Hills 17, Westridge 18, Bella Vida 19
FLORIDA MASTERS WORST TRAVEL AGENT 2015
HOLIDAY GENIE / TRAVELUP WORST TRAVEL AGENT 2016
dave is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Mar 18, 08:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Trogman
Proud to wear my Ears

Originally Posted by missdopey View Post
Were doing this twice this year, it’ll be a first time not flying into mco for us but we got flights for £350 each (hence going twice) going into Miami and couldn’t get anywhere near that for mco. We’ve booked the Miami airport hotel for the night we land and booked car hire for 6am the next morning and going to drive upto Orlando hoping to arrive late morning. We’ve added an extra day (15 nights) to compensate for the travelling to/from Miami. It also gives us opportunity to spend a few nights at Vero Beach on our summer trip.

hi the flights for £350 are they direct ?
Old 26 Mar 18, 09:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Excitedx4
Imagineer

Excitedx4's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Done it last year and spent 3 nights doing Everglades, keys and Miami. Doing the same this year also staying in Weston near US27 then heading up early the next morning. We saved loads both time around £500 each for 2 adults 2 kids 7 seat minivan hire with BA flydrive man-lhr-mia. £2000 for flights and fully insured car hire it would cost double that for mco. Both these were August too. There is some info in my trippie in my signature too.
Excitedx4 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List