Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 18 Apr 18, 09:42 PM  
Link to this Post
ashesmod
Excited about Disney

ashesmod's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I think that like everything people have a lot of emotional attachment to rides and attractions past and present.
I have never seen Jaws (I know) but I miss that ride every time I walk by. Harry Potter has the technology the look and feel, but he does not have a very plastic looking car and a boat smelling of diesel!
But over time memories will be created as we go back again and again with new generations.
Everything will be relevant for everyone some rides will be the best for someone but a ride to miss for others. That's the great thing otherwise the queues would be even worse!
ashesmod is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 18, 10:37 AM  
Link to this Post
loopylaura
Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by dotb View Post
We love Universal, go there every year multiple times whereas we tend to give Disney a miss now. We’re certainly not teenagers, more in the 50+ bracket.
This is us as well! I'm a 50+ huge Harry Potter fan and we go each year and stay on-site at Universal - just love it. Haven't been to Disney since 2004 and probably wont ever go back.
loopylaura is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 18, 10:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Universal is only enjoyable with express passes at peak times which adds to the costs. For a family of 4 it cost us over £1200 to go to all 3 parks including 1 night at RPR. Volcano Bay was rammed by 8.30am!
Moorlandman is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 18, 11:09 AM  
Link to this Post
NMW1702
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

Originally Posted by ihearttc View Post
We went to Florida last week and spent nearly 10 days at Universal (with 2 days at MK and Epcot in the middle). Admittedly we didn’t get to experience Epcot properly due to a massive thunderstorm for most of the day but my boys loved Universal and hated Disney. I thought Disney was too busy and crowded.

This is exactly what we thought! Universal had a much more relaxed atmosphere to it!

We are doing a split stay next year but if we return again after 2019 we wouldnt do disney
NMW1702 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 18, 11:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Pottermus
Proud to wear my Ears

Age of your kids is also a factor.

Younger kids will obviously enjoy Harvey Potter but perhaps some of the other rides/themes might not resonate as much with them compared to Disney et al.

Teens will love Universal though! Great rides too.
Pottermus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 18, 11:55 AM  
Link to this Post

Doing both for the first time in September. 8 nights on site Disney then 6 on site Universal, and my experience in just trying to book restaurants for Disney has been a nightmare, can't get times I wanted, have to make do with what's left, and that is 6 months before I actually go, and that's before I even get the chance to attempt the fastpass lottery.

Universal looks a lot more relaxed and chilled, fastpass comes free with the hotel, restaurants can be booked for whenever I want them and the whole experience at Universal seems a lot more pleasant than Disney will be, and the rides look better at Universal.

Also idrive right next door, so more opportunities to explore other parts, and not being stuck in the Disney bubble.

Not really answering OP question, but just my initial thoughts as a first timer.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 18, 09:26 AM  
Link to this Post
UPExodus
Helping Minnie

Contrary to your opinion, the Harry Potter features are probably my least favourite aspect of Universal. I love the variation of theming across the parks. In the last 4 years, we'll have visited Florida 3 times and been to Disney on only one of those occasions. I don't think the parks can offer what it's ridiculous price warrants.

I also don't understand the massive amount of hype the Disney parks receive, for example, Space Mountain... If that ride were in any non-Disney park it would be labelled as outdated and should probably be replaced. But because it sits in the Magic Kingdom people can't get enough of it and it's at the top of some peoples must do lists, don't get me wrong I enjoyed the ride, but it is what it is, a 1970's dark coaster.

I also don't understand some of the choices Disney make, granted Toy Story Land and Star Wars land are something I'll want to see in the future, but Avatar land? Seriously? Who saw that film 9 years ago and thought "Wow, Disney World really should dedicate a large portion of one of their parks to this" Sure I hear FoP is a pretty amazing experience, but is that due to source material or the technology?

For us, a mid to late 20's couple Disney is irrelevant. My opinion might change once I have kids. But untill then Universal And the Seaworld parks remain my choice.
UPExodus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 18, 05:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Andybear
Imagineer

Originally Posted by UPExodus View Post
Contrary to your opinion, the Harry Potter features are probably my least favourite aspect of Universal. I love the variation of theming across the parks. In the last 4 years, we'll have visited Florida 3 times and been to Disney on only one of those occasions. I don't think the parks can offer what it's ridiculous price warrants.

I also don't understand the massive amount of hype the Disney parks receive, for example, Space Mountain... If that ride were in any non-Disney park it would be labelled as outdated and should probably be replaced. But because it sits in the Magic Kingdom people can't get enough of it and it's at the top of some peoples must do lists, don't get me wrong I enjoyed the ride, but it is what it is, a 1970's dark coaster.

I also don't understand some of the choices Disney make, granted Toy Story Land and Star Wars land are something I'll want to see in the future, but Avatar land? Seriously? Who saw that film 9 years ago and thought "Wow, Disney World really should dedicate a large portion of one of their parks to this" Sure I hear FoP is a pretty amazing experience, but is that due to source material or the technology?

For us, a mid to late 20's couple Disney is irrelevant. My opinion might change once I have kids. But untill then Universal And the Seaworld parks remain my choice.
I'm 54, don't have kids and have never been to a Disney park with any - I've either been alone or with other adults - and I love Disney That could possibly be partly due to my age though - I'm not into all the high tech stuff like you youngsters are
Andybear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 18, 06:53 PM  
Link to this Post
TigerMom
Apprentice Imagineer

We did Disney when our children were little and loved it but they didn't want to go when they became teenagers. DH and I like Epcot and have been back there a couple of times at Christmas. However, we're all still fans of Universal although staying on site at Portofino and having FOTL probably helps. Personally, I think all of the parks need each other.
TigerMom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 18, 10:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

We are not (and I don my tin hat and flack jacket here ) big Disney fans and that's only since 60/30 daynfast pass booking started as we tend to have a more fluid holiday we have annual passes to Disney this year as our GDs had his first trip I'm March and we will get 4 visits from them
We have annual passes for all the others and use them to the full as we get free parking with them we often just g for a couple of hours early or late in the day then if it gets busy
Leave so for us most defiantly and as we now go around Madi Gra we've seen some amazing bands for free as we have at Busch around the same time
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List