Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 26 Jul 18, 10:44 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by jemett View Post
Unfortunately for some people like my disabled son and other disabled people plastic bendy straws are a must for them. Paper straws disintegrate, metal straws do not bend and hard plastic straws have no give in them. Whilst I appreciate the plastic debate and the environment, I don’t appreciate that I will try and have to find other not so good alternatives so my son can have a drink!
Have you seen the Klean Kanteen straws? They have a bent silicone top so they’re a sort of compromise between silicone and metal.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 18, 11:16 PM  
Link to this Post
stephen2203
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Northerndave View Post
Yep, lets ban straws, but keep serving drinks in plastic lined paper cups with plastic lids on top. Absolute joke
Very good point.
stephen2203 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 18, 06:58 AM  
Link to this Post
arielrocks
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by stephen2203 View Post
Very good point.
Change has to start somewhere.
arielrocks is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 18, 08:05 AM  
Link to this Post
deanobrown
slightly serious Dibber

I like that they're doing this...
But the sceptical part of me is just waiting for the price of drinks to go up by $5 and come with a "free" souvenir Micky straw! lol
deanobrown is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 18, 08:34 AM  
Link to this Post
stephen2203
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by arielrocks View Post
Change has to start somewhere.
It does but the current levels of plastic pollution in our oceans show that the change needs to be much more dramatic.
stephen2203 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 18, 12:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Northerndave View Post
Yep, lets ban straws, but keep serving drinks in plastic lined paper cups with plastic lids on top. Absolute joke
"In addition, over the next few years we’re transitioning to refillable in-room amenities in our hotels and on our cruise ships, reducing plastics in guest rooms by 80 percent. We will also reduce the number of plastic shopping bags in our owned and operated parks and on our cruise line, offering guests the option to purchase reusable bags at a nominal price. Finally, we will complete our work to eliminate polystyrene cups across our global owned and operated business. These steps are part of our long-term effort to reduce single-use plastics, and we will continue recycling and responsibly disposing single-use waste that cannot be eliminated."

Small steps perhaps, but heading in the right direction.

And without plastic straws there's no need for those plastic lids on top either so I guess those will be gone too.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 18, 04:54 PM  
Link to this Post
angelbabe
Imagineer

Disney has just announced that Ziploc will be sponsoring Splash Mountain and giving out free plastic Ziploc bags for guests to keep their belongings dry. So they are getting rid of straws but will be putting free plastic bags into circulation.
angelbabe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 18, 11:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Northerndave
Being a bit Goofy

Originally Posted by angelbabe View Post
Disney has just announced that Ziploc will be sponsoring Splash Mountain and giving out free plastic Ziploc bags for guests to keep their belongings dry. So they are getting rid of straws but will be putting free plastic bags into circulation.
Yep,but hey, let's blind the public with the smallest possible saving of plastic as a virtue signal while selling food on plastic plates with plastic cutlery and plastic cups, while sitting on a plastic chair around a plastic table, etc etc

Wonder how many straws it takes to make just one plastic pint pot or margerita cup?
Old 28 Jul 18, 12:46 PM  
Link to this Post
lovewdw
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Pinball View Post
I have always taken handfuls of Starbucks plastic straws to Animal Kingdom as the paper straws are terrible with Frappuccinos. When I tried to use them I ended up having to collect 3 straws for each drink as they just don’t last.

I guess this means stocking up on even more straws from outside WDW to take in with me as we visit Starbucks at least 3 times a day with 5 orders.
Good job Starbucks are banning plastic straws too then

news.starbucks/press-rel...obally-by-2020
lovewdw is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 18, 03:32 PM  
Link to this Post
a11mark
Imagineer

a11mark's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
I'm really confused with the Ziploc sponsor, even though its reusable its still doesn't look good. why cant they just get rid of all single use plastic items in the parks and resorts? (they have a land of the seas pavilion, they should be all over this.)

I'd expect if they did get rid of all plastics, we would see souvenir dinner sets from every restaurants (yet another thing to collect and bring home)