Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 14 Aug 18, 02:45 AM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by myaquarium View Post
Don't really understand your point on the type of drink.it was for a young child. Thanks tho for looking up the prices for s moment I thought I had made up the figure
Well I don't understand why the age of the drinker has anything to do with paying for the drink. I looked it up because $6 for a soda sounded insane and I thought you meant what is usually meant by lemonade in the UK. A lemonade made from fresh lemons to order isn't something I would expect a waitress to comp since she probably had to order it from the bar. It isn't like grabbing a soda from the dispenser with free refills and no stock control.
Old 14 Aug 18, 07:04 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

I am still baffled why you expected anything you ordered to be free.
Yes a buffet probably wasn't the wisest choice if you have a picky light eater and it's a set rate for the meal regardless per person but why would the drink be free ? Especially a speciality drink ... a soda as someone else said is a different matter as it *could* just go down as a refill not a billable drink ... maybe that's what you experienced in the past so had an unrealistic expectation that every server can and will do that every time ?
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 18, 07:34 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by myaquarium View Post
Don't really understand your point on the type of drink.it was for a young child. Thanks tho for looking up the prices for s moment I thought I had made up the figure
I am still not sure why you are labouring the point about the drink being for a young child. Do you go into the supermarket and not expect to pay for things you plan to give your young child? No of course not. Drinks are not free for children.

You also don’t get free drinks just because you have purchased an expensive meal. It all gets added up together, the more you order the more you pay. This is something you need to try and accept or you are going to continue to be disappointed with your dining experiences when you find you are charged money for things you order for your party.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 18, 08:55 AM  
Link to this Post
wilma-bride
Imagineer

wilma-bride's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by mexico07 View Post
This is me , I don’t care whether it’s Disney or any other restaurant, if the service is bad your not getting a tip and I am more than happy to explain why! I know the tipping is a big issue on here but I regard it as a thank you for the service you have given me , plain and simple and although we generally tip well I won’t be told what I should tip , i really am baffled why people seem to think that they need to accept bad service let alone tip it and strangely it seems to happen in Disney restaurants more than anywhere else I’ve read about xxx
While I understand, and don't necessarily disagree with, this sentiment, this thread alone is the reason why tipping is such a bone of contention. I completely agree that you should not have to tip for bad service. But when I say bad service, I mean getting the order wrong, not refilling drinks, surly or rude behaviour, poor timing of course (mains coming out before starters are finished, etc.) It is fairly clear from this post that some people believe that bad service is being expected to pay for the things you order for your child and expecting not to pay full price for a buffet just because you don't avail of all the food available. That is not bad (or even poor) service. Just as the food being cold, not nice is not poor service. The way that it is dealt with if you point it out is the measure of the service, not if the food itself is below par.

Sorry, getting off my soapbox now, but I just get frustrated when I read that people shouldn't be expected to tip for bad service, however what they consider to be bad service is not really bad service, it just maybe doesn't meet their (sometimes unreasonable) expectations for whatever reason.
wilma-bride is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 18, 10:12 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
I have nothing to add to this thread apart from one thing

Cold food to me is poor service. Chefs don't produce cold food (apart from those dishes that should be!) It's servers not monitoring their orders in a professional manner.
Or the busser is not doing their job
Both fit into poor service in my book.

However it's reasilly remedied by just sending it back to be replaced - cut the dish up so they can't micro it!

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 18, 12:48 PM  
Link to this Post
mexico07
VIP Dibber

I think your getting a wee bit irate here and it’s not necessary! But as you’ve made a few points I’ll pick up on them to clarify my feelings , bad service in MY OPINION does include cold food , food should not be left at the pass to go cold before it is delivered to the table , this is the servers fault for not attending their tables properly, and as is frequently posted on here and on the review threads it is also very common practice in Disney for waiting staff to ignore a table in preference to a bigger table or be surly with customers, this to me is also bad service , whilst I agree everyone can have off days that’s fair enough just don’t expect me to tip you for it ! As for the op’s point about cost and child’s drink etc I think she has just been offloading and perhaps if the service had been better these things wouldn’t have bothered her so much but I don’t think it’s helpful for others to bash her for it , everyone sounds offf at some point xxx
mexico07 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 18, 02:28 PM  
Link to this Post
myaquarium
Imagineer

Mobile

OK I think im wrong in my statement judging on some of the fair comments to to me. Everyone's idea of service or what you may expect is different to others.
myaquarium is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 18, 02:36 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by mexico07 View Post
I think your getting a wee bit irate here and it’s not necessary! But as you’ve made a few points I’ll pick up on them to clarify my feelings , bad service in MY OPINION does include cold food , food should not be left at the pass to go cold before it is delivered to the table , this is the servers fault for not attending their tables properly, and as is frequently posted on here and on the review threads it is also very common practice in Disney for waiting staff to ignore a table in preference to a bigger table or be surly with customers, this to me is also bad service , whilst I agree everyone can have off days that’s fair enough just don’t expect me to tip you for it ! As for the op’s point about cost and child’s drink etc I think she has just been offloading and perhaps if the service had been better these things wouldn’t have bothered her so much but I don’t think it’s helpful for others to bash her for it , everyone sounds offf at some point xxx
The only service complaint I can see made by the OP was that the server at Sci Fi Dining “looked annoyed”.

The other “service” complaints are about having to pay for a drink they ordered and drunk and having to pay flat fee for a buffet meal (as you do at every buffet meal anywhere in the world). Nobody bashing OP, merely trying to explain that these are not service issues and nothing to complain about.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 18, 02:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
It is also worth bearing in mind cultural expectations. For example, servers clearing plates before everyone has finished, bringing the bill while people are still eating, and bringing mains before starters are finished. All three are considered bad service in the UK but good service in the US.

I would agree cold food is sometimes down to bad service, but usually I just mention it quietly and politely and they sort it (and usually comp me a drink!) so I don’t consider it affects my tip unless they didn’t sort it. (One Thai restaurant in the UK microwaved my cold Pad Thai, and when I complained, the waitress snapped “The chef said there was nothing wrong with it.”. I replied “Thank you for letting me know your chef considers substandard food acceptable. You have saved me a lot of money as I won’t need to eat here again.” I paid for my drink and starter and left - with no tip!)

Edited at 02:46 PM.
Gill H is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 18, 02:47 PM  
Link to this Post
KeithOP
Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
I have nothing to add to this thread apart from one thing

Cold food to me is poor service. Chefs don't produce cold food (apart from those dishes that should be!) It's servers not monitoring their orders in a professional manner.
Or the busser is not doing their job
Both fit into poor service in my book.

However it's reasilly remedied by just sending it back to be replaced - cut the dish up so they can't micro it!
completely agree with this
KeithOP is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List