Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 14 Aug 18, 03:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Mrs Valentine
Imagineer

Mrs Valentine's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 21
I still wish they'd go back to 12 - 15% tips like they used to have when we first went to Florida. I really think that 20% is to much.

DisneyJulie
Mrs Valentine is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 18, 03:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Mobile

I ate in a Fuller’s pub in London the other day. Went to the bar to order food, paid by card and the machine asked me to press 1 for no tip, 2 for 10%, 3 for 15% and 4 for 20% - before I had even had my food!

Needless to say, I pressed 1!
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 18, 03:45 PM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Gill H View Post
I ate in a Fuller’s pub in London the other day. Went to the bar to order food, paid by card and the machine asked me to press 1 for no tip, 2 for 10%, 3 for 15% and 4 for 20% - before I had even had my food!

Needless to say, I pressed 1!

Oh ! I'm lost for words !
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 18, 04:36 PM  
Link to this Post
filharmonic
Apprentice Imagineer

filharmonic's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by Mrs Valentine View Post
I still wish they'd go back to 12 - 15% tips like they used to have when we first went to Florida. I really think that 20% is to much.
Tip 12-15% then if that's what you feel is right. we do and don't get any complaints, we have American friends who do the same I sometimes think it's a huge con on us British tourists,put yourself in the waiters position 30/40 mins work for $10/15 is pretty good plus they'll be looking after numerous tables
filharmonic is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 18, 04:56 PM  
Link to this Post
MissFortune
Imagineer

How has this thread turned into a % debate again?

MissFortune is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 18, 09:27 PM  
Link to this Post
myaquarium
Imagineer

Just got back from blizzard beach were we ate. The server's were great they changed two children's drinks in our party to frozen lemonade with no fuss and allowed them to their original bottles of orange. Something similar happened with the American couple next to us were they were given a pizza complimentary even tho their order was wrong. Unfortunately I was unable to tip these servers. At that point I realised everything itemised on a sit down meal counts towards the tipping percentage.hence why the probably add everything possible. Possibly being a bit cynicle.

Edited at 09:30 PM.
myaquarium is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 18, 11:31 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by myaquarium View Post
Just got back from blizzard beach were we ate. The server's were great they changed two children's drinks in our party to frozen lemonade with no fuss and allowed them to their original bottles of orange. Something similar happened with the American couple next to us were they were given a pizza complimentary even tho their order was wrong. Unfortunately I was unable to tip these servers. At that point I realised everything itemised on a sit down meal counts towards the tipping percentage.hence why the probably add everything possible. Possibly being a bit cynicle.
They add together what you have ordered. This happens in any restaurant anywhere in the world. Now I don’t want to get into tipping percentages, but restaurant bills are always based upon the cumulated cost of what you ordered. . Really do not get where you are coming from to be honest.

Frankly, you have had a fair few explanatory comments now regarding paying for drink orders no matter how old the consumer of said drink is and of how buffet charging typically works, but it doesn’t seem to have sunk in. I can only conclude you are somebody who expects something for nothing and are thus disappointed when you have to pay for things you ordered, I don’t know what else to conclude. Honestly this is one of the strangest complaints I have ever read about.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 18, 07:09 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by myaquarium View Post

How do you tip in the UK? If you purchase meals valued at £25 the tipping is always a percentage of the bill. It’s the same the world over. You don’t tip at McDonald's as it’s counter service same as all counter service in the USA.

They changed your drink, that was decent of them but by no means do they have too.

Like the previous poster, I have no idea what you’re complaining about or what you expect from your dining experiences

I expect to
  • Get what I paid for
  • Pay for items NOT on the plan or NOT offered in my price range
  • Food to be of the quality I’m paying for
  • Prompt service
  • Polite service

Edited at 08:41 AM.
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 18, 01:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

Mobile

I agree completely that with the tipping expectations, some staff really are quite surly. They don’t seem to even try.
Some go above and beyond and make your meal such a lovely experience.
However, I’m not sure I understand about the drink?
Did one of you have that as part of your own entitlement but give it to the child? If they expected you to pay when it was part of a DDP meal (because it was given to someone else) then that would be unreasonable but if it was a separate request then I’m unsure why there would be an expectation that it wouldn’t be chargeable.
We tend to avoid buffets because I don’t personally think they’re good value unless you plan to eat a lot. It’s just bog standard, low quality (IMO) crowd pleasers which is absolutely fine but not worth the high price tag for a tea plate portion!

We hope to try Morrimoto this time as we couldn’t squeeze it in before so hopefully we won’t be disappointed.

Our 2015 Food Trip Report http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=891973
Vanillapod is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 18, 01:14 PM  
Link to this Post
addick1
Excited about Disney

As CP is a buffet restaurant, how is the server supposed to know one person only had fries? They don't check up that you've all eaten a hearty meal before you leave, that's up to you surely?
addick1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List