Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 24 Jul 19, 09:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

I get on really well with one neighbour and we share a fence. The other neighbour we each have our own fence. He has a tatty wire fence on his side and I have the highest fence I'm legally allowed.

I think it's unfair of your neighbour to expect you to suddenly pay for a fence. We all have different priorities. Their priority is clearly the fence.
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 19, 06:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Tillyjcm
slightly serious Dibber

We are responsible for boundary on our right hand side and it was a privet hedge. It was in a bad way and a nightmare to maintain so we asked neighbours if they had any objection to us replacing with fencing.

They were happy to see hedge go and we didn’t expect any payment towards it as it was our decision. I know it’s not the same if you have shared responsibility but I wouldn’t spring it on my neighbour and expect them to have the money there and then, most people plan ahead and prioritise what they need to do.

I think your response to them was right and I’m sure they’ll understand that right now is not a good time for you.
Old 25 Jul 19, 11:33 AM  
Link to this Post
bernard301
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

What side are the neighbours on? If they are to your right then the fence is yours(generally you own the boundary fence to the right )and if they damage it then should repair/replace it. However at the same time they could argue that the fence is yours to maintain.

Given they are new neighbours it could be frought with danger to push for a 50:50 agreement
bernard301 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 19, 01:57 PM  
Link to this Post
soooexcited!
Imagineer

soooexcited!'s Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Mobile

Originally Posted by bernard301 View Post
What side are the neighbours on? If they are to your right then the fence is yours(generally you own the boundary fence to the right )and if they damage it then should repair/replace it. However at the same time they could argue that the fence is yours to maintain.

Given they are new neighbours it could be frought with danger to push for a 50:50 agreement
This house deeds clearly states its shared with boardering neighbours. It was as you say in my last house.
Old 25 Jul 19, 02:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by soooexcited! View Post
This house deeds clearly states its shared with boardering neighbours. It was as you say in my last house.
My 3 rear boundaries are all jointly owned/shared. When the wall fell down I got the deeds checked to find out.
We both paid half then.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 19, 04:08 PM  
Link to this Post
nasty
Imagineer

Mobile

We have a shared fence/boundary with our neighbours. We did have trees and shrubs and a very low fence which gradually over time fell apart. The neighbours over the years asked us to share cost to replace the fence but once it had gone we were happy with the shrubs until someone set fire to another neighbours trees one night and almost burnt their house down in the process.
We spoke to the neighbours who agreed they’d love to get the new fence sorted so we agreed quotes and arranged the job.
They mysteriously weren’t available the day it came to pay and foolishly we paid it all in full.
Queue the neighbours to call the following day to say they didn’t like it (even though they’d agreed to it all through the planning) and wouldn’t be paying.
Needless to say that was the end of our neighbourly friendship 😡
nasty is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 19, 04:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Jan
Imagineer

Jan's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
If the neighbours want to put their own fence then they can do provided unit is entirely on their own land and does not encroach on your land.
Jan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 19, 07:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Talland 2016
Imagineer

Originally Posted by bernard301 View Post

This doesn't apply in my case
I've ended up with the longest side fence ever
Talland 2016 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List