Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 18 Dec 19, 05:20 PM  
Link to this Post
JudgeJ26
Imagineer

Mobile

I work in a residential home for adults with learning disabilities. I'm working Christmas Day night and Boxing Day Night.
JudgeJ26 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Dec 19, 05:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Do5-BaG
Very Serious Dibber

Could be worse, I went back to work December 4th and I'm currently on a giant FPSO floating in the middle of the ocean off West Africa and I'm the only native English speaker, it's 70% French and the rest local Angolan or Congolese, I'll see the green green grass of home January 03rd so I'll be having a late Christmas with my Girlfriend and family.

Only the 2nd time in 15 years I've worked it though, I've usually managed to find a way to get home, but I've now been moved to a B2B position so my French counter part has Christmas / New Year at home, silver lining is that I'll have it all off next year.

Edited at 05:26 PM.
Do5-BaG is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Dec 19, 05:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Cream Soda
Excited about Disney

Mobile

My daughter is working Christmas Day and Boxing Day-split shifts at the kennels where she works. Double pay for Christmas Day so she doesn’t mind 🎄🐶🐕
Cream Soda is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Dec 19, 05:49 PM  
Link to this Post
nasty
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mickey house View Post
I feel for you guys, and I'm also grateful for those of you who do essential jobs over Christmas such as the emergency services (including hospitals etc). I don't however, get why shops have to open on boxing day especially shops like Next that open at silly times such as 6am?
Yeah who wants a lie in anyway on Boxing Day 🤣. Would make it easier to bear if the pay was a bit more, but it’s only normal rate pay every bank holiday ☹️😌
nasty is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Dec 19, 05:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Labboy
VIP Dibber

I feel for you guys , worked shifts for 40yrs and only ever had 5 Christmases and 6 New Years off, 12 hour shifts are the worst.
Labboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Dec 19, 06:02 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Originally Posted by nasty View Post
Yeah who wants a lie in anyway on Boxing Day 🤣. Would make it easier to bear if the pay was a bit more, but it’s only normal rate pay every bank holiday ☹️😌
I thought there was some changes to retail staff being forced to work on boxing day (and possibly other bank holidays), but maybe I'm thinking of a particular store/company. I also thought you would be on double time.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Dec 19, 06:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
My son works at Asda with lots of Multi faith people who aren’t that bothered about Christmas. He’s been banging on about getting time off since August, his supervisor has given him the 21st off to see Star Wars. Then he has the 24th,25th,26th,27th off which is unheard of in retail! Ive told him how lucky he is.
Old 18 Dec 19, 06:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Deggs
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

I’m a housekeeper in a hospital and it just so happens two of my contracted hours days land on C Day and B Day, but I have Boxing Day off. Working 2-10pm on Christmas Day. First time in about 20 years! Not in this job though. The next four years, if I’m still here, it won’t affect me. My husband on call as a funeral director from 1-7pm so we’re eating on Boxing Day.

Deggs x
Deggs is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Dec 19, 06:14 PM  
Link to this Post
nasty
Imagineer

I thought there was some changes to retail staff being forced to work on boxing day (and possibly other bank holidays), but maybe I'm thinking of a particular store/company. I also thought you would be on double time.
I wish! 😂 or even time & a half 👍🏻 I’d take it!

No just the same old hourly rate 😩🥳

I think a couple of retailers are closing this year on Boxing Day. Home Bargains I think is one of them. Never mind I’ll be home in time for Mr Nasty to be serving up the Boxing Day lunch 🤔🤭🤣

Edited at 06:15 PM.
nasty is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Dec 19, 06:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Rebelrebel
Imagineer

I feel for you guys, and I'm also grateful for those of you who do essential jobs over Christmas such as the emergency services (including hospitals etc). I don't however, get why shops have to open on boxing day especially shops like Next that open at silly times such as 6am?
Its greed with the shops, the stuff would still be there on the 27th and as for Next at 6am, why? Their sale isn't that good
Rebelrebel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List