Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 2 Nov 09, 09:19 AM  
Link to this Post
pixie family
Excited about Disney

leaving LAX

We are off for our first trip in April.There are 5 of us including DH 2 kids aged 10& 4 also Yvonne my sister in law.
We have been to Florida many times & both my husband & i feel very comfortable now picking up the car & driving.
Question is how crazy is LA airport & the roads leading away from the airport we arrive about 11:30 am.We have not booked our car yet but it would appear that we have to get a shuttle bus to the hire company to collect the car.Are the hire companies based away from the main terminal? Any tips on driving/leaving the airport?
pixie family is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 09, 09:27 AM  
Link to this Post
Nicki G
Imagineer

Nicki G's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 7
I cant tell you about the car hire but I drove from San Francisco to San Diego this year taking the Pacific Coast Highway, which goes right by LAX. The roads are busy but certainly not any worse than Florida. Plan your route well so you know where you are heading and you will be fine.

Have a fab trip

Nicki
Nicki G is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 09, 09:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Michelle
VIP Dibber
- DIBB Advertiser -

Michelle's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 9
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 5
Guidebook Photos: 8
We could not fault getting to and from the airport on the shuttle bus, it was so easy. However the roads after that were bad. As soon as we got onto the freeway it was manic, bumper to bumper traffic jams. We had to drive to LV the same day as we landed at LAX.
We couldn't have done it without our faithful Sat Nav, it really was a great help.

Edited at 09:47 AM.
Michelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 09, 09:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Diamonddog2801
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Nicki G View Post
I cant tell you about the car hire but I drove from San Francisco to San Diego this year taking the Pacific Coast Highway, which goes right by LAX. The roads are busy but certainly not any worse than Florida. Plan your route well so you know where you are heading and you will be fine.

Have a fab trip
With the greatest of respect, Nicki, driving in Orlando can be an absolute cakewalk in comparison to LA!

LA can be nuts - there's no point in saying otherwise. When you have 12 lane freeways, with bumper to bumper traffic, it is time to really concentrate and - most importantly- plan well in advance.

If you do that, you should be okay. But LAX is close to some of the busiest roads in the USA - you must expect delays etc. If you don't then get them, it will be a bonus!
Diamonddog2801 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 09, 10:21 AM  
Link to this Post
cloud
Imagineer

cloud's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Hi, my son lives in LA and i'm afraid yes the roads around the airport are horrible, would deffinately invest in a sat nav, however that said you won't be in the rush hour at that time.

Seattle December 2022
cloud is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 09, 12:15 PM  
Link to this Post
pixie family
Excited about Disney

i knew the roads would be busy but 12 lanes!yes we have sat nav covering the west coast but think i will plan with a map also so that its not a surprise when we get there.
thanks for your replies folks
pixie family is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 09, 12:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Diamonddog2801
Imagineer

Originally Posted by pixie family View Post
i knew the roads would be busy but 12 lanes!

That is 6 lanes each way, you know?
Diamonddog2801 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 09, 08:48 PM  
Link to this Post
pixie family
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Diamonddog2801 View Post
That is 6 lanes each way, you know?

How daft am i have just told my husband that there is 12 lanes he did not even bat an eyelid!
Old 2 Nov 09, 09:25 PM  
Link to this Post
travelmam
Imagineer

Hi, we used dollar on our visit in september this year, who's location is on arbor vitae street, which is about a 10min transfer time, and well served.
I think it depends on where you are heading, as to how difficult and busy the roads are.
We made our way straight to Anaheim, and to be perfectly honest, it was so straight forward and not that busy, even without a sat nav, with the time being 16:00hrs when we left the dollar office.
So I wouldn't worry to much!

1996 All Star Sports (Florida) 1998 Sheraton Anaheim (California)
2001 Carousel Anaheim (California) 2007 Disney's Port Orleans Riverside (Florida)
2009 Sheraton Park, Anaheim (California)

2009 - California On A Shoestring - Trip Report
2012 Azul Sensatori, Riviera Maya (Mexico) 2013 El Dorado Seaside Suites, Riviera Maya (Mexico)
2015 All Star Sports (Florida) 2016 Anantara Hotel & Resorts (Dubai)
2016 Azul Sensatori, (Jamaica)
travelmam is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 09, 09:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Cyclospora
Imagineer

Cyclospora's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
One thing to remember about LAX - rubbish facilities!

One shop, one bar, one restaurant and one cafe if I remember correctly. We got there early in case of traffic and were VERY bored!

May tomorrow be a perfect day - may you find love and laughter along the way...
Cyclospora is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread