Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 2 Nov 09, 10:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Harry
Imagineer

Harry's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3
We was with Dollar, the transfer bus picked us up straight away from LAX and it was a 5/10 min drive to the car hire depot. Picked a car (Dodge Charger) and away we went. Too be honest I was expecting bad as I had to drive to Disneyland (to pick up tickets) and then onto san Diego... all without any sleep for well over 24 hours... it was manic... BUT... teh traffic does move... just at 15/20 mph... if I can give any advice it is invest in a Sat nav'... I bought one fully loaded with UK/US maps from some Hong Kong company off e-bay for £50-00... without doubt best £50-00 ever spent.

"... he is moving like a TREMENDOUS machine... "
Harry is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 09, 10:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Ems!
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 12
As long as you have a sat nav , you will be fine. Like others have said, it is very busy but a road is a road and we found it sooo much better than we had expected to after reading about hellish LA traffic etc!
Old 3 Nov 09, 06:33 PM  
Link to this Post
pixie family
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Harry View Post
We was with Dollar, the transfer bus picked us up straight away from LAX and it was a 5/10 min drive to the car hire depot. Picked a car (Dodge Charger) and away we went. Too be honest I was expecting bad as I had to drive to Disneyland (to pick up tickets) and then onto san Diego... all without any sleep for well over 24 hours... it was manic... BUT... teh traffic does move... just at 15/20 mph... if I can give any advice it is invest in a Sat nav'... I bought one fully loaded with UK/US maps from some Hong Kong company off e-bay for £50-00... without doubt best £50-00 ever spent.
My husband bought the same sat nav i think from the same company,i had my reservations but we used it in Florida this year with fantastic results its preloaded for west coast so we will take it with us.
I have to agree for £50 it was excellent!
pixie family is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 09, 09:08 PM  
Link to this Post
mickchick
Imagineer

mickchick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
The trouble with arriving in the mid to late afternoon, as you will be, is that it's going-home time on the freeways. The traffic is not manic, or dangerous, because it's too slow and jammed up, but it could take an hour or so to get from the car hire depot to Anaheim. It is an easy route though, and the advice you have been given - to use sat-nav - is good. If it gives you the option of a route via freeways or a route via surface streets, go for the latter. You might have traffic lights at every intersection, but at least you won't be bumper to bumper on the freeway.
mickchick is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Nov 09, 02:45 PM  
Link to this Post

LAX is fine - if you are heading north, ignore the freeway and head for Lincoln Blvd (ask the car hire chap for directions) about 5 mins from the car hire centres. Follow that north then pick up the 405. If heading south, so similar but follow Sepulveda instead of the 405. Heading east into downtown I would personally go north on Lincoln towards the 10 and head in that way.

LA traffic can be crazy, but for every freeway there is a 3 lane boulevard running parallel that can get you to your destination far quicker if traffic is bad.

As for car hire, I think all are off-site although shuttle bus' run every 5 mins and it is only a 5 minute journey to the sites - they also tend to be far larger and with greater choice (and larger foyers meaning lesser queues) than those airports that have car hire onsite in my experience.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Nov 09, 02:45 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread