Go Back   theDIBB > Walt Disney World and Other Florida Vacation Planning > Beyond the Parks
Forgotten Password?
Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.
Attraction Tickets Direct
Unread 16 May 19, 05:11 PM  
Link to this Post
IndianaMac
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Ridersmom View Post
I don't understand why one would pay for a room and then not use it. Seems like a waste to me. I would do the keys at the beginning or end of the trip and fly back (to) either MIami or Fort Lauderdale. I know on domestic flights flying into one of these (FTL, MIA, MCO, and TPA) and out of another is not considered flying from a different location, same with most car rentals.
First and foremost, it's an escapism holiday, based around Disney. We've done three weeks before where we had a week on I-Drive then a fortnight CBR, and it felt too split... It was like, one bit over, the other bit begins.
Since then, we've always done three weeks on property, but once with a night at Hard Rock, and last time two nights Royal Pacific and two nights in St Augustine.
For us, it breaks things up a little, makes for a little variety, fun, and keeps a Disney base for escaping reality, without it feeling "segmented".
Plenty of folk take time out of their villas to do similar 🍻
IndianaMac is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Disney's POFQ - Oops, I did it again ;-)
Unread 16 May 19, 07:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Ridersmom
Apprentice Imagineer

INdianaMac,

I think the difference is that I try to be very frugal (or some would say I am cheap)/ I once did a similar leave the room and go someplace out but I had gotten both rooms on Priceline for around $30./night, one was a Doubletree and I can't remember the second.

I always stay onsite but I also think Disney prices are high for what you get. If it works with your budget, go for it but I would still do the Keys at one end of the trip. I think it is a long, BORING, drive to Key Largo from Orlando. The drive down the Keys can be beautiful in good weather not so pretty in the rain. Either way, enjoy your holiday.
Ridersmom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 16 May 19, 08:27 PM  
Link to this Post
archibald
Imagineer

Well just to balance things, I think it's a long FANTASTIC drive from the The Keys to Orlando. We saw so many new things on the drive down - there's a whole world out there to explore.
archibald is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 16 May 19, 08:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Hornet1976
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

I get you like driving but in all honestly you are on pretty boring highways for the most part until you get to Homestead / Florida City. After that the drive is fantastic and Google maps is very accurate... Until there's an accident and then you can be stuck for a very long time! Both times we have done the keys we have flown into Miami and out of Orlando but that's not a criticism. If you're intent on driving all that way I'd stop around the Key Largo area and take my time down to Key West - there are lots of great places to see on the way.
Hornet1976 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Defo not next year.. oops booked!
Kissimmee Swamp Tours