Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Old 15 May 19, 06:44 PM  
Link to this Post
archibald
Imagineer

Definitely drive. It's fab. It would take just as long to fly there with all of the airport faffing, and you'll see and do so much more.
archibald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 May 19, 07:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Tracy34
Imagineer

We've done the Key West Express from Fort Myers before.

We have also driven there and back in a day...it was an early start...but it was a fab day..

We love the drive there and back...we have done 1 night ...3 nights and this time we are doing 8 nights.

I love Key West...💖
Lindfields 2005, Hillcrest 2008, Sunset Ridge 2009, Windwood Bay 2011, Terrace Ridge 2013, Dallas Texas 2013, Bridgewater Crossing 2014, Terrace Ridge and Siesta Key June 2015, Siesta Key Nov 2015, Terrace Ridge June 2016, Sarasota Oct 2016, Sarasota and Siesta Key July 2017, Sarasota Oct 2017, Siesta Key June 2018, Siesta Key...Key West..Orlando Nov 2018, Siesta Key..Key West...Sarasota June 2019, Sarasota Oct 2019, Sarasota March 2020,
Tracy34 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 May 19, 08:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Millie2017
Dancing with Tink'

We're trying to figure out how to do this too. Considering having our days in Orlando then flying down to Key West and driving back up from there...
Old 16 May 19, 01:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Raggyavn
slightly serious Dibber

We did option 2 with an overnight stay in Fort Lauderdale.

We set off from Key West at 4 am and thus we managed to get off the keys before the vast majority were even awake. This is important because US 1 on the Keys is a normal (single carriageway) road and any accident or breakdown will affect traffic flow immensely causing big tail backs. Even with no tail backs and no stops (other than toilet stops) it still took us about 8 hours to drive back to Kissimmee (and I aren't Miss Daisy)

Also the local Sheriff's department also have a heavy visible and covert presence and some sections of road have very low speed limits, which can be strictly enforced.
Raggyavn is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 May 19, 01:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Raggyavn
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Millie2017 View Post
We're trying to figure out how to do this too. Considering having our days in Orlando then flying down to Key West and driving back up from there...
Try to drive down, the drive back is so depressing
Raggyavn is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 May 19, 02:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Ridersmom
Imagineer

I don't understand why one would pay for a room and then not use it. Seems like a waste to me. I would do the keys at the beginning or end of the trip and fly back (to) either MIami or Fort Lauderdale. I know on domestic flights flying into one of these (FTL, MIA, MCO, and TPA) and out of another is not considered flying from a different location, same with most car rentals.
Ridersmom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 May 19, 05:11 PM  
Link to this Post
IndianaMac
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Ridersmom View Post
I don't understand why one would pay for a room and then not use it. Seems like a waste to me. I would do the keys at the beginning or end of the trip and fly back (to) either MIami or Fort Lauderdale. I know on domestic flights flying into one of these (FTL, MIA, MCO, and TPA) and out of another is not considered flying from a different location, same with most car rentals.
First and foremost, it's an escapism holiday, based around Disney. We've done three weeks before where we had a week on I-Drive then a fortnight CBR, and it felt too split... It was like, one bit over, the other bit begins.
Since then, we've always done three weeks on property, but once with a night at Hard Rock, and last time two nights Royal Pacific and two nights in St Augustine.
For us, it breaks things up a little, makes for a little variety, fun, and keeps a Disney base for escaping reality, without it feeling "segmented".
Plenty of folk take time out of their villas to do similar 🍻
IndianaMac is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 May 19, 07:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Ridersmom
Imagineer

INdianaMac,

I think the difference is that I try to be very frugal (or some would say I am cheap)/ I once did a similar leave the room and go someplace out but I had gotten both rooms on Priceline for around $30./night, one was a Doubletree and I can't remember the second.

I always stay onsite but I also think Disney prices are high for what you get. If it works with your budget, go for it but I would still do the Keys at one end of the trip. I think it is a long, BORING, drive to Key Largo from Orlando. The drive down the Keys can be beautiful in good weather not so pretty in the rain. Either way, enjoy your holiday.
Ridersmom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 May 19, 08:27 PM  
Link to this Post
archibald
Imagineer

Well just to balance things, I think it's a long FANTASTIC drive from the The Keys to Orlando. We saw so many new things on the drive down - there's a whole world out there to explore.
archibald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 May 19, 08:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Hornet1976
Getting Excited

Mobile

I get you like driving but in all honestly you are on pretty boring highways for the most part until you get to Homestead / Florida City. After that the drive is fantastic and Google maps is very accurate... Until there's an accident and then you can be stuck for a very long time! Both times we have done the keys we have flown into Miami and out of Orlando but that's not a criticism. If you're intent on driving all that way I'd stop around the Key Largo area and take my time down to Key West - there are lots of great places to see on the way.
Hornet1976 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List