Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 21 Jun 21, 07:50 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

I guess that it makes some sense to place all of the aircraft and assets at the one location as they open up, served by two motorways going West (M4) and Southwest (M3) plus those entering the adjacent M25 from the North and East . LHR is also well served by the Tube. It is on the ‘open side’ of London and therefore more easily accessible to the majority of U.K. residents as it takes transitioning round the Capital out of the equation.

In the longer term, it will also make sense to concentrate the various aircraft types on certain locations with Longhauls at LHR and possibly the shorter haul stuff returning to LGW in due course. This will save on duplication of maintenance specialities and ground equipment.

With ETOPS on most, new aircraft now reaching 6 hours, it means that Hub and Spoke operations are coming to an end, with the longer range twinjets flying direct to your chosen destination, with smaller passenger loads and much greater economy plus lower airport landing fees a to b, hence the demise of the B747 and probably soon, the A380, that can only use the largest airports.

In summary, it would seem that BA/IAG are using the shut down as an opportunity to rationalise their operations and save on operating costs.

I am personally and selfishly all for it as whilst I intend flying a fair bit of longhaul in the future years, I have little intention of visiting Europe ever again.. and will never set foot in the Middle East on principle ( Racism by the populations, Human Rights abuses etc).. and if I did, then Bristol, Exeter and even Newquay may meet my needs. I have an intense dislike, when it comes to getting to LGW. It is a nightmare either entering the M25(S) at rush hour the evening before flights or using the disgustingly overcrowded train from Reading.

Edited at 10:13 AM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 21, 08:10 AM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Selfishly, I’m 15 mins from Heathrow so would always opt for flying from there over any other London airport. No trains, no parking or hotel costs. I would use Gatwick if I have to, but i’ve always tried to avoid it!

Miami/CBR/RPR/Bahama Bay Aug 16
Deerfield Beach/HRH/POFQ/Contemporary/Westridge - Aug 18
New York - Westin Grand Central - Nov 18
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 18
All Star Sport/POFQ/Aylesbury Villa/Deerfield Beach - Oct 19
Miami/Hard Rock hotel/Pop Century/Legacy Park Dibb Villa - Aug 2022

Saratoga Springs/Rosen Plaza - Dec 2024
NewtoOrlando is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 21, 08:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Disney45
slightly serious Dibber

Personally I hope they keep the Heathrow flight, flying from Aberdeen or Inverness means that we can get a connecting flight rather than changing Airports in London which is an added bonus.
2019 dibb villa @ watersong & Hardrock Hotel
2017 Terra Verde villa & CSR
2016 Sapphire Falls & PORS
2015 All Stars Music
2014 Sol Costa Dorada, Salou
2013 POFQ
Disney45 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 21, 09:15 AM  
Link to this Post
Bellasmummy
Imagineer

Mobile

We usually try to avoid Heathrow at all costs, Gatwick is so much easier for us to get to, the traffic is usually better and the parking and hotel options much more straight forward.

If we have to use lhr going forward so be it but I fit one will be sad to see the long hauls leave lgw.
Bellasmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 21, 09:32 AM  
Link to this Post
tootsie rolls
Imagineer

tootsie rolls's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Great more uncertainty, we are booked from Gatwick for the 11th sept this year already booked the night before at premier inn and taxi not sure how long I can continue with this holidays are supposed to be fun to relax 😞
Linfields April 1999,Westridge April 2002,Indian ridge April 2005,Hampton lakes June 2008,Westridge June 2010,Sunset lakes sept 2012,Rosen inn point Nov 2014,Residence inn may 2016,Hampton lakes may 2018
tootsie rolls is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 21, 09:18 AM  
Link to this Post
gavvy
Imagineer

All to do with slots, at some stage BA will have to start using all its slots again or loose them, with the 747s gone they don't have enough craft at Heathrow to do this so will have to move flights from gatwick.

They cant afford to loose the slots they have, they are worth a fortune and help BA to be the dominant force at LHR
Old 22 Jun 21, 09:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Our February flights have been moved to Heathrow much better times
We don’t arrive in Orlando till 7pm but gain a full day at the other end and just. 2hour 30 min lay over both ways
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 21, 09:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Reunion
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Thankfully I have all future travel booked from Heathrow - which is further for us to travel but sensed it was a safer option.
We're using Miami for our next couple of planned trips and will either stay the night or just push on and drive up.
Reunion is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 21, 09:54 AM  
Link to this Post
enjibenji
Imagineer

enjibenji's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Heathrow for me as only down the m4. I usually pay the extra to fly from there for europe as well. Save the hassle of the m25. I have thought about going from bristol as well.
enjibenji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 21, 10:02 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by tootsie rolls View Post
Great more uncertainty, we are booked from Gatwick for the 11th sept this year already booked the night before at premier inn and taxi not sure how long I can continue with this holidays are supposed to be fun to relax 😞
I’m at the point I don’t care where my September flight departs from so long as it flys , currently it’s Gatwick which we prefer but if it’s Heathrow , Stansted, Luton , wherever , I’ll take it ! I’ve changed everything so often already it hardly matters
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List