Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 18 May 20, 10:24 AM  
Link to this Post
GoofyK
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile Are we crazy that we still wants to go this July?

We have been planning this big family holiday ( my family, my sister family n my brother’s n my mum) for years. Save and save N finally got a deal we are very excited about for this July but it’s all uncertainty.
All balance paid. The question is will we get on that flight. We are aware If Parks do open there will be lots of restricted measures which we are ok about. Experience isn’t the same.
Whilst many ppl are seeking refunds I’m lookin at fast passes. Am I crazy to think we can still go?

Anyone still being hopeful?
GoofyK is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 20, 10:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Simon & Suzann
Imagineer

Originally Posted by GoofyK View Post
We have been planning this big family holiday ( my family, my sister family n my brother’s n my mum) for years. Save and save N finally got a deal we are very excited about for this July but it’s all uncertainty.
All balance paid. The question is will we get on that flight. We are aware If Parks do open there will be lots of restricted measures which we are ok about. Experience isn’t the same.
Whilst many ppl are seeking refunds I’m lookin at fast passes. Am I crazy to think we can still go?

Anyone still being hopeful?
You'll get varied answers and opinions on this. Some will say no chance, others will say there's always hope.
Some wouldn't go even if FCO say it's ok and Disney is open etc. Others would be on that plane as soon as they can.

It's down to personal choice really. And no one really knows when things will be open but it's all moving in the right direction positively i would say.

Good luck
Simon & Suzann is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 20, 10:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Lu Lu
Imagineer

No. Although I think it's unlikely we will be going (and I have no flights atm anyway!) I still have a glimmer of hope that we will. Depends on so many things though including what Disney open and what restrictions there are. I, for example, will not be wearing a face masks for 2 weeks in Florida heat!

ETA: If we could go, would anyone else feel a little guilty about travelling so soon after all this? I really want to go on holiday but not sure if the guilt would stop me more than anything else.
Lu Lu is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 20, 10:39 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

I honestly believe that depending on what you intend doing, your chances of contracting COVID in the States is less than your chances of contracting it in the U.K., particularly if you live in a built up area or, as in my case, work in a hospital. Whilst the numbers are high, let us not forget that the population of the USA is 5 times that of the U.K.Having said that, you are a long way from home, in the unlikely event that you 1) catch it, 2) require hospitalisation.

My viewpoint is also coloured by the fact that I no longer really do theme parks. I am in to touring the USA and on this occasion the West Coast. With my plans, I can pretty much maintain social distancing throughout.. An outdoor aircraft museum, Tombstone, driving the Coast etc.

The key to this is ensuring that you have insurance. Remember that you may have actually caught it and been incubating it whilst in the U.K.

IF I can get there and back in August, then I will most certainly be going. I am awaiting my COVID results as I type. (Working in COVID wards pretty much ensured that I would be getting it in any case).

I have deliberately selected a vacation that pretty much avoids any theme parks until day 5. (Phoenix, Tucson, LA, PCH, Monterey, SFO). I may even cut the Universal and the Warner Bros elements if I am a little twitchy.

Life goes on and I intend living my life while I can. It may be that at a later date, Insurance costs for long haul may become prohibitive for me. I have a lot of travel to do!
I am 60 years old now and believe that my long hauls will cease by the time I reach my early 70’s.
I ain’t letting a teeny thing like COVID disrupt my lifetime bucket list.
What next? We had Mers, SARS, Ebola and now, the 6th COVID to transfer to humans. What next? COVID 20.. or 21.. or 22? Life is for living, not hiding in fear.

As a former Soldier, Police Officer and now Hospital Security Officer, I have never hidden from anything and I have no intention of starting.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 01:38 PM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 20, 10:42 AM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Define crazy? Most of us are adults who like to go on holiday to somewhere where there are fictional characters walking around high fiving people 😂

There’s a lot hanging in the balance, and if the flight goes, and the parks are open & you’re all happy to go with the restrictions in place, then good for you. Some people, like me, aren’t happy to holiday like that, so not going, you never know, it might be a better experience all round! good luck to you x

Edited at 10:43 AM.
NewtoOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 20, 10:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Simon & Suzann
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Lu Lu View Post
No. Although I think it's unlikely we will be going (and I have no flights atm anyway!) I still have a glimmer of hope that we will. Depends on so many things though including what Disney open and what restrictions there are. I, for example, will not be wearing a face masks for 2 weeks in Florida heat!

ETA: If we could go, would anyone else feel a little guilty about travelling so soon after all this? I really want to go on holiday but not sure if the guilt would stop me more than anything else.
Guilty in what way?

If you mean because of the deaths and people still ill/going to die then no as it's not yours or anyone's fault (some people will blame governments actions but that's another debate!). I do know what you mean though but personally once the thumbs up have been given then its down to individuals/families to decide on their actions.

Many would have booked and planned holidays many months or years in advance and never ever considered this kind of thing happening so going on a holiday wouldn't or shouldn't be frowned upon once experts have given the green light. As for them lets say starting the football season up again asap then that could, in some eyes, be seen as poor etiquette possibly?

But when is a good time to start getting back to "normality" plus if you waited for the deaths and new cases to reach zero then we could all be in for a long wait. Death and illness is a part of life i'm afraid and life always keeps moving on.
Simon & Suzann is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 20, 10:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Thorpy
Imagineer

Having been for 9 of the last 10 years, some of those being last minute things when we actually planned to skip a year. The only thing that did stop us going was our 2nd daughter being born. I can certainly concur with the feeling that one you decide you want to go, it becomes a thing that's hard to shake !

We've currently awaiting our money back on flights for our August trip, and have resigned ourselves to skipping this year. At this stage I'd not recommend going, because the health risk and the potentially compromised experience just won't be worth the expense. I'd think you're better of postponing until next year, but I certainly understand if you want to go in July as planned. At the back of our minds is the possibility of everything opening back up, and if a bargain is out there, we are fully aware that the bug might bite, in which case we may well go this year after all.
Old 18 May 20, 10:53 AM  
Link to this Post
2020holibubbles
Excited about Disney

No you’re not crazy! Good for you for being positive. If I could go, I would, but I’m resigned to it not happening, but stranger things have happened and all that.
That said, I have done all my FP’s for July, I based it as a practice for how to do it next year, as I’ve never done them before, Figured they’ll be cancelled by a Disney at some point soon!
Good luck x
2020holibubbles is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 20, 10:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Simon & Suzann
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Thorpy View Post
Having been for 9 of the last 10 years, some of those being last minute things when we actually planned to skip a year. The only thing that did stop us going was our 2nd daughter being born. I can certainly concur with the feeling that one you decide you want to go, it becomes a thing that's hard to shake !

We've currently awaiting our money back on flights for our August trip, and have resigned ourselves to skipping this year. At this stage I'd not recommend going, because the health risk and the potentially compromised experience just won't be worth the expense. I'd think you're better of postponing until next year, but I certainly understand if you want to go in July as planned. At the back of our minds is the possibility of everything opening back up, and if a bargain is out there, we are fully aware that the bug might bite, in which case we may well go this year after all.
Exactly our thoughts tbh. We have cancelled DC and going to cancel Disney (ummed and arrred for ages what to do but the cost of it all plus my new bike helped decide) but our flights at the moment are still there so a coast holiday may be on the cards
Old 18 May 20, 10:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Donaldfan
Imagineer

Mobile

OP - why don't you pop on the August 2020 - staying positive thread. It's not just for people going in August. Loads of us who are going other months are posting on it too. We all still want to go and are hoping.
Donaldfan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List