Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 27 Apr 19, 11:22 AM  
Link to this Post
00swan
Imagineer

00swan's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Swimming solo - etiquette & practicalities

I've never gone for a swim in a hotel & just can't get my head round what you do?

Do you change into your swimsuit in your room & trek down to the pool severely underdressed?

Or do you wrap a towel round you? Or take a robe?

How about shoes - do you take slides or similar?

Then, when you get to the pool, are there usually lockers? Or do you just not take anything with you?

How about your room card? Surely you need to do something with this?

(to explain, I've got it in my brain that I might want to swim early mornings, while waiting on OH to surface, so won't have anyone with me to guard the valuables, etc)

I think the above is what has put me off before - I always take a swimsuit, but it always comes back unused as I just don't know what people do.

(EDITED TO ADD: This time I'm staying at Sapphire Falls, but am guessing it's the same at any hotel - whether in US or UK)

Thanks all
Hayley

* Orlando: 2006/2007/2010/2014/2016/2017/2018/2019
+ new booking Apr/May 2022

* New York/Orlando mix: 2012

* New York: May 2015/Dec 2021

Edited at 12:04 PM.
00swan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 19, 11:27 AM  
Link to this Post
Bartswife
Imagineer

I go ready changed with a beach dress or wrap that I put back on when I’m wet to trudge back to the room. I have cheap flip flops. We have a waterproof little carrier thing:we have had years which fits car keys, room keys bit of paper cash, we use it on the beach when we all want to go in the water together or down to the hotel pool or even at the water parks.
Bartswife is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 19, 11:30 AM  
Link to this Post
pinkstargirl
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Personally I'd change in my room and wrap myself (bottom half at least!) in a towel, stick some flip flops on and head down. I'd just take the room key or if hubby will be awake when you return you could just knock on the door! I wouldn't take valuables without someone to watch them.

I've not stayed in that hotel so someone who has may have more info about lockers or changing areas.
pinkstargirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 19, 11:33 AM  
Link to this Post
IBEX23
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I am assuming you mean while on holiday rather than just at a regular hotel here.

On holiday, I put my swimwear on in the room, then pop my shorts over my swimwear. Grab a towel and head to the pool.

I have some cheap flip flops to use around the pool and as I always stay on site I wear my magic band in the pool. If it was still key card, I’d just leave that in my shorts which once I’ve took them off stay on a lounger within eyesight range.

Then heading back to the room, I just wrap in the towel and carry my shorts. Being solo means I wouldn’t take any other items to the pool besides magic band/room key and towel.
IBEX23 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 19, 11:35 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

I put my costume in and then put on a cover up. A loose casual dress is good. Or some shorts. Then I’d take as little as possible, At Disney you can wear your room key on your wrist. Otherwise I’d leave my room key with my towel and dress on a chair.

The pool isn’t usually do big that you can’t keep an eye on your things and early morning it’s likely to be quiet.

Alternatively a waterproof box works but I don’t like to swim with one around my neck.

I’ve never seen poolside lockers.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Link to this Post
olgaandcoda
Imagineer

olgaandcoda's Reviews
Change in your room, pop on a sundress, or shorts and t; some hotels don’t allow swimwear alone in the foyer etc. Take just your bare essentials, towels will be at the poolside to use. Leave your stuff in a place you can see them from the pool, I very much doubt you will have any issues.
I often went for a swim on my own in hotels, DH would be back in the room. Early morning will be nice and quiet too hopefully.
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by pinkstargirl View Post
Personally I'd change in my room and wrap myself (bottom half at least!) in a towel, stick some flip flops on and head down. I'd just take the room key or if hubby will be awake when you return you could just knock on the door! I wouldn't take valuables without someone to watch them.
This exactly. I have stayed in hotels with changing cubicles (a bit like little individual sheds) but not lockers. I always have cheap flip flops for around pool.
Enjoy!
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 19, 11:58 AM  
Link to this Post
00swan
Imagineer

00swan's Reviews
Thanks everyone - that makes sense

No excuses now !

* Orlando: 2006/2007/2010/2014/2016/2017/2018/2019
+ new booking Apr/May 2022

* New York/Orlando mix: 2012

* New York: May 2015/Dec 2021
00swan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 19, 12:03 PM  
Link to this Post
olgaandcoda
Imagineer

olgaandcoda's Reviews
Originally Posted by 00swan View Post
Thanks everyone - that makes sense

No excuses now !
Just do it, no one will notice you. A morning swim sets you up for the day too!
Old 27 Apr 19, 03:44 PM  
Link to this Post
ChoppyGirl
VIP Dibber

I have this to wear over my cossie

2014 Saratoga Springs Resort
2017 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2019 Highlands Reserve/Grand Plaza/Boardwalk Villa
2023 Vero Beach/Portofino Bay/Coronado Springs Club level

2024 Wilderness Lodge/Grand Floridian
2025 Disneyland Hotel DLP
ChoppyGirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List