Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 15 Dec 19, 09:54 AM  
Link to this Post
orlandoN21
Apprentice Imagineer

orlandoN21's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Should I use this plastic protector on my suitcase

Packed and ready to make my way to Premier Inn Gatwick later today for twilight check-in. Lol...there is also a suitcase within this one.

Has anyone used a plastic protector on their case... and if yes, has it been damaged by Homeland Security at MCO and so I shouldn't use it? Thanks

1991 Travelodge Kissimmee / 1996 Holiday Inn I-Drive / 2000+2002 Rosen Centre I-Drive / 2007+2015+solo 2017+ solo Feb2019+solo Dec2019+solo Dec2023+solo June2024 Rosen Plaza I-Drive / 2011 Point Orlando / 2011 Rosen Shingle Creek / 2015 Loews Royal Pacific / solo Feb2019 Hilton Grand Vacations / solo Dec2019 Holiday Inn Disney Springs
orlandoN21 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Dec 19, 10:16 AM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Personally have never bothered, we have hard shell cases and as such are waterproof, if they get damaged in transit then I would claim back from the airline
NewtoOrlando is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Dec 19, 10:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
My concern with these plastic covers is how do the TSA etc get into the case?

I lay odds they would use a knife and slash through it thus ruining the case itself.

However if it's a custom fit zipped up type I think they are a good idea as the TSA will just unzip them - hopefully!

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Dec 19, 10:41 AM  
Link to this Post
ELLENUT
Imagineer

If you are concerned about your items getting wet when landing in rain etc.. Then personally I would be inclined to pack clothes in bags or packing cubes. I would be concerned that TSA would cut into that, also maybe they would be more likely to pull this case to one side for checks.
1992: Days Inn Lakeside 1994:HOliday inn Maingate East 2006:Pop Century 2008:Saratoga Villas 2010:Regal oaks 2013:Indian Ridge Villa 2015:BA Club,Disney,POR,Villa, RPR,2016 United business, Sunset Ridge villa 2019: Virgin, 4 Corners Villa 2023: CSR & 4 Corners Villa again!
ELLENUT is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Dec 19, 10:43 AM  
Link to this Post
scoobydooby
VIP Dibber

I wouldn’t bother. Your case is going to get treated badly whatever you do. There are very few things I pay top dollar for but with suitcases I’ve gone expensive hard shell. Has served me well. When I was less flush I went very cheap so if they got ruined it wasn’t the end of the world. I agree with Mr TOM. Unless it’s got a zip TSA May slash it which runs the risk of them also slashing your case.
scoobydooby is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Dec 19, 10:48 AM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

you stand less chances of it being damaged if you fly direct, from LGW to MCO, as TSA will not inspect your suitcase (UK security will, and I won't try to guess if they're mre zealous than their US counterparts) ... if flying inderect through a US airport, TSA will rip that protector open

having a suitcase within the first suitcase will probably trigger a check, at least it's always been the case for me when packing a suitcase inside a suitcase (probably the metal frame and the retractable handle mecanism and stuff showing on x-ray, IDK)

from MCO to LGW then your suitcase is more likely to be inspected, and the protection removed.
as Mr Tom said, let's just hope they don't cut through with a knife

you're supposed to not make inspection more difficult than it should, that's the reason you're supposed to use TSA locks if you use locks at all (I don't) and if you use any other kind of locks, they'll break it and not be liable for that.

I've had many suitcases damaged over the years, and to be honest, most of the times, the damage would not have been prevented by a mere plastic sheet covering

what these kind of covers do is to prevent the case from opening, (and avoid your running across the conveyor belt at MCO to gather your socks and undies when your case burst open (don't laugh it happened to someone who used to come on here )

but there a good luggage belt with a 3 prong clasp acheives the same

the other thing it does is make it more difficult for would be thieves to go through your luggage in the bowels of an airport (happens more than you know)

but there you could also consider that, for a malevolent person, the more protected a suitcase is, the more likely the owner wanted to protect something of value inside ...

Sorry I didn't help you decide. I'm just giving my POV : money down the drain, I'd just keep for spends during my trip

if the case gets ruined, or otherwise damaged, your airline will most likely refund, especially so if the case is rather new and you have a receipt for it

I've had a case that was pierced through (yup, an half inch round hole one one side ... and that was a hardshell) Lufthansa refunded ( retail value on receipt) and credited me with a fair number of miles I've used on amazon gift card to replace the suitcase while I kept the cash ...

Edited at 10:52 AM.
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Dec 19, 11:09 AM  
Link to this Post
orlandoN21
Apprentice Imagineer

orlandoN21's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Thanks for the replies... both are hard shell cases anyway...first time of using as I only used to use soft cases. But protector now taken off and two TSA locks now fitted.

I've travelled with a suitcase within a suitcase on several occasions with no problems before.
1991 Travelodge Kissimmee / 1996 Holiday Inn I-Drive / 2000+2002 Rosen Centre I-Drive / 2007+2015+solo 2017+ solo Feb2019+solo Dec2019+solo Dec2023+solo June2024 Rosen Plaza I-Drive / 2011 Point Orlando / 2011 Rosen Shingle Creek / 2015 Loews Royal Pacific / solo Feb2019 Hilton Grand Vacations / solo Dec2019 Holiday Inn Disney Springs
orlandoN21 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Dec 19, 05:35 AM  
Link to this Post
chelynnah
VIP Dibber

chelynnah's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 4
Originally Posted by chmurf View Post
you stand less chances of it being damaged if you fly direct, from LGW to MCO, as TSA will not inspect your suitcase (UK security will, and I won't try to guess if they're mre zealous than their US counterparts) ... if flying inderect through a US airport, TSA will rip that protector open

having a suitcase within the first suitcase will probably trigger a check, at least it's always been the case for me when packing a suitcase inside a suitcase (probably the metal frame and the retractable handle mecanism and stuff showing on x-ray, IDK)

from MCO to LGW then your suitcase is more likely to be inspected, and the protection removed.
as Mr Tom said, let's just hope they don't cut through with a knife

you're supposed to not make inspection more difficult than it should, that's the reason you're supposed to use TSA locks if you use locks at all (I don't) and if you use any other kind of locks, they'll break it and not be liable for that.

I've had many suitcases damaged over the years, and to be honest, most of the times, the damage would not have been prevented by a mere plastic sheet covering

what these kind of covers do is to prevent the case from opening, (and avoid your running across the conveyor belt at MCO to gather your socks and undies when your case burst open (don't laugh it happened to someone who used to come on here )

but there a good luggage belt with a 3 prong clasp acheives the same

the other thing it does is make it more difficult for would be thieves to go through your luggage in the bowels of an airport (happens more than you know)

but there you could also consider that, for a malevolent person, the more protected a suitcase is, the more likely the owner wanted to protect something of value inside ...

Sorry I didn't help you decide. I'm just giving my POV : money down the drain, I'd just keep for spends during my trip

if the case gets ruined, or otherwise damaged, your airline will most likely refund, especially so if the case is rather new and you have a receipt for it

I've had a case that was pierced through (yup, an half inch round hole one one side ... and that was a hardshell) Lufthansa refunded ( retail value on receipt) and credited me with a fair number of miles I've used on amazon gift card to replace the suitcase while I kept the cash ...
Interesting. I always travel over to Canada or US with a case inside a case and those have never been checked. But I’ve had a few single cases opened on return.
WDW several trips as a child; WDW 1993 on working vacation; DLP Sept 2003 - Newport Bay Hotel; WDW January 2007 - offsite HGVC Tuscany Suites; DLP Sept 2008 - DLH; WDW/US/BG January 2013 - offsite HGVC Tuscany Suites; WDW/US and MVMCP Nov 2015 - offsite townhouse; DLP Sept 2016 - Hotel B&B; WDW Feb 2017 - POFQ; DLP June 2017 - SL GF; DLP Sept 2017 - NPB CC; DLP Nov 2018 - SL; WDW Feb 2019 - WDW Princess Half POFQ; DLP Sept 2019 - SL & DLH;
chelynnah is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Dec 19, 10:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldcoast
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by scoobydooby View Post
I wouldn’t bother. Your case is going to get treated badly whatever you do. There are very few things I pay top dollar for but with suitcases I’ve gone expensive hard shell. Has served me well. When I was less flush I went very cheap so if they got ruined it wasn’t the end of the world. I agree with Mr TOM. Unless it’s got a zip TSA May slash it which runs the risk of them also slashing your case.
It's always amazed me how we all accept the way the treat our luggage.
Goldcoast is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List