Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 2 Mar 20, 11:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Aims
Imagineer

Mobile

Speaking as a local, these are the things I enjoy doing in San Diego.

San Diego Zoo tops my list. It is such beautiful place with so much going on, and you can easily spend a full day here.

Balboa Park- you don’t like doing park strolls but Balboa Park is really lovely and has some great museums (if your family likes those). I would recommend the Natural History museum, the Reuben H Fleet Science center and IMAX dome theater, the model railroad museum, and the international cottages. The Prado is a good restaurant to have lunch at in Balboa Park. There is a visitor’s center in the House of Hospitality (where the Prado is located) where you can pick up maps, San Diego souvenirs, snacks and get local recommendations from the staff of volunteers that work there.

Sea World is a fun day out and can fill a day up. Mission Beach is close by and has a beachside amusement park called Belmont Park with a variety of carnival type rides, mini golf and a historic wooden rollercoaster.

Take a walk through Seaport Village which is downtown on the bay. It’s easy to walk there from the USS Midway and there are some interesting sights along the bay.

Take a harbor cruise- they do 1 and 2 hour cruises. The 2 hour cruise will show you the whole bay.

The SEAL tours are popular and you can pick it up in Seaport Village trolleytours/san-diego/seal-tours

Take a drive up to the Cabrillo National Monument in Point Loma and see the old lighthouse museum there. It is high on a bluff overlooking the ocean and the views are stunning. This is a national park and a quick drive from Shelter Island and the airport area.

Old Town State Park is a favorite area of mine too. It is the oldest and most historic locale in San Diego, being the site of the first city settlement. You get a taste of Mexican culture and atmosphere, there are a few of the original adobe buildings still there and I love to go for Mexican food at one of several restaurants in the park. The infamous, reportedly haunted old home, The Whaley House, is a museum there that you can check out. I would also recommend taking the Old Town Trolley tour from Old Town. It is a guided, narrated tour of San Diego that covers the city and goes over the bridge into Coronado. You can hop off at any of the numerous stops it makes, or just stay on for the duration which is about two hours. trolleytours/san-diego

Take a drive out to the city of La Jolla and see the sea lions at La Jolla cove, go to the Birch Aquarium or spend some time at the very nice beach, La Jolla Shores.

The San Diego Zoo Safari Park is a nice day trip to make. It is located about 30-40 minutes from San Diego. It is the sister zoo to the San Diego Zoo but has a different layout and atmosphere. It is located in a more rural setting and in the summer months it can get pretty hot there, so be advised to prepare for the heat if you want to visit at a warm time of year.

Lastly, we are going into baseball season soon. Consider going to a Padres game if they are playing at home while you here. There is always a fun atmosphere, the stadium Petco Park is located downtown and has a lot of good food options around too. Sunday afternoon games especially are favorites of mine to attend.

Planning a trip to San Diego? Check out my San Diego planning guide at the link below:

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1047941
Aims is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Mar 20, 11:53 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Aims View Post

San Diego Zoo tops my list. It is such beautiful place with so much going on, and you can easily spend a full day here.

Balboa Park- you don’t like doing park strolls but Balboa Park is really lovely and has some great museums (if your family likes those). I would recommend the Natural History museum, the Reuben H Fleet Science center and IMAX dome theater, the model railroad museum, and the international cottages. The Prado is a good restaurant to have lunch at in Balboa Park. There is a visitor’s center in the House of Hospitality (where the Prado is located) where you can pick up maps, San Diego souvenirs, snacks and get local recommendations from the staff of volunteers that work there.

Sea World is a fun day out and can fill a day up. Mission Beach is close by and has a beachside amusement park called Belmont Park with a variety of carnival type rides, mini golf and a historic wooden rollercoaster.

Take a walk through Seaport Village which is downtown on the bay. It’s easy to walk there from the USS Midway and there are some interesting sights along the bay.

Take a harbor cruise- they do 1 and 2 hour cruises. The 2 hour cruise will show you the whole bay.

The SEAL tours are popular and you can pick it up in Seaport Village trolleytours/san-diego/seal-tours

Take a drive up to the Cabrillo National Monument in Point Loma and see the old lighthouse museum there. It is high on a bluff overlooking the ocean and the views are stunning. This is a national park and a quick drive from Shelter Island and the airport area.

Old Town State Park is a favorite area of mine too. It is the oldest and most historic locale in San Diego, being the site of the first city settlement. You get a taste of Mexican culture and atmosphere, there are a few of the original adobe buildings still there and I love to go for Mexican food at one of several restaurants in the park. The infamous, reportedly haunted old home, The Whaley House, is a museum there that you can check out. I would also recommend taking the Old Town Trolley tour from Old Town. It is a guided, narrated tour of San Diego that covers the city and goes over the bridge into Coronado. You can hop off at any of the numerous stops it makes, or just stay on for the duration which is about two hours. trolleytours/san-diego

Take a drive out to the city of La Jolla and see the sea lions at La Jolla cove, go to the Birch Aquarium or spend some time at the very nice beach, La Jolla Shores.

The San Diego Zoo Safari Park is a nice day trip to make. It is located about 30-40 minutes from San Diego. It is the sister zoo to the San Diego Zoo but has a different layout and atmosphere. It is located in a more rural setting and in the summer months it can get pretty hot there, so be advised to prepare for the heat if you want to visit at a warm time of year.

Lastly, we are going into baseball season soon. Consider going to a Padres game if they are playing at home while you here. There is always a fun atmosphere, the stadium Petco Park is located downtown and has a lot of good food options around too. Sunday afternoon games especially are favorites of mine to attend.
I am surprised you didn’t mention the Airspace Museum in Balboa Park, Aims. It is one of the better Aircraft museums in the United States. Certainly worth a look as a ‘freebie’ on the Gosandiego card.

Truth is that in your wonderful city, you really are spoilt for choice.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Mar 20, 11:57 PM  
Link to this Post
pinktraceb
slightly serious Dibber

pinktraceb's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 12
Mobile

Thanks everyone for your replies! I'm now worried 4 nights wont be enough!
The Bacon's Go Back May 2015
Ramada Gateway & OKW 2017
pinktraceb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Mar 20, 12:27 AM  
Link to this Post
Vinniecat
Imagineer

San Diego zoo is a fantastic day. I thought my teenagers might be a bit bored at a zoo but they absolutely loved it and would have happily returned for another visit.
Vinniecat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Mar 20, 12:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Aims
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
I am surprised you didn’t mention the Airspace Museum in Balboa Park, Aims. It is one of the better Aircraft museums in the United States. Certainly worth a look as a ‘freebie’ on the Gosandiego card.

Truth is that in your wonderful city, you really are spoilt for choice.
Ahhh, yes! That is the one I missed. I kept thinking there was another one I wanted to mention but it just wasn’t coming to me. The Aerospace museum is fantastic, well worth a visit- it’s quite unique among other museums.

You’re right though, we are a bit spoiled here- never at a loss figuring out how to spend a weekend! 😄

Planning a trip to San Diego? Check out my San Diego planning guide at the link below:

Aims is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Mar 20, 05:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Buzz242
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Another vote for San Diego Zoo, we went there with our teenage boys and loved every minute. We arrived at opening and left at closing time, we felt like we still hadn’t seen everything as it’s huge so returned a few years later.
San Diego is an amazing place to visit, so much to see and do.
Buzz242 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Mar 20, 01:25 PM  
Link to this Post
LLKJDisney
VIP Dibber

LLKJDisney's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1

I cannot add anything to everything Amy has mentioned here - Aims is the fountain of knowledge in the area but i can recommend everywhere she has suggested.

We also went to the Corvette Diner for dinner which i would give a thumbs up too

We went for a week and still needed longer
LLKJDisney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Mar 20, 11:34 PM  
Link to this Post
redemma13
Imagineer

redemma13's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Aims,
I remember you from 2014 when we were planning our trip to San Diego and your help was invaluable. We loved the city and there was so much to do. I never got a chance to thank you as due to personal circumstances that came about while we were out there we had to cut our honeymoon short and fly home but we did get to enjoy our full time in San Diego and we loved it. Thank you Aims.

We stayed on Coronado Bay and it was beautiful with loads of good restaurants - I would recommend a trip there.

Em
xxxx
redemma13 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Mar 20, 02:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Aims
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by redemma13 View Post
Aims,
I remember you from 2014 when we were planning our trip to San Diego and your help was invaluable. We loved the city and there was so much to do. I never got a chance to thank you as due to personal circumstances that came about while we were out there we had to cut our honeymoon short and fly home but we did get to enjoy our full time in San Diego and we loved it. Thank you Aims.

We stayed on Coronado Bay and it was beautiful with loads of good restaurants - I would recommend a trip there.

Em
xxxx
Thank you, Em! That was really sweet of you to post that. I do remember talking to you, and I’m so happy to know you had a wonderful time here.