Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Closed Thread

Old 26 Jun 20, 05:34 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by angelbabe View Post
I hope that you do love it and for the sake of future generations, I hope they love it too.

I can't see any other rides in Disney that are so controversial, not since they took the wenches out of the POTC.
It was not controversial until this morning.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 20, 05:37 PM  
Link to this Post
YLL
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
Even though I don't think the ride itself is offensive at all, the debate about its controversial origin has been raging on for years.
YLL is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 20, 05:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Leia77
VIP Dibber

Leia77's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

To be honest, I was aware it was at least potentially controversial. I’m sure other people were too. The theming is from a film Disney itself no longer releases.
Leia77 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 20, 05:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Unexpectedpenny
Imagineer

Nobody found this ride offensive until this morning.
Many people have found the ride racist (not just offensive) and have been trying to have it changed for years. I’ve personally seen discussions on it since I was planning my first trip back as an adult in 2009.
Unexpectedpenny is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 20, 05:42 PM  
Link to this Post
YLL
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Unexpectedpenny View Post
Many people have found the ride racist (not just offensive) and have been trying to have it changed for years. I’ve personally seen discussions on it since I was planning my first trip back as an adult in 2009.
Come on, nothing on the ride itself is racist. The controversy is about the movie it's based on.
YLL is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 20, 05:45 PM  
Link to this Post
angelbabe
Imagineer

The movie it is based on has always been controversial.
angelbabe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 20, 05:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Unexpectedpenny
Imagineer

Originally Posted by YLL View Post
Come on, nothing on the ride itself is racist. The controversy is about the movie it's based on.
Yes, sorry that’s what I meant, I should have been clearer.
Unexpectedpenny is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 20, 05:47 PM  
Link to this Post
soraia
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by GrumpyDopey&Me View Post
As the majority of posters on this thread will be white, middle aged, middle class people there seems be no empathy, no understanding of what it is like to be black in the south when this ride was based on. I am usually a very "oh whatever" when I see an "I'm offended" post but I have really looked into this with all the protest etc and looked up systematic racism and I actually think that even if 1 BAME person finds it offensive then yes its should be changed. It is a ride in a Theme park, themes change, life evolves if 99% hasn't seen the film then it doesn't need to be. I just think its very hypocritical to get offended that people want to change a ride that they find offensive.
THIS! Thank you GrumpDopey&Me!

I've been reading this thread in disbelief at how nonchalant some people are about this and trying to force the "it's just a ride" and "what's the big deal, the songs/characters are fun" story line. It may well be for you, but what about the thousands that it deeply offends?

At a time when many corporations are taking the time to reflect on their practices and circle of influence, and making the decisions on bringing more diversity & inclusion within their remit - it isn't surprising that they are looking to remove an outdated movie with problematic racist undertones that isn't available for public consumption anymore, and instead choosing to celebrate the PatF - a story with a black female lead which was a big hit, fantastic story and some lovely theming and music!

You absolutely all have a right to be sad that you are going to miss a beloved ride, and all have a right to say you have fond memories of this from the past. But no one has a right to discredit anyone else's opinion that this is offensive, you don't have the right to say it isn't racist (just because you don't think so) and you don't have the right to say it is PC gone mad. With respect - you're not the target demographic that it is offending.

The ride is going to be exactly the same, just with a less problematic story at its root. The imagery that has been released looks fantastic and I'm sure the music will be wonderfully catchy!

I'm certainly not trying to change anyone's mind - I clearly have a very different view of the world (as it pertains to some current affairs) to a lot of people on here and that, in itself, is disappointing. However, we're all different and that isn't the point of discussion in this forum. The point of this forum is to discuss Florida holidays and in that case I'll finish with this - think of all the new wonderful memories you'll make when this fantastic new ride is finished!
soraia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 20, 05:48 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Unexpectedpenny View Post
I have literally never seen anything about it before the virtue signaling this morning, but I will take your word.

Are you also campaigning for Be Our Guest to be closed and Cinderella’s castle. The sale and imprisonment of a woman is awful. I think Cinderella was treated very badly too.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 20, 05:50 PM  
Link to this Post
angelbabe
Imagineer

I'm quite excited to see what the new ride will be like. Mind you, at this point, I'd settle for just being able to see the balloon up at Disney Springs!
angelbabe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread