Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 12 Aug 20, 04:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Anything from 2000 on will have much better sound insulation.
To be honest 1970 to 1999 was pretty good as the brick party walls were a minimum of 9" up to 15" so can't really get much better.

Laminate flooring sadly has a lot to answer for as do uncarpeted staircases.

I know Victorian Terraced houses have tons of character but lets be honest some of their building practices were dire.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 20, 05:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Gingerlife
Serious Dibber

Mobile

We bought a new build semi 3 years ago and it was horrendous. The noise from next door was terrible, we could hear them talking through the walls. Their television was also on the shared wall and we could hear it clearly.
They were the neighbours from hell though so it may be ok if your son has nice people living next door.
It was a Barratt build and we only stayed 18 months.
Gingerlife is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 20, 06:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Purplefrog
slightly serious Dibber

Depends very much on the builder I think. We've had a new build in the 80s, which was fabulous. Another 80s build in another area where you could here absolutely everything from next door.
We're in a 1950s flat at the moment which isn't good but moving into another new build shortly, so fingers crossed.
Purplefrog is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 20, 06:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa-72
Imagineer

Lisa-72's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Mobile

We live in a row of 3 terrace houses, we are the middle and hear nothing from one but the other side are horrendous. So noisy all the time.
We dread weekends when boyfriends come to stay as we can hear everything and I mean everything 😱, the mother and boyfriend are the loudest at ***.
Adult daughter just has no filter or concept of time, we are regularly woken by her at 2,3am slamming patio door shut, talking to the dog loudly when he’s having his night time wee.
We have confronted them, complained to the council. We just don’t enjoy being at home.

Sssshhhh it was a secret, March 2010 Econo Lodge 1st Visit
Lisa-72 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 20, 06:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Bellasmummy
Imagineer

We live in a 1930's semi and hear our neighbours a lot!

Its put us off ever living in an attached house again. Hoping to move to a detached house next summer so there is an end in sight.
Bellasmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 20, 07:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Ils
Excited about Disney

I live in a 1930 semi detached and have a lovely neighbour that unfortunately is 93 and already planning for the next life...which is what he told me in the garden the other day. I keep thinking about what our next neighbour will be like and whether they will be too loud etc.

I then thought about it and realised I'm constantly apologising to him for being loud especially when I"m watching my football team. Also having two lads who are not the quietest and constantly arguing and banging doors. It made me think that it should be the poor ≈≈≈≈≈≈ that moves in next to us that should be worried!
Ils is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 20, 07:59 AM  
Link to this Post
JudyC
Imagineer

I appreciate all the replies but it's an almost new property only three years old. The builder was Keepmoat Homes. It's always a lottery with neighbours even in a detached house, I think another visit in the evening may be best .
93 94 03 2023 DLP

Edited at 08:00 AM.
JudyC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 20, 08:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Laura_<3
Imagineer

Laura_<3's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 13

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 249
Originally Posted by margshel4753 View Post
We live in a 1930s semi. Wooden flooring all over downstairs next door. We can hear her walking around, playing loud music, her son singing, her laughing, door banging etc. We had a quiet family before this and thought the houses were more solid. Would never buy another joined house. Keep looking at detached houses but haven’t seen anything that suits at the moment.
Sounds exactly like our situation.
Old 13 Aug 20, 09:29 AM  
Link to this Post
sparklegirl
VIP Dibber

We bought a brand new semi three years ago and we cant hear a thing from our neighbours. Maybe its because the stairs are the middle part for both of us bu the kitchens etc join and we genuinely dont have any problems. They have five wee dogs as well and they fight with each other, we only notice if they are in the garden and even then its only the tiniest one with his big brothers. Ours is a Barratt house but maybe we are just lucky with who we stay next to.
sparklegirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 20, 10:00 AM  
Link to this Post
MK_club1987
Apprentice Imagineer

I'm in a new build (20010) and it's horrendous, you can literally hear the next door neighbour on the toilet if your in the main bedroom... Now on the other hand I grew up in an older terraced house, and from what I can remember I could never really hear the neighbours.

As other people have said I guess it's the builders, the home I am in is a Taylor Wimpey home, and yeah it's just awful.
MK_club1987 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List