Notices
TV and Film This forum is for those DIBB members that want to discuss TV and Films.

Old 24 Aug 20, 05:42 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by mrsmickey View Post
I can’t see anyone has mentioned Pixar in real life too you. A few don’t work, but some are very sweet and funny
Thanks not yet, will take a look
The Prisoner of Vineland Mall (2019) Orlando passion, romance and fine dining...ok so it's mainly eating
Scream if you want to go Fatter! (2018) This report contains images some dieters may find distressing!
The 12 Days of Easter (2015) Rumoured to contain up to one good joke. Let me know if you find it
theCMG is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 20, 06:07 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Mary Poppins (review)

I was dragged to see a re-release of this (early 80’s?) with female cousins as a young child and HATED IT, made worse by how much they enjoyed it. This is the first full watch since.

Disney+
Some great great songs (and some weaker ones, there are so many)
Main roles of Mary, Bert and Mr Banks are brilliantly performed (child actors are good too)
The dance sequence with the sweeps on the rooftops
Innovative blends of animation and live action and cinematic tricks that must have seemed like magic themselves in the 1960s

Disney-
If this was made now it would be @30 minutes shorter with weaker scenes cut or shortened to tighten it up, In my humble opinion this would improve it.

Rating 7/10 obviously a classic with the most obvious message for misguided parents everywhere. We found it not that easy a watch now if you don’t have an earlier affection for it.

Latest Watchlist:

In Progress
Muppets Now! (Season 1)
The Imagineering Story (5/6 watched)
Once Upon a Time (Season 1)
Star Wars Rebels (Season 1)

Planned
Incredibles 2
The Jungle Book (original animated version)
Lady and the Tramp (the new live action one)
Moana
Bolt

Also re-watching The Mandalorian with DW
The Prisoner of Vineland Mall (2019) Orlando passion, romance and fine dining...ok so it's mainly eating
Scream if you want to go Fatter! (2018) This report contains images some dieters may find distressing!
The 12 Days of Easter (2015) Rumoured to contain up to one good joke. Let me know if you find it

Edited at 05:24 PM.
theCMG is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 20, 08:48 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Catching up with a few reviews here - The Imagineering Story, Bolt, Incredibles 2 and season 1 of Star Wars Rebels

The Imagineering Story (review)

This is an in depth look at Disney Imagineering through the history of the parks, as recommended to me on this thread. It was a great recommendation, DW and I really enjoyed this.

Disney+
Wonderful to see footage of Walt and other greats who are no longer with us like Marty Sklar as well as more recent Imagineering stars like Joe Rodhe. I was hoping to see Walt’s older brother Roy but don’t recall any video footage of Roy senior (did I miss him?)
Love that they kept it in the family with Lesley Iwerks (granddaughter of Ub Iwerks who drew the first Mickey cartoons) on director duty
Beautifully narrated by Angela Bassett (probably best known for playing Tina Turner in her biopic) who on the strength of this gets my vote for the next voice on Spaceship Earth

Disney-
As an inside look from Disney at itself it never does more than allude to major issues in the park’s history like the EuroDisney and California Adventure launches

Rating 8/10 a quality piece of work which is never going to be too critical of anything the Disney machine has done. That lack of a truly balanced view keeps it from a higher score.

Bolt (review)

Bolt is a lesser known but relatively recent Disney animated movie about a TV Star dog with ‘superpowers’. Has its moments but utterly predictable and has a ‘B team’ air about it from start to finish.

Disney+
A better use of the subscription than watching Disney Fairytale Weddings (DW)
Love the hamster character

Disney-
Nothing new here

Rating 5.5/10 watchable but not to Disney’s usual standards.

Incredibles 2 (review)

I guess the reason for the 14 year break between one and two is that they were waiting for a good idea for the story to come along. They should have waited a bit longer for my money because while this fixes my main issue of the first one centring on Disney’s least likeable hero it doesn’t have much else going for it. Disney makes some of the best superhero content out there, Pixar could have used a little more of that talent on this project.

Disney+
More centred on Elastigirl
Jack-Jack is fun

Disney-
Unconvincing villain with a very unconvincing motive
Introduces a succession of forgettable new superhero characters

Rating 5.5/10 less focus on Mr Incredible than the first movie increases the score but I’m still not a fan of Brad Bird as a Director or this franchise.

Star Wars Rebels - Season 1 (review)

I watched some of these on Disney XD when they first came out but it was way too hard to keep track of a kids cable channel so drifted away from it but nice to see this animated Star Wars series in full on Disney+. It follows the story of Ezra a cheeky, talented orphan street rat in space i.e. ‘Space Aladdin’.

Disney+
Could make a nice entry point into the Star Wars galaxy for those with kids of the right age
Strength of this being SW canon is they can drop in characters from the movies (Lando, Tarkin etc.)
The Inquisitor is a top notch villain (more compelling than Snoke) with a cool/original lightsaber design
Interesting new characters designed to appeal to everybody

Disney-
Basic CGI style animation generally worked but the occasional fail, the Wookies in episode 2 are embarrassing, they look like chocolate tree decorations
Some episodes are formulaic

Rating 7/10 I like this, it’s not exactly taxing on the brain but when did Star Wars ever meet that criteria! Does the job for a short 20 minute fix.
Old 3 Sep 20, 10:35 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Who Framed Roger Rabbit (review)

I thought I’d seen this when it came out but pretty quickly it became obvious that it was the memory of Jessica Rabbit seared into my teenage brain and I actually had no idea what the film was about beyond the obvious framing of Roger. This features a one time only cartoon IP dream team with all the Disney and all the Looney Tunes characters sharing the screen at a time when animation was not big box office.

Disney+
A fresh-faced Bob Hoskins gamely holds the chaos together
Satisfying when Bob eventually makes it to ToonTown
Jessica Rabbit (for the avoidance of doubt, not actually a rabbit)
Great for Disney and cartoon anoraks to spot all the characters

Disney-
Plot is secondary to the action
A few scenes are unnecessarily frenetic, don’t watch this with a headache

Rating 7.5/10 It’s maybe more a movie of special moments and groundbreaking technical achievement than it is a classic story but this noirish take on golden era Hollywood is good fun.

Tron (review)

1982 cult classic sci-fi movie that I’ve somehow not seen before. Was looking forward to this and while it is very odd it didn’t disappoint overall.

Disney+
The lightcycle scenes are truly iconic and I can’t wait to ride that new MK coaster based on this
‘MCP’ makes for a sinister AI presence. Like HAL from 2001 A Space Odyssey with less memorable music
Jeff Bridges

Disney-
Not always sure exactly what was going on in there

Rating 7.5/10 It’s the lovechild of Flash Gordon and Ceefax but strangely that’s a good thing

Remember the Titans (review)

Based on a true story, this follows the first season of a high school football team of segregated white and black schools forcibly merged together in Virginia (against the will of a lot of the town).

Disney+
Denzel Washington is as solid as ever here, all in all a good cast. Excellent child acting from Hayden Panitierre (later the star of Heroes) and an appearance from an almost unrecognisable young Ryan Gosling
Tackles racism in the US and makes the world seem a better place, found it genuinely inspiring

Disney-
Looking on IMDB the critics didn’t especially like this one. But the audiences do so who cares

Rating 9/10 I straight out loved this, if you enjoyed stuff like Last Chance U on Netflix this could be for you.

Will update the first post to include all the ratings at some point
Old 3 Sep 20, 11:19 PM  
Link to this Post
MissB87
slightly serious Dibber

If you marked down The imagineering story slightly as one sided I think you’ll enjoy Waking Sleeping Beauty. More warts and all look into the Renaissance period of animation.

Also recommend making of Frozen 2 and making the mandalorian.

Also enjoyed the series on guide dog ‘puppies’ being trained.
MissB87 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 20, 08:19 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by MissB87 View Post
If you marked down The imagineering story slightly as one sided I think you’ll enjoy Waking Sleeping Beauty. More warts and all look into the Renaissance period of animation.

Also recommend making of Frozen 2 and making the mandalorian.

Also enjoyed the series on guide dog ‘puppies’ being trained.
We’ve really enjoyed the making of Frozen 2 as well. I hadn’t heard of Waking Sleeping Beauty but it sounds interesting.
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 20, 01:02 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Thanks both, the making of the Mandalorian was already on my watchlist in the app I just hadn't put it on here yet. Waking Sleeping Beauty does sound good.

Making of Frozen 2 will be on the list at some point. DD and I need to get round to re-watching both movies first, we've seen the original a million times but the sequel only once.

Latest watchlist:

In Progress
Muppets Now! (Season 1)
Once Upon a Time (Season 1 - only one episode to go )
Pixar in Real Life

Planned
The Jungle Book (original animated version)
Lady and the Tramp (the new live action one)
Moana
Tron Legacy
Waking Sleeping Beauty
Disney Gallery: The Mandalorian
Old 8 Sep 20, 10:44 AM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Once Upon a Time - Season One (review)

This lavish looking fantasy TV show is a bit like Disney Eastenders if the dominant theme was true love as opposed to misery. I was drawn into watching this against my will but it was if I’m completely honest better than I thought it would be. Helps that it’s packed full of beautiful people.

Disney+
The plot is intricately threaded together, a lot of thought went into this
Plenty of familiar faces - Robert Carlisle, Claire from Lost, Gus the Breaking Bad fried chicken meth baron, Jim Robinson

Disney-
Found it increasingly tiresome towards the end of the series and refusing to watch any more. I can’t imagine the premise standing up for 6 more seasons of 22 episodes that were made
Occasional CGI wobble
They may as well have gone the whole hog and stuck the Disney musical numbers in it

Rating 6/10 Sparkly. Very much not my thing but DW and DM are both into it

Muppets Now - Season 1 (review)

The Muppets more than any other Disney property seem to suffer from uneven quality. Occasionally it’s inspired but a lot of the time total dross has been put out. I really want this to work so that they can do something with the areas in Hollywood Studios. Does it work? Ish.

Disney+
Always great to see the Muppets back and an effort to keep them relevant
Miss Piggy was born to be an influencer
Love the social media intern in the last episode

Disney-
Not as funny as it should be
A couple of the sections (Cooking show, Pepe’s gameshow) really grated with me and featured almost every week

Rating 5/10 would score it lower but assuming it is at least in theory still a kids show and aimed at younger ones (like under 10). As an adult I’d happily just watch Muppet movie spoofs e.g. Muppets Hunger Games, cast Miss P as Porknis Everdene from District Swine and you’re away right?

Edited at 07:56 PM.
Old 8 Sep 20, 11:27 AM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Mobile

I watched Once Upon A Time when Channel 5 used to show it - the first two seasons anyway. I am powering through them again now. I do feel it suffers from the US disease of seasons that are too long, and throwing in too many characters just to see what sticks. But Robert Carlyle alone is enough to keep me watching, he is so compelling.

(And yes, I think of King George as Jim Robinson every time!)
DLP: day trips 2000, 2003; Cheyenne Sep 2009, Feb 2011, Nov 2018; Sequoia Lodge June 2008, May 2012; Elysee May 2012, Jan 2013, Sep 2013; Disneyland Hotel Mar 2015, Santa Fe Nov 2016; Newport Bay Sep 2017, Ibis Sep 2019, Hotel NY Art of Marvel Nov 2021
WDW: Port Orleans Riverside Dec 10; SSR Nov 14
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Sep 20, 11:30 AM  
Link to this Post
salmim
Imagineer

salmim's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Mandalorian, Imagineers and a few others are good, but the lack of original content is woeful. It can’t hold a candle to Netflix and suspect it will have a big customer churn rate.
Yes I believe it may be one one year (very enjoyable) wonder in our house. Just, well, seen everything or most of it.
salmim is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List