Notices
TV and Film This forum is for those DIBB members that want to discuss TV and Films.

Old 8 Sep 20, 12:50 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Gill H View Post
I watched Once Upon A Time when Channel 5 used to show it - the first two seasons anyway. I am powering through them again now. I do feel it suffers from the US disease of seasons that are too long, and throwing in too many characters just to see what sticks. But Robert Carlyle alone is enough to keep me watching, he is so compelling.

(And yes, I think of King George as Jim Robinson every time!)
Robert Carlyle is brilliant in it, he might get offended at the suggestion it was the role he was born to play but he is so good in this
The Prisoner of Vineland Mall (2019) Orlando passion, romance and fine dining...ok so it's mainly eating
Scream if you want to go Fatter! (2018) This report contains images some dieters may find distressing!
The 12 Days of Easter (2015) Rumoured to contain up to one good joke. Let me know if you find it
theCMG is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Sep 20, 10:02 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Waking Sleeping Beauty (review)

For some reason we’d gone into this feature length documentary thinking it was another series so we got a little thrown by the length. This takes the story of the Disney animation studio all the way from the start with Walt’s 9 old men to relatively recent days of a fairly reliable hit factory.

Disney+
Nice to see Walt’s brother Roy appear after he was mostly missing from The Imagineering Story
Gave a real feel into the culture of a California animation studio
Showed the good and the bad to a decent level

Disney-
On the dry side. I’d have like to have seen more clips of the finished product as opposed to work in progress (others may disagree)

Rating 7/10 very solid and agreed it shows both sides of the studio, good and bad (how much does everybody hate Jeffrey Katzenberg lol) I don’t love the animated movies as much as the parks but otherwise this is a good, shorter counterpart to The Imagineering Story.

Mulan - animated original (review)

With the new version coming out I thought I’d finally get round to watching the original which falls in a cluster with Pocahontas and Hercules of probably good Disney animations that I missed along the way.

Disney+
The story of female empowerment and challenging historic misogyny is the strength of Mulan

Disney-
Jarring changes in style on the music (occasional synth pop sections) and animation (Mushu)
Mushu has the hallmarks of chucking a kids character into a movie they realised was dull for a lot of the audience. Eddie Murphy tries hard with it but he is basically Jar Jar Binks in this
Personally I didn’t enjoy the limited watercolour style backgrounds to the animation which rather than evoking beautiful Chinese art looked more to me like the studio trying to save money
A couple of the songs are well known but overall I did not enjoy the soundtrack

Rating 5/10 Charging £20 for the live action version of this. Disney will not be making a mug out of me paying that, the original is just not that great.

The Lion King - animated original (review)

Seen this many times before and it’s always been a middling Disney film in my mind (which may be controversial). Decided to watch it again before taking on the ‘live action’ version or the Beyonce Black is King thing.

Disney+
Soundtrack has numerous great songs, my favourite of those - Hakuna Matata
Good use of British talent (Jeremy Irons, Rowan Atkinson, Elton John)
Circle of life message and general ecology vibe is good for kids
Good fun from the supporting characters like Timon and Pumba and the 3 hyenas

Disney-

First 30 minutes is a snoozefest for me having seen the one key moment before, it took me two sessions to get through the film because of this
Bit stupid seeing all the zebra etc. cheering lions as opposed to legging it

Rating 7/10 For me and after several watches it becomes enjoyable @30 mins in when Timon and Pumba turn up and it’s good from there on. But with that soundtrack it can’t be less than a 7!
The Prisoner of Vineland Mall (2019) Orlando passion, romance and fine dining...ok so it's mainly eating
Scream if you want to go Fatter! (2018) This report contains images some dieters may find distressing!
The 12 Days of Easter (2015) Rumoured to contain up to one good joke. Let me know if you find it
theCMG is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Sep 20, 08:19 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Tron Legacy (review)

Based on the son of the protagonist from the original Tron this brings the graphics up to date and tries to create a version that will look futuristic for a while so they can plug the new ride at WDW. The visual style and ambience looked very familiar to me from playing Mass Effect games, as that’s an EA property (they also do all the Star Wars games) this might not be an accident so expect the Tron/Mass Effect mashup game from EA one day!

Disney+
Jeff Bridges, the older one who happily mixes 1/3 Big Lebowski’s The Dude into this role
Good use of Daft Punk on the soundtrack and in a cameo, they fit the aesthetic perfectly

Disney-
The ever changing plastic face of the younger/CGI de-aged Jeff Bridges
Michael Sheen tried really hard to chew the scenery in his brief, eye-catching role and I’m sure a lot of people loved this but for me he failed to pull it off
A bit like the first movie, the role of Tron is pretty limited
Too much silly frisbee combat

Rating 5/10 Nearly but not completely terrible this is a silly, unnecessary sequel that may have been better used as a pack of futuristic screensavers for Microsoft Windows.

Pixar in Real Life (review)

I really did not like this show. 11 thankfully super-short episodes of people play-acting Pixar characters in New York to a generally bemused public. Never mind paying £19.99 for Mulan, Disney should pay me £19.99 for watching this. They built the terminal from Inside Out and it’s still rubbish.

Disney+

Disney-
Just annoying. The unfunniest hidden camera show ever
Embarrassing that most of the NY public had no idea about the Pixar movies, they should have filmed this somewhere like Disney Springs to get a more relevant audience
On a couple of occasions the main intent seemed to be to humiliate poorly educated passers by and carry it on past the point of discomfort (I’m thinking of the Monsters Inc energy one).

Rating 2/10 with apologies to the person who recommended this I’m pressing sadness and disgust on the Inside Out terminal

Invincible (review)

This is based on the true underdog story of Vince Papale, a Philadelphia resident who ended up playing in the NFL. I love this sort of thing, recommended to me by the app after watching Remember the Titans (which I gave a 9!). Stars a sweaty Mark Wahlberg.

Disney+
Evokes the lives of blue collar Philadelphia well
Based on an inspirational true story
Lets that story speak for itself without trying to be too clever

Disney-
Didn’t do the greatest job explaining what position Vince was playing. I had him as a Wide Receiver and got confused with special teams (in fact he played both).

Rating 6.5/10 cheesy but heartwarming. Not as good as Remember the Titans

Mr Magoo (review)

I thought this looked promising, Leslie Nielsen in a slapstick role in a jewel heist style movie. Went in thinking Pink Panther but it unfortunately this shortsighted mistake stinks like a splash of Sex Panther on a San Diego newsreader.

Disney+
The animated opening sequence of a Mr Magoo cartoon is charming, it’s all downhill from there

Disney-
Leslie Nielsen strangely unfunny in this, not what i was expecting
Almost all the comic scenes fall flat
A beauty from ‘Kuristan’ is played by Jennifer Garner in a performance of remarkable woodenness. Ultimately, everyone in this is out-acted by the bulldog
When you have to put an explanation of how you’re not mocking the poorly sighted at the end of the movie, well it’s not good is it

Rating 3/10 utter dross. If you’re thinking of watching this...don’t. Watch Spy or the wonderful Mr Bean’s Holiday or even The Naked Gun instead because they all beat the heck out of this one.
Old 14 Sep 20, 11:25 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Beauty and the Beast - animated original (review)

This is one that I’ve seen snatches of countless times without ever giving it my full attention. Had the impression that I was not overly keen on B&tB but actually it was a pleasant surprise. It also helped that I’d listened to an obituary of the songwriter Howard Ashman who contributed a lot to this and so many other Disney movies (Ashman got seriously ill towards the end of this production and died soon after).

Disney+
Strong soundtrack. Be Our Guest is a stone cold classic and I like Gaston’s comical song too
Belle is an empathetic and sophisticated heroine
The animated objects in Beast’s castle are brilliantly conceived
This movie and the song Prince Ali from Aladdin (written from his hospital bed) stand as tribute to Howard Ashman

Disney-
Maurice is a bit underwritten as a character given how key he is to the plot

Rating 8/10 enjoyed this more than I expected to. Definitely prefer it to the live action.

Moana (review)

Second viewing of this but the first was on a plane so never the most reliable impression. Moana starts slow but steady and is kind of unexciting before really finding its feet once the heroine hooks up with Maui (played by the Rock)

Disney+
Love the sequences with the giant crab (who also gets the best song) and the coconuts
Maui’s conscience expressing itself via his tattoos is a wonderful touch
Moana is another good, feisty modern Disney heroine
Strong overall story
Sven cameo!

Disney-
Slow first 45 minutes IMO
Songs generally are not top tier

Rating 7/10
takes a little too long to get going but is a solid offering overall and I prefer this to Lilo and Stitch as far as Disney’s Pacific island stories go.
Old 17 Sep 20, 07:31 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Ratings given so far now updated in the first post

Latest Watchlist:

In Progress

Star Wars Rebels - Season 2
The World According to Jeff Goldblum - Season 1

Planned
The Jungle Book (animated)
Lady and the Tramp (live action)
Cars
Hercules
All the available Marvel/MCU movies (chronological order not release order)

Did try to watch the behind the scenes Mandalorian show but while decent it came across as the sort of DVD extra I never watched so I abandoned it after a couple of shows rather than give it an unfair low rating as it’s just not my bag.
Old 18 Sep 20, 11:00 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Captain America - The First Avenger (review)

Kicking off a chronological order viewing of all the MCU movies puts this WW2 set effort first, even if it is only the 5th to be released (4th of those available on Disney+ with Hulk’s origins story MIA). I must admit that Captain America is by no means my favourite Avenger but that’s not a factor here.

Disney+
Solid action sequences throughout make this better than it could have been
Red Skull is a decent villain and example of how a series of poor life choices can work out
It’s good to see early signs of how the MCU will hang together e.g. Tony Stark’s father being part of the program, Caps romance, the Bucky friendship

Disney-
Fundamentally this is all ludicrous even if it is the umpteenth movie to link Nazis to the occult
The Chris Evans face on the mini Steve Rogers at the start doesn’t work in a couple of the close-ups

Rating 6.5/10 Silly but enjoyable on the whole. Captain Marvel is chronologically next!

Captain Marvel (review)

Chronologically the second MCU film is this one. It’s not hard to realise it’s set in the 90’s, this point is rammed home with a sledgehammer in the Earth scenes (90’s music, Blockbuster video, dial-up internet gags, pagers etc.). The story scoots around through space and time, this is not one to lose concentration with amid all the Skrulls and Kree and Hala and C95 etc.

Disney+
Strong cast. Brie Larson is very good, we get a lot of screen time fromSamuel L Jackson (the most in the series?) and supporting roles for Annette Bening, Jude Law, Djimon Hounsou etc.
Nice tribute to Stan Lee in the Marvel titles at the start

Disney-

On the complex side for an action driven movie, it’s more plot driven if anything with a pretty significant plot twist

Rating 7/10 a decent origin story if a little hard to follow at times

Iron Man (review)

Isn’t it weird that after the MCU being so ubiquitous over the last few years that I still wasn’t sure if it was Ironman or Iron Man. Anyway Robert Downey-Junior does not design a suit to swim/cycle/run and flying would get him disqualified, it’s Iron Man. This seems so long ago now that I’d forgotten how good it is, a great way to kick off my Marvel sequence. With the ropey Ed Norton Hulk movie not being on Disney+ (or the Spidermen - due to distribution rights complexities), the next one I’ll watch will be the Iron Man sequel.

Disney+
RDJ is great, the perfect balance of unlikeable and charismatic
Could be your standard superhero backstory but this is done so well even if it is a standard American military fantasy dunked in Hollywood liberalism
Cleverly balances out the odds in the final battle to keep the fight interesting
The scene saying goodbye to his ally from the cave was surprisingly moving
The suit is extremely cool and this is the film that really celebrates it

Disney-
The original suit build in an Afghanistan cave is a bit like the A-Team going into a cow shed and building an attack helicopter out of plough blades and dung.

Rating 8/10 Very good. As the first one released...you know this new Marvel series might just do ok…

Bambi (review)

Next up is Marvel’s Bambi (Stan Lee cameo as a squirrel?). It’s not just sandwiching an old animation in between MCU films that makes this slow, it really is a hard watch at first IMHO. Nothing happens for a long time and it induced a sort of torpor in DW and I last seen in church (she gave up).

Disney+
Some gorgeous animation of the forest
Thumper is a memorable character
Gets more interesting as it goes along, a relief when the action starts

Disney-
The first half is very very slow by modern standards, too slow for me
Famous death scene was a lot less impactful than I imagined

Rating 5/10 a first and last watch of this for me. Sure it’s a classic but like driving a Model T Ford round the M25, it feels out of place to me now.
Old 18 Sep 20, 11:31 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by theCMG View Post
Captain America - The First Avenger (review)

Kicking off a chronological order viewing of all the MCU movies puts this WW2 set effort first, even if it is only the 5th to be released (4th of those available on Disney+ with Hulk’s origins story MIA). I must admit that Captain America is by no means my favourite Avenger but that’s not a factor here.

Disney+
Solid action sequences throughout make this better than it could have been
Red Skull is a decent villain and example of how a series of poor life choices can work out
It’s good to see early signs of how the MCU will hang together e.g. Tony Stark’s father being part of the program, Caps romance, the Bucky friendship

Disney-
Fundamentally this is all ludicrous even if it is the umpteenth movie to link Nazis to the occult
The Chris Evans face on the mini Steve Rogers at the start doesn’t work in a couple of the close-ups

Rating 6.5/10 Silly but enjoyable on the whole. Captain Marvel is chronologically next!

Captain Marvel (review)

Chronologically the second MCU film is this one. It’s not hard to realise it’s set in the 90’s, this point is rammed home with a sledgehammer in the Earth scenes (90’s music, Blockbuster video, dial-up internet gags, pagers etc.). The story scoots around through space and time, this is not one to lose concentration with amid all the Skrulls and Kree and Hala and C95 etc.

Disney+
Strong cast. Brie Larson is very good, we get a lot of screen time fromSamuel L Jackson (the most in the series?) and supporting roles for Annette Bening, Jude Law, Djimon Hounsou etc.
Nice tribute to Stan Lee in the Marvel titles at the start

Disney-

On the complex side for an action driven movie, it’s more plot driven if anything with a pretty significant plot twist

Rating 7/10 a decent origin story if a little hard to follow at times

Iron Man (review)

Isn’t it weird that after the MCU being so ubiquitous over the last few years that I still wasn’t sure if it was Ironman or Iron Man. Anyway Robert Downey-Junior does not design a suit to swim/cycle/run and flying would get him disqualified, it’s Iron Man. This seems so long ago now that I’d forgotten how good it is, a great way to kick off my Marvel sequence. With the ropey Ed Norton Hulk movie not being on Disney+ (or the Spidermen - due to distribution rights complexities), the next one I’ll watch will be the Iron Man sequel.

Disney+
RDJ is great, the perfect balance of unlikeable and charismatic
Could be your standard superhero backstory but this is done so well even if it is a standard American military fantasy dunked in Hollywood liberalism
Cleverly balances out the odds in the final battle to keep the fight interesting
The scene saying goodbye to his ally from the cave was surprisingly moving
The suit is extremely cool and this is the film that really celebrates it

Disney-
The original suit build in an Afghanistan cave is a bit like the A-Team going into a cow shed and building an attack helicopter out of plough blades and dung.

Rating 8/10 Very good. As the first one released...you know this new Marvel series might just do ok…

Bambi (review)

Next up is Marvel’s Bambi (Stan Lee cameo as a squirrel?). It’s not just sandwiching an old animation in between MCU films that makes this slow, it really is a hard watch at first IMHO. Nothing happens for a long time and it induced a sort of torpor in DW and I last seen in church (she gave up).

Disney+
Some gorgeous animation of the forest
Thumper is a memorable character
Gets more interesting as it goes along, a relief when the action starts

Disney-
The first half is very very slow by modern standards, too slow for me
Famous death scene was a lot less impactful than I imagined

Rating 5/10 a first and last watch of this for me. Sure it’s a classic but like driving a Model T Ford round the M25, it feels out of place to me now.
We did the MCU order thing in lockdown , didn’t think I liked captain America but enjoyed it so much more this time round .
We stopped short of End Game as it’s still too raw for me after I blubbed my way through it in the cinema 😳
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 20, 09:28 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Originally Posted by FizzyWhip View Post
We did the MCU order thing in lockdown , didn’t think I liked captain America but enjoyed it so much more this time round .
We stopped short of End Game as it’s still too raw for me after I blubbed my way through it in the cinema 😳
It makes a big difference watching them the second time around, so many characters and story-lines introduced that go straight over the head of the casual viewer at first. I wasn't really sure about the MCU until Guardians of the Galaxy came out so its nice to go back and re-watch them in some sort of order.

Which were your favourites of the series? I've got The Avengers next which I remember thinking was stupid first time around but suspect it will be different this time

End Game you are probably ready by now!
Old 20 Sep 20, 09:53 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Iron Man 2 (review)

On to the Iron Man sequel. This one promotes Pepper and switches Rhodey on us. Howard Stark features more heavily and there seem to be echoes of Walt in the way he’s presented here with the tache, the whiskey, models of parks and promises of a bright future. I’d confuse it for the Imagineering Story if he wasn’t an occasional arms dealer.

Disney+
I enjoyed the Mickey Rourke character
Some more key introductions, Paul Bettany starts to feature as the voice of Jarvis and Black Widow plays a supporting role

Disney-
Tony being allowed to drive in the Monaco grand prix on a moment's notice and being competitive is just so ludicrous. Americans you didn’t dare put him into the Superbowl as a QB did you?
The shift from the original Rhodey actor to Don Cheadle is jarring, a rare casting mistake in the MCU to not have this one sorted (it was a pay dispute). Original Rhodey surely regrets it now.

Rating 6.5/10 Middling/okay to good. Definitely a lesser film than the original for me

The next MCU film chronologically was The Incredible Hulk but it’s not on Disney+ I’ve seen it before and rated it probably a 5, it’s one of the weakest of the series IMHO. Not because of Ed Norton’s Hulk (although Mark Ruffalo is better) but it’s just not that great.

Thor (review)

Here with the first of the semi-serious Thor films with a heavyweight director and impressive cast. I may have over-favoured this because I do like the character and the effects are good.

Disney+
The awesomeness of Asgard, the Bifrost etc. is beautifully rendered here, everything looks great
Adds some heavyweight thespage to the series with Kneth Brnargh directing and Tony Hopkins playing yet another big name mythology/history character plus Idris Elba, Natalie Portman etc.
While I’m not a huge Tom Hiddlestone fan the Loki character is essential IMO to keeping these early MCU films from being completely predictable

Disney-
The Ice Giants are a bit of a rubbish foe (still better than the Dark Elves though, assuming I can remember which is which)
Natalie Portman brings a touch of class here to the cast but her character comes across weak and simpering which is disappointing
Thor’s friends ‘the Comic Con 4’ are pretty uninteresting (compare for example with Valkyrie)

Rating 7/10 of a similar level to the origin stories for Captains Marvel and America with CA being my least favourite of the 3.
Old 24 Sep 20, 10:12 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
The Avengers (review)

I really disliked this when friends dragged me to it at the cinema for what was released as Avengers Assemble here if I remember. Will I still want to heckle Jeremy Renner for being a fat archer (probably)? At the time it seemed a confusing mishmash and hugely overblown but bearing in mind by Infinity War I was fully onboard I’m expecting to have changed my mind.

Disney+
Hulk’s sections are enjoyable after his disappointing origin movie
There’s a Thanos teaser in the post-credits which at least reminds us that better villains are to come
Love the flying aircraft carrier

Disney-
Uninspiring story. It’s pretty obvious Thor can kick Loki’s ass as soon as he arrives, the whole thing is a bit of a nonsense after that
Manhattan gets destroyed again, yawn

Rating 6/10 I know this will be sacrilege to some but I see this as pretty average, a big old charmless mess that (but for the better cast) could pass for a Michael Bay film.

Star Wars Rebels - Season 2 (review)

Onto the second and longer series of this animated SW show. The first was good but seemed a little small in scope, happily this one looks to be drawn on a bigger canvas i.e. it really is the story of how the rebel alliance started to grow.

Disney+
The scale of the show broadens dramatically in Season 2 as they leave Lothal and expand the team and their allies. This makes the whole thing much less formulaic
To my surprise this starts to develop into real canonical Star Wars story, having not read up on this one I assumed it was a throwaway but it fits into the movie flow and draws deeply on characters from the movies
Season finale is great, I won’t spoil it

Disney-
Some of the animation is still not ideal, no repeat of the embarrassing Wookies from Season 1 but they still can’t do running properly (in a show where they are always running!). When Yoda appears he could pass for Larry David.

Rating 8/10 very glad I stuck with the second season of this because it improves in so many ways, really looking forward to Seasons 3 and 4 now.