Notices
Christmas Temporary forum for Christmas seasonal topics

Old 29 Sep 20, 09:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Bazinga 39
Imagineer

Ancestry.com or similar

Hi, my DH is interested in researching his family so I’m thinking of getting him a package for Christmas, anyone have any recommendations?
Bazinga 39 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Sep 20, 10:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Andi
VIP Dibber

My DH was given an Ancestry six month subscription for his birthday.

It hasn’t really supplied any information he didn’t already have, just meant it all got typed up and that was it.

DVC - Animal Kingdom Lodge

International Drive 2002, All Star Movies 2005, Renaissance at Seaworld 2008, Rosen Plaza & POFQ 2010, Saratoga Springs Resort 2012, Hotel New York DLP 2013, Rosen Plaza and Old Key West 2014, AKL, BLT & SSR July 2015, Crowne Plaza NYC, AKL, Cabana Bay, AKL Nov 2017, Crowne Plaza NYC April 2018, Rosen Plaza, AKL and GFV August 2018, Australia Nov 2018, RCI Cruise August 2019, Rosen Plaza, Pop Century August 2022
Andi is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Sep 20, 10:34 PM  
Link to this Post
discoclare
Excited about Disney

I use Ancestry and I think that's what I would recommend. However, if you have a lot of Scottish heritage, Scotland's People is better. I have an Ancestry subscription and then buy credits in bundles for Scotland's People. Find that works best for me. The only thing I don't like is the functionality for printing trees, but you can always export your tree(s) and import into different software if needed.
discoclare is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 20, 07:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Bazinga 39
Imagineer

Thanks for those replies😀
Bazinga 39 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 20, 08:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Mrs Red C
Imagineer

Mobile

I'd recommend Ancestry, they have different packages depending on what you want to achieve. Maybe get the basic then upgrade if necessary.

Bear in mind some people make connections in their family trees that are incorrect, so you need to cross check information. You don't have to upload your trees either if you prefer to keep them private.
Mrs Red C is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 20, 09:17 AM  
Link to this Post
kateh134
Imagineer

I’m signed up with Find My Past which has worked well for me. I have the pro level which includes access to newspapers which has given me lots of information. It’s not a cheap hobby and can get very addictive!
Old 30 Sep 20, 09:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Bazinga 39
Imagineer

Thanks for that advice
Old 30 Sep 20, 09:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Bazinga 39
Imagineer

Thanks for recommendation I will take a look
Old 1 Oct 20, 07:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
We started my Wife's family tree about 6 months ago and signed up for the Premium package - plus cashback via Quidco!

Absolutely brilliant to pass the time and also to dig into the past. So far we have 583 people in the tree and haven't even scratched the surface.

The hard part is Irish records as they're poor. The other hard bit is why do people change their names!
You were baptised as Frances so stop putting your name as Fanny on Censuses! Or even worse swapping your first and middle names around.

The big shock to us was how many relatives in the 1800's left the UK and went to America and Australia.

As a result we will soon upgrade to the Worldwide site

It's addictive but very time consuming.

Oh. God love those squeaky clean moralistic relatives from the 1800's and early 1900's. Check out the first Child's birth date and the Parents date of Marriage.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Oct 20, 11:05 AM  
Link to this Post

Ancestry is very good, I found out who my birth father was there through the DNA side of things which solved the puzzle of a lifetime.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List