Old 4 Aug 14, 10:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Alison
Excited about Disney

Alison's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Having a Whale of a Time Day 3 - Disney Wonder Alaska 2013

Tuesday 20th August - Earning Our Sea Legs

Surprisingly, we were all awake by 7.30 – even Stephen. Really looking forward to this morning – we were booked in for our Palo brunch. We had always wanted to do this! Nigel made a quick visit to the secret deck

Secret deck by makingplansfor, on Flickr

and then went and ironed a shirt. I was feeling a bit rubbish so I stayed in bed for a bit longer while Nigel took Stephen up to Beach Blanket Buffet for some breakfast. They brought back a bacon sandwich and a mocha for me but, unfortunately, I really couldn’t fancy it.

As the morning wore on, I just felt worse and worse. With hindsight, I have felt like this on every cruise on the first night/second morning and we should have thought of it when we booked our brunch. There was no way I was going to be able to sit through a lovely meal so, sadly, we cancelled and were added to the waiting list for the second sea day. We knew I would find my sea legs by the end of the day so just decided to do what we could and make the most of it.

The weather was dry and fresh – we were fine in tshirts and hoodies today. We had a good explore of the ship, seeing what was going on and enjoying the spectacular views.

Jack Jack’s Diaper Dash is always really cute!

Diaper dash by makingplansfor, on Flickr

And lots of little (and not so little!) ones were enjoying the princess meet and greet.

Belle and Ariel by makingplansfor, on Flickr

We spent a lot of time out on deck getting fresh air. Lots of people were in the pool but we didn’t brave it!

I started to feel a bit better so we decided to pop up to BBB for some food – Nigel and Stephen were not averse to a second breakfast! Some fruit and coffee definitely helped and we headed to the cinema to watch Monsters University.

Ready for Golden Mickeys by makingplansfor, on Flickr

Everything was ready for the Golden Mickeys tonight! We all really enjoyed Monsters University – it’s rare we all go to the cinema together now, so it was a lovely treat.

We had lunch in Parrot Cay – no notes as to what we ate but it was a buffet and I am guessing I had salad. More relaxing to eat there than BBB, though – it was good not to have to hunt for a table.

We split up after that – the boys went and did the Mickey 200

Number 5 by makingplansfor, on Flickr

and I went to a talk on the history of Alaska, given by the on-board naturalist. It was really interesting and I left feeling much more informed.

Mickey 200 is a car race, where you make your car from fruit and vegetables!

Mickey 200 by makingplansfor, on Flickr

The boys weren’t at all competitive and didn’t spend ages carving a carrot into a Mickey head – oh no, not at all …
Ready for the off by makingplansfor, on Flickr

They won their first race but developed technical issues on the second (the wheel fell off!)

On your marks by makingplansfor, on Flickr

All good fun and I came and met them for the last part. We headed up out of Route 66

Route 66 by makingplansfor, on Flickr

and Stephen went to the Edge. While he enjoyed it this time, he didn’t enjoy it as much as he had done on previous cruises. He was one of the older ones there and didn’t seem to pal up with people – we hadn’t yet met our table mates and, because it was such a different cruise from the Bahamas with so many different excursions and so much more to do and see on deck, he didn’t see many of the same people. Not a problem at all, though – he dipped in and out and enjoyed what he did do and we enjoyed spending time as a family.

Nigel and I spent a happy time out on deck 4, enjoying the beautiful views.

At sea by makingplansfor, on Flickr

Peaceful by makingplansfor, on Flickr

Isn’t it stunning? We could have watched this for hours. Lots of people were out looking for signs of wildlife but it wasn’t at all crowded.

Wildlife spotting by makingplansfor, on Flickr

There were lots of smaller creatures to see but suddenly the shout went up – “Whale!” Not just one but two and so close to the ship!

What's this? by makingplansfor, on Flickr

Another one! by makingplansfor, on Flickr

Whale reflection by makingplansfor, on Flickr

Whale reflection by makingplansfor, on Flickr

We even saw one dive down and show its tail – we were gutted not to capture that!

We got a message from Stephen to say he was heading back to the room so we decided to go down and meet him – on the way, we bumped into Daisy Duck and Tiana. Lovely to see so many characters just wandering around.

We went and got drinks – Stephen had a raspberry smoothie,

Smoothie by makingplansfor, on Flickr

Nigel had a bud light and I had a piña colada – I was obviously feeling better. Stephen decided he was peckish so got burger and chips from Pluto’s Doghouse.

Majestic mountains by makingplansfor, on Flickr

We went back to the room to get ready for for formal night and then headed down for the Captain’s Reception.

Us 3 by makingplansfor, on Flickr

This was quite busy and we decided not to queue to have our photo with the captain and officers but we did enjoy the drinks on offer.

Little tipple by makingplansfor, on Flickr

I had a cosmo, Nigel had a yellow bird and Stephen had an apple cider. However, we did queue to have our photo with Mickey – we’ve got our priorities right!

Meeting Mickey by makingplansfor, on Flickr

Our formal night meal was in Triton’s – perfect setting for formal night. Even the napkins were swish!

Formal napkins by makingplansfor, on Flickr

Tonight was the Golden Mickeys menu. No photos of food – need to get better at this for our next cruise! – but I had asparagus and citrus salad to start while the boys had prosciutto and honeydew melon. Stephen and I followed this with swordfish (which was absolutely delicious!) and Nigel had turkey breast.

At this point, the rest of our table turned up – a family of five, including a girl of Stephen’s age. We said hello but it was obvious they didn’t want to talk to us. Only Nigel had room for pudding – he had the Golden Award – chocolate mousse, chocolate cake, chocolate ganache!

We decided not to wait for our table mates to finish – it seemed a bit rude but they were a long way behind us. Stephen went to the Edge for a bit and Nigel and I went back to the room for a bit of a rest before the show.

Our stateroom by makingplansfor, on Flickr

Fish Extender by makingplansfor, on Flickr

We loved the Golden Mickeys as much as ever but jet lag was definitely kicking in – how tired does he look?!

Golden Mickey by makingplansfor, on Flickr

Back to the room and time to read, watch a bit of TV – and apparently order chicken tenders from room service! Don’t know where they put it all!

Dinosaur by makingplansfor, on Flickr

As you can see from the little card, we had to put our clocks back an hour so a chance to catch up a bit tomorrow!

Edited at 11:01 AM.
Alison is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 14, 01:40 PM  
Link to this Post
NatsyNoo
Imagineer

NatsyNoo's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 32
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Another fab day! The Alaska cruise is definitely on my bucket list for the future!
Love Mickey's formal outfit! We missed the Captain's Gala on our last cruise so it's a must for me this time (WBTA).
We found character greets hard going on the Fantasy, always with massively long queues but the trippies I'm reading of the Magic & Wonder don't seem to be like that, which I'm so pleased about! Need to get me some more character selfies!
Look forward to more!

Natsynoo's Trippie Index
NatsyNoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 14, 02:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Shopperholic
Trainee Dibber

Shame about the family sharing your table but sounds a great day apart from that. Love the fish extender, did you make it?
Shopperholic is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 14, 10:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Chilly80
Imagineer

My DH is the same on the first day. I've never seen the baby race but it makes me want to book a cruise just to enter Freya!
Chilly80 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 14, 10:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Alison
Excited about Disney

Alison's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
I did make the fish extender - this is the third cruise that it's done!
Alison is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 14, 09:47 PM  
Link to this Post
pluto66
Imagineer

Another great day great photos of the whales.
Old 22 Aug 14, 12:53 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

Im always curious if at sea days are boring but this sounds like a lovely say; except for the tablemates. What a shame.
BevS97 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 14, 02:57 PM  
Link to this Post
orlandosgr8
Imagineer

orlandosgr8's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Poor you feeling poorly, glad you felt better as the day went on. Really stunning views and amazing to get to see the whales too

Orlando 02,04,06,07,08,10,11,12,13,14,16, 18 &
New York 06, 11 and Smoky Mountains 14
orlandosgr8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 15, 07:11 PM  
Link to this Post
marlouwrig
VIP Dibber

I am finding this really interesting reading. We are booked on the Wonder for the Alaskan cruise this August. Just wondering what clothes we should pack as I guess it's not very warm

DVC Member BCV, BLT & VGC
marlouwrig is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 15, 10:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

We went in August last year and had a FANTASTIC time! We dressed in layers.

When at Tracy Arm, you will need gloves, hats and scarves as it will get cold.

When in the ports we wore hoodies and took waterproofs, but didn't need them.

I am in the process of doing a trip report of our trip in the Rockies and the cruise in Alaska.

It is bringing back fab memories!
1972 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List