Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 11 Oct 17, 07:08 AM  
Link to this Post
stevekath
Imagineer

Uni Leavers - claiming Universal Credit

DD finished her Masters in September so is now job hunting. She has a few applications ongoing but thought she would claim jobseekers while she is still unemployed. Rather than JSA it is Universal Credit in our area. She applied online and has to go for the application interview in a few days. When they rang to make the interview appointment she was told she would have to provide evidence of the date her uni course ended. She has spoken to the uni and they say they don't have an means of providing this.
Has anyone any experience of this? How can she prove what date she left uni?

stevekath is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 17, 07:13 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

There will be loads of part time Christmas jobs at this time of year she could apply for while looking for her proper job.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 17, 08:04 AM  
Link to this Post
SammyScotland
Imagineer

My DS has just finished his Masters. I think when he was accepted on to it his offer letter stated a start and end date for the course. He is still in bed but when he gets up I will ask him if this was the case. DS is fortunate in that he is working as a freelance reporter at the moment. He has a few assignments which are paying him just more than he would get on JSA/Universal Credit. This should hopefully keep him going until he secures full time employment. Good luck to your DD in her job search.
Old 11 Oct 17, 08:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Col&Ali
Imagineer

Mobile

The Uni should definitely be able to provide evidence of her being enrolled between start and end date. I take it the Board hasn’t sat yet?

Well done to your DD ... hopefully she will find a great job soon
Col&Ali is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 17, 08:53 AM  
Link to this Post
itsrachelhere
Imagineer

itsrachelhere's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by becsluvssw View Post
There will be loads of part time Christmas jobs at this time of year she could apply for while looking for her proper job.
Only problem with that is she will be committed until early January, whereas hopefully she could start sooner in a graduate role.

OP I guess it depends on how official the document has to be. Presumably the course lead could write a quick letter on headed paper confirming that the course finished on x date.
itsrachelhere is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 17, 09:44 AM  
Link to this Post
wombat girl
Imagineer

On our uni page we can print off a standard letter with the dates on - \i used this for council tax.

Maybe she can log on to her account at uni if she still has access to it.
DLP 2018 - Star Tours - A solo story trip May 2018
ASM 2018 - It's Looking like a lot like a Christmas Wombat- Solo Trip TBC
wombat girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 17, 12:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Warkman58
Imagineer

Originally Posted by itsrachelhere View Post
Only problem with that is she will be committed until early January, whereas hopefully she could start sooner in a graduate role.

OP I guess it depends on how official the document has to be. Presumably the course lead could write a quick letter on headed paper confirming that the course finished on x date.
Not really, if she gets a full time job she just leaves the part time role.
Villa Formosa Gardens, Flights BA/Aer Lingus
20th August 2016 to 3rd September 2016,
Warkman58 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 17, 12:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Jaybeez
Imagineer

Jaybeez's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Warkman58 View Post
Not really, if she gets a full time job she just leaves the part time role.
I agree. My son had a part-time Christmas job whilst he was waiting for a salaried role to come through for the internship that he had been doing, he only had to give a weeks notice.
Jaybeez is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 17, 03:11 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

It's a great life skill to develop working part time in shops etc, I interview graduates and you can see the ones who have worked and developed those basic skills and the ones who have not.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 17, 03:24 PM  
Link to this Post
JLH
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by becsluvssw View Post
It's a great life skill to develop working part time in shops etc, I interview graduates and you can see the ones who have worked and developed those basic skills and the ones who have not.
I agree , my eldest went back to Asda after graduating for a few months and my middle son worked in McDonald's at college which gave him really good work related skills . Both my sons got their first ' proper jobs ' they were interviewed for and I believe that working in retail (or anywhere ) helped them .