Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 4 Jul 20, 01:04 PM  
Link to this Post
marlouwrig
VIP Dibber

Plantation Shutter/Blinds Yay or Nay?

We live on quite a long private driveway and people do tend stroll up and down and kids cycle etc., however they do tend to peer through the windows and I feel 'on show'. No scope for running around in the nuddy Not that I'm prone to that but you never know

I have reluctantly put up nets as a stop gap but don't really like them. We have four windows at the front including two large, square bays. Do the shutter blinds cut out much light? I know they cost an arm and a leg but I was wondering if anyone has fitted them themselves as this seems a more affordable option? DH is dead against it but I am hoping for some points I can use to at least make him consider it

DVC Member BCV, BLT & VGC

Edited at 01:07 PM.
marlouwrig is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jul 20, 01:09 PM  
Link to this Post
archibald
Imagineer

Why don't you just ask them not to walk/cycle on your drive? I wouldn't want anyone walking or cycling up to my house on our drive, and to be honest it's not a problem that we've ever had. What is the history? Why on earth do people think it's ok to use your drive in this way?
archibald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jul 20, 01:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Mrs Valentine
Imagineer

Mrs Valentine's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 21
A more affordable option is - Just blinds. You can get them to custom fit your windows, in wood , plastic , thin or thick slats, all different colours. Look on line and see whats around and its so much cheaper than the shutters that are so popular at the mo. And blinds sit nearer to your window. (Than inches away like the shutters are).

DisneyJulie
Mrs Valentine is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jul 20, 01:13 PM  
Link to this Post
babywebb
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

We’ve got white wooden blinds Dh fitted them very straightforward Terry’s fabrics a lot cheaper than someone fitting them , I previously had nets and actually think mine let in more light than the nets did
Old 4 Jul 20, 01:16 PM  
Link to this Post
marlouwrig
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by archibald View Post
Why don't you just ask them not to walk/cycle on your drive? I wouldn't want anyone walking or cycling up to my house on our drive, and to be honest it's not a problem that we've ever had. What is the history? Why on earth do people think it's ok to use your drive in this way?
That would be ideal but it's just not feasible and neither we, nor our neighbours want to cause any bad feeling. It's a no through way shared driveway between six houses which are quite well spaced out along its length. It's on a new development and it also borders fields so quite a pleasant aspect for a stroll.

marlouwrig is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jul 20, 01:19 PM  
Link to this Post
marlouwrig
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Mrs Valentine View Post
A more affordable option is - Just blinds. You can get them to custom fit your windows, in wood , plastic , thin or thick slats, all different colours. Look on line and see whats around and its so much cheaper than the shutters that are so popular at the mo. And blinds sit nearer to your window. (Than inches away like the shutters are).
We've had them in our previous house and several of our neighbours have them. I just prefer the look of the shutters

Originally Posted by babywebb View Post
We’ve got white wooden blinds Dh fitted them very straightforward Terry’s fabrics a lot cheaper than someone fitting them , I previously had nets and actually think mine let in more light than the nets did
Thank you. The light aspect is one of DH's main arguments

Old 4 Jul 20, 01:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Ladyshopper
Imagineer

We've got plantation shutters. Bought a newbuild and they're one of the first things we did after moving in.

I love them, really like how they look. We need to do the kitchen, didn't get it done at the time as we were half considering an extension, but not going to do that. We are going to get the garage converted though, so will wait until we get that done as there will be another window needs doing in there as well.

You don't need them fully shut to be able to stop people from looking in. Also handy when the sun is shining on the tv!
Ladyshopper is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Link to this Post
archibald
Imagineer

Ahh, well that makes more sense. When you said private driveway I assumed you meant it was yours and going just to your house, not a small development.
archibald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

We've just had really chunky wide slatted blinds from Next fitted, they don't have cords supporting them but wide-ish straps/tapes and they make them look brilliant.

My friend thought they were plantation blinds from the roadside and now I look at them they do very much look like those.

The neighbours across have actual plantation blinds and they say they did block a lot of light, even though they were white, and that put us off getting them.

We are very happy with the Next ones, we've got them for most of our rooms now, we have white ones and a mushroom-y colour ones too, and will get them for the rest of the house
Cloverlady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jul 20, 01:22 PM  
Link to this Post
marlouwrig
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Ladyshopper View Post
We've got plantation shutters. Bought a newbuild and they're one of the first things we did after moving in.

I love them, really like how they look. We need to do the kitchen, didn't get it done at the time as we were half considering an extension, but not going to do that. We are going to get the garage converted though, so will wait until we get that done as there will be another window needs doing in there as well.

You don't need them fully shut to be able to stop people from looking in. Also handy when the sun is shining on the tv!

Thank you. The light shining on the TV is a problem for us and I find myself having to shut the curtains as the sun shines through that window right until quite late in the evening at this time of year. Did you fit them yourself?