Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 20 Oct 20, 10:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
As this has turned into a Barry thread - have you been to Hang Fire? Hoping to go before the lockdown!
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 20, 12:03 PM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Originally Posted by scooby99 View Post
Surprised if people are or continue going to the likes of Costa, Starbucks & Caffè Nero in the larger towns & cities.

Pret now seems to be the coffee shop of choice since their Barista subscription launched.

Everyone in the queue has their phone out to scan their Pret code; a barista told us the other day that hardly anyone ‘pays’ for their drinks in Pret now.

Up to 5 coffees of any type, teas, iced drinks or frappes a day (30 minutes between each drink) every day for £20 per month with the first month free; I imagine many now walk past Costa or Starbucks to visit Pret instead; we do!

I do realise that living in London, we are spoiled with the number of Prets (& others).
We have one Pret but it's in the town centre and not convenient to pop in unless you're shopping in town anyway. Most Costas are in retail parks.
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 20, 12:13 PM  
Link to this Post
disney_l81
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Gill H View Post
As this has turned into a Barry thread - have you been to Hang Fire? Hoping to go before the lockdown!
Oh definitely- it's one of our faves. They are going to doing take away soon too-cannot wait
disney_l81 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 20, 03:01 PM  
Link to this Post
ely3857
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by ERICSMUM View Post
We have one Pret but it's in the town centre and not convenient to pop in unless you're shopping in town anyway. Most Costas are in retail parks.
You can’t swing a cat in Leeds without hitting a Costa or Starbucks but Pret are few and far between. I know of two in the city centre but that’s it.

I have a fondness for Pret though as I got a takeaway drink about 18m ago and they gave my kids their hot chocolates for free which was very very kind.
Old 20 Oct 20, 10:47 PM  
Link to this Post
scooby99
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ely3857 View Post
You can’t swing a cat in Leeds without hitting a Costa or Starbucks but Pret are few and far between. I know of two in the city centre but that’s it.

I have a fondness for Pret though as I got a takeaway drink about 18m ago and they gave my kids their hot chocolates for free which was very very kind.
I know we’re lucky in London to have so many Prets & Costas & Starbucks & Caffè Nero’s & Gails & Ole and Steen & Joe and the Juice & indies... you get the picture 😃

Pret are known for freebies; I understand that each branch is given a “random acts of kindness” budget.
Staff can give free drinks or food to any customer for any reason; to cheer a sad looking customer up, because the customer was nice & friendly, because the customer is a regular; there aren’t any rules; their staff can make the decision for any reason.
I’ve had free hot drinks, pastries & sandwiches during my long standing patronage of Pret; my husband too & have also seen it with other customers at the till.

Edited at 10:48 PM.
scooby99 is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 20, 11:25 PM  
Link to this Post
TheHughesCrew
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ERICSMUM View Post
Chelmer retail park, but 11.30 ish. I've given up on the one near Dunelm after the "manageress" was rude to me a few weeks ago ! I'll have to work my way through the rest now and then go on to Starbucks !
Is the coffee shop in Dunelm still open? That used to be nice.

Any time you're over Beaulieu way, Coffee Squared is a fabulous independent 👍🏻

Hope you get a good response from Head Office...
TheHughesCrew is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 20, 08:36 AM  
Link to this Post
JAF
Imagineer

I know we’re lucky in London to have so many Prets & Costas & Starbucks & Caffè Nero’s & Gails & Ole and Steen & Joe and the Juice & indies... you get the picture 😃

Pret are known for freebies; I understand that each branch is given a “random acts of kindness” budget.
Staff can give free drinks or food to any customer for any reason; to cheer a sad looking customer up, because the customer was nice & friendly, because the customer is a regular; there aren’t any rules; their staff can make the decision for any reason.
I’ve had free hot drinks, pastries & sandwiches during my long standing patronage of Pret; my husband too & have also seen it with other customers at the till.
I was fortunate enough when up in London to be given a free coffee at one of Pret’s branches somewhere round the back of Regent Street. It was lateish in the day and I was tired but still smiled and was polite and friendly to the server so guess he just took pity on me. It certainly cheered me up.
JAF is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 20, 06:16 PM  
Link to this Post
ely3857
Imagineer

Aww that’s great. It was Feb half term and very cold so their red cheeks and woolly hats probably convinced the staff!

Edited at 06:19 PM.
ely3857 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 20, 06:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Mobile

Originally Posted by disney_l81 View Post
Oh definitely- it's one of our faves. They are going to doing take away soon too-cannot wait
Just been to Tokyo Nights. Some of the best gyoza I have ever eaten and gorgeous katsu curry. Worth trudging through the rain for.
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List