Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 21 Oct 20, 09:48 AM  
Link to this Post
MillieMoo23
Getting Excited

Boarding a loft

We moved into a new build property last year and we would like to board our loft and do it ourselves. Is this an easy job and what would you recommend?
Thank you
MillieMoo23 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 20, 10:13 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Its quite easy , my dh did it .
He bought the boards from b&q for a reasonable price .
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 20, 10:23 AM  
Link to this Post
caj
VIP Dibber

caj's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

I've done it, although depends on your insulation levels. With current standards I think it would be harder.
caj is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 20, 10:24 AM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

Just be careful when screwing boards onto joists... mark on boards where electrical cables are located underneath. It is fairly straightforward.
SussexFamily is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 20, 10:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
An easy job to do and always better to do in the Autumn or Winter when the roof isn't red hot from the sun!

The issue is the quality of the boards. Some are best described as garbage sadly so price isn't always the key
For example a pack of 3 in B & Q is £8.75 but the same ones in Wickes is £8

However Trade ones will be better quality and more like £12+

Some tips.

Never nail them down as the banging can crack the plaster on the ceilings. Screw them down.

The longer they are the better. 1.2m is the standard length but you can end up losing quite a lot of that cutting them to ensure the ends are resting on the ceiling joists.

Never rely on the tongue and groove to support them and let them 'fly' over the joists - if you do one day you will step on that weak end and your foot will end up in a bedroom!

Personally I prefer floorboards as they are better quality and much longer in length.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 20, 10:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

I’ve done our sons I used loft legs and trade boards as it’s a new build so insulation is thick
Wicks have a good video tutorial
Only reason I did it was our loft had so much of their junk in it
Did take me a few days but that’s because I was only doing it a couple of hour stints at a time
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 20, 10:39 AM  
Link to this Post
MillieMoo23
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Never rely on the tongue and groove to support them and let them 'fly' over the joists - if you do one day you will step on that weak end and your foot will end up in a bedroom!

Personally I prefer floorboards as they are better quality and much longer in length.
Thanks Mr Tom. In my naivety, what do you mean about not letting them 'fly', over the joists? What floorboards would you recommend?

Also, our insulation currently sits higher than the current joists. I realise we need to raise this, would you suggest using proper loft legs or would 2x4's suffice?

We're hoping to do it over Christmas as the loft will be a lot more empty than it currently is.
MillieMoo23 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 20, 10:45 AM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Also be very careful, some joists in new builds are simply designed to hold loft storage. Get advice before you damage your ceilings and the integrity of your build.

I am sure Mr T knows more about this than I do
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 20, 10:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by MillieMoo23 View Post
Thanks Mr Tom. In my naivety, what do you mean about not letting them 'fly', over the joists? What floorboards would you recommend?

Also, our insulation currently sits higher than the current joists. I realise we need to raise this, would you suggest using proper loft legs or would 2x4's suffice?

We're hoping to do it over Christmas as the loft will be a lot more empty than it currently is.
Ok. I have seen where people put the one end nicely on the joist invariably by the loft hatch.
Then they don't cut the board and just let it go over say 2 joists and end up basically in space maybe 300mm past a joist
What they then do is stagger the next one and get the tongue and groove sides to support that floating bit of the first one. Then they lay the 3rd board as per the first one
Saves money as no waste. But not safe.

I would use Screwfix or similar Loft Storage Stilts as that raises the boards above the insulation and more importantly allows air flow which is always good.

You could screw 50mm sq timber on top of the rafters but legs are a darn sight cheaper than timber.

I have 12ft long floorboards 4" wide making a 12ft x 3ft boarded area which suited us at the time. Now it's not even used as we emptied the roof so it's just a walkway to where the tanks once were albeit now gone

But we have a big landing and a non trussed roof so loads of room to pull up long lengths which modern houses wont have especially as most have trusses which have multiple angled timber pieces creating the roof strength but are a darn nuisance to work with.

Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 20, 10:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by munmun View Post
Also be very careful, some joists in new builds are simply designed to hold loft storage. Get advice before you damage your ceilings and the integrity of your build.

I am sure Mr T knows more about this than I do
You are right about load bearing

Trusses have to pass TRADA (Timber research and development association) spec and standards but they are created to support the ceiling and allow walking on for the Trades who work in the roof void.

It will be fine to board but never over load a roof space.