Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 14 Jun 19, 08:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Leanne1977
Imagineer

Leanne1977's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Originally Posted by WhereIBelong View Post
Last years pure maths paper (Paper 2 June/18) had a question on sequences with sigma notation in,

so if they did past papers for practise they should have come across it.

Sequences and series are a part of the curriculum, sigma notation is a part of that topic - not a huge part as it is a simple notation - so if they have not seen it at all I would be very worried where their teachers had been pointing them for revision help.
The symbol my son showed me doesn’t look like this. I can’t really explain it but he had never see it before, only his friend doing further maths knew what it was! I know nothing about Maths and scraped a C back in the day so it’s all foreign to me. 😮

Edited at 09:24 PM.
Leanne1977 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 19, 08:34 PM  
Link to this Post
JAMM
Proud to wear my Ears

Originally Posted by Bella Girl View Post
DD sat these papers and has found them very difficult as did all her friends. She was unable to finish the 1st 2 papers but thought today’s paper was better.

She needs an A in Maths for her University choice so it is a concern. If most students found it difficult then as has been mentioned already, hopefully the grade boundaries will be adjusted accordingly.

On the plus side, she only has 2 more exams next week then it is all over. I will be able to reclaim my dining room table which is currently covered in books and won’t have to be quiet any more as apparently I’m too noisy!
Yes my ds thought it was a better paper today so fingers crossed for everyone and the grade boundaries will reflect what a hard year it has been. I know in theory all schools and students should follow the same curriculum and have good teachers to teach the subject but in reality I have not found this to be the case.
Just one more left on Wednesday, chemistry for us and then happy days... and then he might let me in his bedroom to scrub it clean as I’ve not been allowed in for a good while... didn’t want me moving any of his papers etc 😁
JAMM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 19, 08:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Leanne1977
Imagineer

Leanne1977's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Mobile

Originally Posted by JAMM View Post
Yes my ds thought it was a better paper today so fingers crossed for everyone and the grade boundaries will reflect what a hard year it has been. I know in theory all schools and students should follow the same curriculum and have good teachers to teach the subject but in reality I have not found this to be the case.
Just one more left on Wednesday, chemistry for us and then happy days... and then he might let me in his bedroom to scrub it clean as I’ve not been allowed in for a good while... didn’t want me moving any of his papers etc 😁
My son also thought today’s paper went ok. He has his last Biology paper on Monday and that’s it!

WDW Villa Jul/Aug 2005
DLP SL Jan/Feb 2006, DCR Feb 2007, Cheyenne Feb 2008, NB Nov 2009, Ibis July 2010
WDW Pop Sept 2006
WDW ASM/HRH/POP Sept 2007 free DDP
WDW Regal Sun/SSR/CIAS May 2008
WDW CIAS/RPR/Cypress Pointe GV Aug 2008
WDW Highgate Park/AKV/BCV Dec 2008
WDW SSR/Pop May 2009
WDW RPR/BCV/BWV/VB/VWL/OKW/Kidani/DCL Jul/Aug 2009
WDW Dibb Villa/Regal Sun May 2010
WDW BCV/VB/DCL Oct/Nov 2010 Wedding trip!
WDW SSR/Dibb Villa/VB Oct 2011 1st wedding anniversary trip!
WDW OKW/VB/Peabody Aug 2013
Leanne1977 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 19, 08:50 PM  
Link to this Post
bluedave
Imagineer

There an online petition on student room complaining about the unfairness of this exam - it’s so awful when exam boards don’t ask fair questions. I know that they disregard questions if they’re proven to be unfair so hoping you’re ur son still gets a decent grade.
bluedave is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 19, 09:37 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyWannabe
Imagineer

My DD has come home really upset today as the Edexcel paper had been leaked. She said she had seen some of the papers on twitter (selling for £70) and had disregarded it as a fake, only to get in the exam and see the question. It completely threw her. She is hoping the question/paper will be adjusted to account for the breach.
Old 14 Jun 19, 11:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Hooray4Disney
Imagineer

Hooray4Disney's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
My youngest DS has also done his A Level Maths this year and found it really difficult. He said the two pure Maths papers were hard. One of his friends who is predicted an A* said he will be lucky if he gets a B.

This is also really bad news - not impressed with the paper questions being leaked as well ... most of his friends are feeling pretty deflated today.

tes/news/edexcel-inv...aths-exam-leak
2002 - Hampton Lakes, WDW. 2003 - Westridge Villas, WDW. 2005, 2008, 2011 Formosa Blvd, WDW. 2010, 2013 Hotel Cheyenne, DLP. 2014 OKW/Westridge, WDW. 2015 - NYC, DCA & Rotonda West. 2016 - Hotel Kyriad, DLP. 2016 - Toronto 2017 - OKW, Bahama Bay & The Keys 2018 - Vegas, Yellowstone, San Francisco, L.A. 2018 DLP - Hotel B&B 2019 - Lake Berkeley, WDW. 2022 - Seattle/Hawaii
Hooray4Disney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 19, 11:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Cricket19
Getting Excited

Edexcel have issued the following statement on their website: We have taken action to identify the source. Having visited a small group of centres within scope of the investigation, we have identified one centre in serious breach of correct practice. We are determined to identify the individual involved, and hold them to account.
Cricket19 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 19, 12:21 PM  
Link to this Post
nasty
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Hooray4Disney View Post
My youngest DS has also done his A Level Maths this year and found it really difficult. He said the two pure Maths papers were hard. One of his friends who is predicted an A* said he will be lucky if he gets a B.

This is also really bad news - not impressed with the paper questions being leaked as well ... most of his friends are feeling pretty deflated today.

tes/news/edexcel-inv...aths-exam-leak
My son took his last A level maths paper yesterday (OCR). He came out, got in my car and promptly burst into tears! 🙁 not something I want to see my 18 year old son do. He said it was so difficult. He’s also predicted an A* and said he’ll be lucky to scrape a B when he thinks about the questions he could answer. It’s not for want of studying as he’s not had a life for the last two years, just constant revision.
Just trying to pick up the pieces and motivate him for his last two Chemistry and Biology next week!
nasty is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 19, 03:09 PM  
Link to this Post
JAMM
Proud to wear my Ears

Originally Posted by nasty View Post
My son took his last A level maths paper yesterday (OCR). He came out, got in my car and promptly burst into tears! 🙁 not something I want to see my 18 year old son do. He said it was so difficult. He’s also predicted an A* and said he’ll be lucky to scrape a B when he thinks about the questions he could answer. It’s not for want of studying as he’s not had a life for the last two years, just constant revision.
Just trying to pick up the pieces and motivate him for his last two Chemistry and Biology next week!
Oh I feel for you, it’s just heartbreaking as this is my son... the effort, the hours he has put in, he feels have just been thrown back in his face! It’s so hard as a parent to see them like this. My ds is taking chemistry as well and trying to get his head back into gear and concentrate on Chemistry has been really hard today. Math just seems to have been one huge cock up this year and would love to know what the exam board are going to do now. My ds is really worried he might have to take all the exams again. Everything goes through their minds. I’ve had to explain I’ve never heard of that scenario happening before which hopefully has got that out of his head... crazy!
JAMM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 19, 10:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Cricket19
Getting Excited

Edexcel have released another statement.

qualifications.pearson/e...019&pageTypes=
Cricket19 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List