Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 24 Jul 19, 06:40 PM  
Link to this Post
soooexcited!
Imagineer

soooexcited!'s Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Another neighbour fence issue

I know in the scheme of things it's really not that huge but hang on in there. A few years back half the fence to one neighbour came down in a gale. We opted to replace the 8 panels with close boards concrete posts and gravel boards and split the cost. There's another approx 8 old panels mostly held up but with well established trees and bushes both sides. The newer neighbour knocked a couple of weeks ago and said next week they are removing all the trees and bushes their side. It's a real shame because the trees are beautiful and offer both of us privacy. I'm sure the fence will come down when they remove the trees. It's their garden and obviously I don't have a say in what they do on their own property. I've just been asked if they can come and remove ivy my side. Also they've now realised the fence is likely to fall when the trees go. So can we come to an arrangement on splitting the cost. It's not something I have budgeted for or can afford at the moment. I'm having a new shower room done and all funds are being saved for that. I feel a bit like I'm being expected to pay for something I hadn't planned on doing at the moment. Do I just borrow the money and get it done or hold what I've said very politely it's not something I can do right now?

Edited at 07:06 PM.
soooexcited! is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 19, 06:45 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

We had similar - someone getting rid of a tree and shed that were holding up the shared fence.

"Sorry, your timescale does not fit my current budget. If you can wait, I can come to some arrangement, if you cannot, then you will need to shoulder the full cost yourself".

They waited a year, we split the cost, the fence is lovely.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 19, 06:46 PM  
Link to this Post
soooexcited!
Imagineer

soooexcited!'s Reviews
Mobile

I was very polite I just said I'm sorry but it's not something I've budgeted for and the shower has to take priority.
Old 24 Jul 19, 06:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

As above I’d say
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 19, 06:49 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Originally Posted by soooexcited! View Post
I was very polite I just said I'm sorry but it's not something I've budgeted for and the shower has to take priority.
That sounds fine - they cannot lump an out of the blue expense on you, these things need planning for. Their timescale...they pay...
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 19, 06:49 PM  
Link to this Post
princessgem
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Is it a shared fence?

2015: Art of Animation + Hard Rock
princessgem is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 19, 07:05 PM  
Link to this Post
soooexcited!
Imagineer

soooexcited!'s Reviews
Mobile

The deeds say share the cost with bordering neighbour. That's what we've done with the other 3 sides we've done over the years.
Old 24 Jul 19, 07:26 PM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

Mobile

I would also be wary of new neighbours and the sudden half and half cost thing. My colleague did it spent £600 they could ill afford and his neighbour has never ‘been able to afford to pay him ‘and they have never spoken since .fence issues are a nightmare , we own both of ours put up within our boundaries due to previous issues with neighbours.
Both sides have a weird interest in finding a way to try and look into our garden .. probably because they are all competitive Gardners and mowers 😀
We waited until they went on holiday and put them up early in the morning!
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 19, 08:04 PM  
Link to this Post
soooexcited!
Imagineer

soooexcited!'s Reviews
Mobile

I've been here since 2005 so far the half and half or as in one side split 3 ways has worked well. I'm under no illusion the last bit of old fence would need doing at some point. Just hadn't planned on doing it now when I have a big shower room refurb on the cards. The last thing I want to have a disagreement with a neighbour but I won't be backed into paying for something I currently can't afford.
Old 24 Jul 19, 08:52 PM  
Link to this Post
minnie29
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

We had something similar a while back but over a wall. We politely declined and said we couldn’t afford it at the moment (my dad had looked and said there was nothing wrong with it). They came back and said they’d loan us the money to share the cost!.. I explained that we thought there was nothing wrong with the wall and we had other priorities. They constantly get overpriced, dodgy work done on their house. It’s really akward but if they are disturbing it then let them pay, or they wait until you both want to replace it
I-Drive July 2004. I-Drive Oct/Nov 2006. Southern Dunes May 2010 (married in Florida!). Town Centre June 2011. Southern Dunes August 2012. Hampton Lakes and Carnival Cruise August 2013. Regal Palms 2014. Southern Dunes 2017. Southern Dunes and Hard Rock Hotel May 2018. AKL, POFQ, Wilderness Lodge and Disney Dream2019.
Dopey challenge - All Stars stay January 2020. Cabana Bay Sept 2022
minnie29 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List