Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Old 6 Jun 19, 10:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Maggiemae
Apprentice Imagineer

Maggiemae's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I'm allergic to mosquito bites (react with large blisters &#128546. But weirdly only ever had that reaction on Disney property at old key west and disney springs.Got bitten in my sleep at OKW one year!

I've found Picaradin spray to be most effective (and it smells way better than Deet).

Funnily enough have never been bitten when visiting/hiking in any of the national parks.
Maggiemae is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 19, 09:26 AM  
Link to this Post
OLS
Imagineer

it absolutely stinks (maybe why they stay away) but the best I found is the Wilko own brand mozzy spray, it's really high deet content though but only something like £1 for a small tin (I spray it outside it's that strong!) and I combine with the mozzy bands from amazon

I get bitten to death, always have but last year after using this (on an evening only) I only ended up with about 10 bites all holiday, DH usually doesn't get bitten and at one point we counted nearly 60 on him (he wasn't spraying with anything! )
OLS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 19, 02:47 PM  
Link to this Post
DebsMK
Very Serious Dibber

We always buy Deep Woods 'Off!' from Walmart or a drugstore when we get there, it's brilliant stuff. You can get an oily type spray, a powder type spray, wipes and a fan thing that you can wear to get rid of mozzies and no-see-ums.

Back soon!
DebsMK is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 19, 03:27 PM  
Link to this Post
scottishnellie
VIP Dibber

scottishnellie's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
I always got eaten alive until I developed a whole regime! If I miss a bit I still get bitten

I take daily antihistamines for the 4 weeks before we go, then continue them while away.

Every evening after my shower before dressing I cover my whole body in Avon skin so soft oil.

Then I dress and do a spray of Jungle formula on the skin exposed bits.

If I am in a park all day to evening I go into the loos at teatime, down to my undies and cover with skin so soft then clothes back on and do Jungle formula on the exposed bits. Any nights I’ve not done this I’ve been bitten.

I’m the same anywhere. Turkey, Spain, USA...

Nightmare!

Helen xx

Here's a link to all my previous trip reports since 2015
trip report list by year
scottishnellie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 19, 06:23 AM  
Link to this Post
WelshSara
Helping Mickey

Thanks everyone - that's really useful advice. ChrisS I had no idea re the antibac handgel tip too - fantastic!
WelshSara is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 19, 06:44 AM  
Link to this Post
ClaireVC
Excited about Disney

Mobile

I get eaten alive in Florida but since I’ve been applying jungle spray daily it has stopped. You have to hold your nose though when you apply, it is so strong and overpowering.
Old 8 Jun 19, 11:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Lisbon
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
It's strange, sometimes I get bit a lot ( and I react badly - if on my hands I cant make a fist because of the swelling ) other times never get bitten
Rob
Lisbon is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 19, 12:28 PM  
Link to this Post
bernard301
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

+1 for the once a day antihistamines, rather than prevent the mossies biting it stops you reacting to the bite. If you have concerns re zika or other mossie-bourne virus then there are other precautions like deet based repellants you should take
bernard301 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 19, 12:35 PM  
Link to this Post
OB1LukeLucas
VIP Dibber

On our first trip to Florida with Thomas Cook they gave us some mosquito bands when we got off the plane. They were great as we never got bitten. I’ve since bought them from Amazon-they look like a coil of colour wire a bit like the hair bobbles you can get now. I’m pleased I saw this thread as it has reminded me to order some!
We also use Skin So Soft spray and I like using lavender & tree tea original source shower gel as apparently they don’t like the smell!
I’ve never done it but eating a tea spoon of marmite is supposed to keep them away...
OB1LukeLucas is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jun 19, 03:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Nomy
Apprentice Imagineer

Nomy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
As others have said... Avon Skin So Soft! We live in Scotland and get those pesky midges at times. If I forget to use Avon, I get bit and react badly, but if I use it, it takes a particularly desperate midge to have a go.

I must also say that although I've had a few bites when forgetting the ASSS, last year in the mountains around Malaga both my wife and I were bitten to heck. All the spots came up in HUGE blisters that also left scars and took weeks to go. And yep, you guessed it, we forgot to pack the ASSS
Sept 2010 - Chatham Park DIBB Villa
Oct 2016 - Sunset View, High Grove Dibb Villa
Nomy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List