Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 22 Jan 21, 10:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandraoh40
VIP Dibber

We usually do a BA fly drive or have used reward flights and Avis cars via BA. But the discount Florida car hire over in the Florida part of the site also do other parts of the US and we were going to use them for September coming if we went.
We did have an Airbnb booked as well in La Quinta, didn’t realise it was illegal.

As for hotels, I tend to use booking.com or have a trawl through tripadvisor to see where I like the look of. I also got loads of ideas reading trip reports and I even go as far as scrolling in on my maps on my iPad to see what I can find.
Sandraoh40 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 21, 11:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Jedi
Earning My Ears

I didn't think airbnb was illegal any more in most parts of California. When I was planning last year (for this year, though now postponed) I didn't come across anything saying it wasn't legal now.
I know there were certain permits required before and that short term rentals are now stopped because of covid, but otherwise I was under the impression they are legal.
Jedi is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 21, 11:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

The only RV in game we’ve+done was with a friends air stream from Florida to Tennessee and back loved it
Tennessee the Smokies and Virginia are amazing as are Savannah and Tybee Island the outer banks ect oh and I hate the beach type lets sit and burn to a crisp type holiday but love the time we’ve spent on the outer banks and Tybee the sea food restaurants are amazing and I’m real real fussy about allfish and sea food family still have fishing boats and bespoke smoke houses
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 21, 12:20 AM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

I’ve never fancied an RV for a road trip as I’ve always understood the appeal of travelling between places but haven’t liked the idea of overnight ‘parking’ costs and it being a potential pain for short stays and local driving. Particularly around places like San Francisco or Yosemite :O

For hotels I have always used price comparison websites to get the best deal and I usually prioritise location over hotel facilities. I would want to wait out the next xxx months before booking anything or committing to a booking strategy due to potential changes with Covid to the best way to do this.

Car hire I’ve always gone for the cheapest and always avoid one way fees if travelling within California / and / or Nevada.
Old 23 Jan 21, 10:39 AM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
I think one thing to remember is sometimes the cheapest hire cars are black or darl colours. If you plan to driver over the desert, even in September, you really nee a white car else it will overheat. Insist upon that as some companies try and foster off black or red cars on unsuspecting. Even driving up to the Ariel tramway stop a car (engine) can overheat and you are advised to switch off your ac in a white car.
That is such a good tip!

One year we went through Death Valley in August and I hadn’t even considered that but we were lucky as our car was a light gold Metallic colour. We did all the things you are supposed to do though, like constantly watching the engine temp, lots of water onboard, air con off occasionally etc.
Old 23 Jan 21, 10:57 AM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

We aren't in the 1970's 🤣, the colour of your car will make zero difference to the car overheating. Cars are far more reliable these days. Those warnings are legacy / aimed at older vehicles. Certainly no need to be turning the Aircon off in a modern vehicle.

We went through death valley on the hottest day they had in decades (well into the 50 degrees) and then up over the mountains in a black Ford Explorer.

Came across several cars doing their hot weather testing all camouflaged up whilst there.

Making sure you have plenty of water with you if doing those trips would be the advice, not what colour is the car.

Edited at 11:00 AM.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 21, 11:04 AM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

Originally Posted by 400ixl View Post
We aren't in the 1970's 🤣, the colour of your car will make zero difference to the car overheating. Cars are far more reliable these days. Those warnings are legacy / aimed at older vehicles. Certainly no need to be turning the Aircon off in a modern vehicle.

We went through death valley on the hottest day they had in decades (well into the 50 degrees) and then up over the mountains in a black Ford Explorer.

Came across several cars doing their hot weather testing all camouflaged up whilst there.

Making sure you have plenty of water with you if doing those trips would be the advice, not what colour is the car.
Agreed, I’ve driven in the Arizona desert in a black vehicle too - with no adverse effects.
SussexFamily is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 21, 11:07 AM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

RV wise, you need to calculate the full price, base Costa look appealing, but when you add on the mileage costs and the the fact the charge for bedding, cutlery etc all as add-ons it can get expensive. Other thing to look at is whether there is an RV park near where you want to stop, they can be in some less convenient places in the cities, but great locations out in the national parks etc.

Car hire wise, firstly look at fly drives as they can work out cheapest. Other than that shop around. Typically I have found going direct is cheaper than agents, although last time Andy was the cheapest.quite often it is the deals from joining their clubs that can make the difference.

For the Airbnb type places it is a bit of a mess and risk as different counties have different rules and they can change between booking and renting. The county that stopped their process of making them illegal was in San Diego if I remember correctly.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 21, 11:09 AM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by 400ixl View Post

I was born in the 70s so it sounded plausible to me but I know nothing about cars!

We did see a few newish looking cars broken down while we drove through so it must happen sometimes...? Albeit they could have been broken down for other reasons of course
Old 23 Jan 21, 11:11 AM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
Yeah it huge - my ex runs the corvette dealerships in CA and is well versed on what runs well and doesnt he he only drives his white one in the summer. Seen too many cars overheated in Joshua Tree park myself to take the risk
It really isn't the case for cars built in the last 20 years. That is just causing a concern that doesn't exist.

White is popular because it was a paint colour least affected by the sun and held its colour well. It also doesn't get so hot to touch.

Get the car rental that most suits your needs, not based on the colour.