Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 23 Jan 21, 11:13 AM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
I was born in the 70s so it sounded plausible to me but I know nothing about cars!

We did see a few newish looking cars broken down while we drove through so it must happen sometimes...? Albeit they could have been broken down for other reasons of course
Breakdowns do happen for many reasons. The colour of the car on a modern rental is not one of them.

You should absolutely keep an eye on the temperature gauge and react accordingly, but that's not due to the colour.

Edited at 11:14 AM.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 21, 11:25 AM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

You are correct. Colour of car will affect cabin temperature, to a degree ( no pun intended, but personally I wouldn’t use car colour as a major factor in choosing a hire vehicle. ... that’s my opinion ... and I respect yours too.

We won’t always agree In life ... that’s what makes us human.

Life’s too short to let different opinions matter so much. I’d genuinely ask you to Please reconsider your decision.

Edited at 12:55 PM.
SussexFamily is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 21, 11:35 AM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

Agree Sussex Family

So moving the conversation on, what TYPE of car does everyone prefer for road trips around California and the area? We have always gone for SUVs because ... kids but they are grown up now and not usually on holiday with us. Plus I like the room and high up visibility.

I love the idea of a convertible (not in summer) but how do they fare for long trips? We’ve hired one a few times in Florida but only for short rentals (2/3 days) and usually in Jan / Feb when the weather is mild.

I like the idea for a California road trip... but what’s the reality?
Old 23 Jan 21, 11:41 AM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

We always get an SUV. It's good to have the ground clearance if you decide to go out into the national parks. Size and visibility for long distance driving is also good.

Convertibles on the coast are nice, but it can get too hot to drive with the roof down. There is also a lack of luggage space. Worth considering if there are only two of you but any more I wouldn't. Coming from someone who owns a 4 seater convertible.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 21, 11:47 AM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by 400ixl View Post
We always get an SUV. It's good to have the ground clearance if you decide to go out into the national parks. Size and visibility for long distance driving is also good.

Convertibles on the coast are nice, but it can get too hot to drive with the roof down. There is also a lack of luggage space. Worth considering if there are only two of you but any more I wouldn't. Coming from someone who owns a 4 seater convertible.
I thought the convertible would be really nice down the PCH I must admit!
Old 23 Jan 21, 11:53 AM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

Agree, would be spectacular.
Old 23 Jan 21, 01:26 PM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

Originally Posted by SussexFamily View Post
You are correct. Colour of car will affect cabin temperature, to a degree ( no pun intended, but personally I wouldn’t use car colour as a major factor in choosing a hire vehicle. ... that’s my opinion ... and I respect yours too.

We won’t always agree In life ... that’s what makes us human.

Life’s too short to let different opinions matter so much. I’d genuinely ask you to Please reconsider your decision.
Goodness me- who edited my post? 🕊? It wasn’t me?

Mysterious forces at play?

Doesn’t make sense now?

Edited at 01:38 PM.
SussexFamily is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 21, 02:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
When we last stayed in LA we borrowed cousins convertible... Drove down to San Diego. Was fun.
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 21, 05:07 PM  
Link to this Post
enjibenji
Imagineer

enjibenji's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We hired a mustang convertible for our road trip in 2017. Loved it but by mid day roof was up and air con on, too hot for us but it was lovely having the wind in your hair. It was just the 2 of us and had to have bags on back seat. When we went for Christmas 2019 we had a 7 seater caravan for 4 of us, it was comfortable and plenty of room. We have booked again for this year flying out the 1st of october 🙏 as we found this time of year is perfect for weather. We have booked a Ford edge. I'm getting excited now talking about it, it is nice to plan things again with all this doom and gloom. I have booked nearly all of our accommodation and 1 tip for you would be if staying in any National parks book asap as they get booked up very quick. Have a lovely time and remember the planning is half of the fun. 😊
enjibenji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 21, 05:27 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

Good tip, in a normal time Yosemite and Grand Canyon South Rim can book out a year in advance for the most popular places to stay.