Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 28 Dec 20, 12:48 AM  
Link to this Post
matgunners1982
New Poster (3)

Flying into New Orleans

Hi All

Thinking about our next trip and exploring around New Orleans, I'm thinking places around Louisana, Georgia, Panhandle, Alabama maybe Mississippi.

Has anyone done this and if so where would you recommend?

Cheers 🍻
matgunners1982 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Dec 20, 01:32 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by matgunners1982 View Post
Hi All

Thinking about our next trip and exploring around New Orleans, I'm thinking places around Louisana, Georgia, Panhandle, Alabama maybe Mississippi.

Has anyone done this and if so where would you recommend?

Cheers 🍻
I have been to New Orleans many years ago. Whilst the French Quarter and in particular, Bourbon Street were really interesting, we were warned that other areas were not so ‘welcoming’ to strangers. The Natchez paddle steamer is also a ‘must do’.

I was in Mobile Alabama a few years ago to see the Alabama Memorial park. If you have children, they may well enjoy it.. tanks, aircraft and a Battleship 4 x the size of HMS Belfast, Awesome!

Pensacola beach, an hour further along into Florida is also awesomely nice with Margaritaville Hotel and some good restaurants. The Naval Aviation museum is World Class.

Destin, 60 miles further along the picturesque sand bar is also good with the lovely Henderson State Park and also Boat Hire at Crab Island.

Hope it helps!

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Dec 20, 07:54 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

I’ve previously visited all the Southern States. My daughter hasn’t been to New Orleans and wants to go (she has, but was in mum’s tummy so doesn’t recall much lol) so we are going in Summer after last summer’s abandoned trip.
I once did a good trip- flew to Houston, then went to San Antonio, then drove to Baton Rouge, Lafayette and New Orleans. Most of that trip we made up as we went along, booking hotels as we went along.

You could if flying to New Orleans either head toward Texas, or go through Alabama and go to Florida panhandle which is really nice, particularly around the Fort Walton area.
Old 28 Dec 20, 03:54 PM  
Link to this Post
matgunners1982
New Poster (3)

Thanks both, there's some decent premium economy flights to New Orleans in October/November so I'm going to go for it, fly in, 2 nights in the French quarter and then go rogue!
matgunners1982 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Dec 20, 04:59 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

You could spend a lot more time in NOLA than two nights and not run out of things to do. I definitely recommend not trying to hire a car until you leave the FQ though - parking very problematic (and expensive) and driving around the one way streets is challenging!

We loved seeing the many modes of transportation NOPD used to get around the FQ, rarely car! Segway, horses, one person truck things, motorbikes, cycles...
Old 28 Dec 20, 09:47 PM  
Link to this Post
carolynne67
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by matgunners1982 View Post
Thanks both, there's some decent premium economy flights to New Orleans in October/November so I'm going to go for it, fly in, 2 nights in the French quarter and then go rogue!
We’ve booked flights for October (3rd attempt to go), New Orleans for 4 nights, pick up a car, drive to Memphis, Nashville, Smokey Mountains, Chattanooga and then back to Nashville for flight home. Loads of research to still do but fingers crossed our trip goes ahead this time.
Old 28 Dec 20, 10:35 PM  
Link to this Post
matgunners1982
New Poster (3)

Originally Posted by carolynne67 View Post
We’ve booked flights for October (3rd attempt to go), New Orleans for 4 nights, pick up a car, drive to Memphis, Nashville, Smokey Mountains, Chattanooga and then back to Nashville for flight home. Loads of research to still do but fingers crossed our trip goes ahead this time.
This sounds amazing but honestly I just couldn't cope with those drives... I wouldn't want to drive more than 100 miles or so a leg.

Jealous though 😫
Old 31 Dec 20, 05:29 PM  
Link to this Post
tiggertastic
Imagineer

If you search new Orleans I've put loads of stuff to do in new Orleans on.

Been twice for a week and 10 days and still so much to see.
tiggertastic is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Feb 21, 08:14 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

We have flown into New Orleans from Nashville, Fort Lauderdale and Orlando (2017, 2018 and 2019 respectively). Southwest is our preferred airline for those internal flights. Love NOLA so much. We took in more of Louisiana and coastal Georgia on our 2019 trip. Happy planning. Sounds fabulous.
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List