Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Closed Thread

Old 3 May 16, 06:57 PM  
Link to this Post
SiandAm
Imagineer

I don't always tip in this country and if I do I don't go over the top. If we are a large party and they have been particularly attentive, for example a large family meal and then we will each chip in a couple of quid per family. Servers here receive a half decent minimum wage, the same as millions of other people who do an equally demanding job. I once worked in a day nursery, on a very low wage yet had charge of under 2's and all that their daily routine entails, often without any support from management. I didn't expect anything extra on top as I understood the terms of my contract and the wage I would receive, just the same as I would if I were to take a job as a waitress. I also object to how some of the larger chains here have adopted the circling their name with the word thanks and a little smiley face...that really gets up my nose as it appears that they expect to get a tip, and I am always tempted to write a 'you're welcome' reply back lol

PORS 1995 Grand Floridian 1997 CBR 1998 ASMovies2002/2004Cumbrian lakes 2005,6,8,10,11,12,13,14 & 15 NYC/disney '12 AKL 2007 OKW 2009 2012Ellie hunts tour CBR 19
cumbrian lakes2016,17,18,19,22 2019 ASMovies 2022
SiandAm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 May 16, 07:00 PM  
Link to this Post

JoJo88 - I tried to find some shots that show the 12.5%.

This establishment actually goes for 13%:

but here is one that was 12.5 but look at the bill total:

Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 May 16, 07:04 PM  
Link to this Post
JoJo88
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by geoffa View Post

Thanks Geoffa . I wasn't doubting you, I'd just never seen it before, not that I can recall anyway.

I wonder if they left the recommended tip
JoJo88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 May 16, 07:07 PM  
Link to this Post
TheDisneyCouple
Imagineer

Originally Posted by SiandAm View Post
I don't always tip in this country and if I do I don't go over the top. If we are a large party and they have been particularly attentive, for example a large family meal and then we will each chip in a couple of quid per family. Servers here receive a half decent minimum wage, the same as millions of other people who do an equally demanding job. I once worked in a day nursery, on a very low wage yet had charge of under 2's and all that their daily routine entails, often without any support from management. I didn't expect anything extra on top as I understood the terms of my contract and the wage I would receive, just the same as I would if I were to take a job as a waitress. I also object to how some of the larger chains here have adopted the circling their name with the word thanks and a little smiley face...that really gets up my nose as it appears that they expect to get a tip, and I am always tempted to write a 'you're welcome' reply back lol
I did this in my first job but it wasn't a tip thing - we were asked to this by management. They referred to it as personalising the bill. It was supposed to be courteous.
TheDisneyCouple is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 May 16, 07:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Lell
Imagineer

Lell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I always thought it was the norm to tip in restaurants. I grew up with parents who tipped so did likewise. Any friends or colleagues I dine out with also tip without question. It was only reading posts on here over the years that I realised not everyone does the same. My son and daughter both work part time in a restaurant and it is the minority that don't tip although the amount does vary greatly.
DLP (Disney Explorers) Sep 2004, DLP (Sequoia Lodge) Sep 2007, Disney CSR/Universal RPR Oct 2010, Disney AKL Oct 2012, Doubletree by Hilton at Seaworld Oct 2014, West Coast Road Trip 2017, Florida Road Trip 2018, West Coast Road Trip 2019, East Coast/Canada Road trip 2022, National Parks Road Trip 2023
Lell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 May 16, 07:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Oliver123
Imagineer

Oliver123's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by geoffa View Post

So how was your meal for that much
Old 3 May 16, 08:07 PM  
Link to this Post
LadyDebs86
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by SiandAm View Post
Well yes, you take the pay and the terms that come with working in a nursery like you do with a waiting on job, however the difference is when you take on a waiting job you do so knowing that the 'terms' involve tips. So it's a bit of an erroneous comparison

Funnily enough I also had a summer job as a nursery assistant, that was the second hardest job I've ever had
LadyDebs86 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 May 16, 08:09 PM  
Link to this Post
LadyDebs86
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Lell View Post
I always thought it was the norm to tip in restaurants. I grew up with parents who tipped so did likewise. Any friends or colleagues I dine out with also tip without question. It was only reading posts on here over the years that I realised not everyone does the same. My son and daughter both work part time in a restaurant and it is the minority that don't tip although the amount does vary greatly.
Same, I don't really know anyone who doesn't tip for good service. I'm genuinely surprised at how many people on here say they don't
LadyDebs86 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 May 16, 08:29 PM  
Link to this Post

Up until a month ago when she turned 18 my DD was earning £3.30 an hour as a trainee hairdresser. So any tip was greatfully received.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 May 16, 08:38 PM  
Link to this Post
TheDisneyCouple
Imagineer

Originally Posted by LadyDebs86 View Post
Same, I don't really know anyone who doesn't tip for good service. I'm genuinely surprised at how many people on here say they don't
Ditto .
TheDisneyCouple is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread