Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Closed Thread

Old 17 Jul 16, 08:28 AM  
Link to this Post
KES
Imagineer

KES's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile Colouring/dyeing ginger hair

My daughter has the most beautiful long ginger hair but as with alot of ginger haired people she hates it and doesn't like being 'different'.

She'll be 15 in September and is absolutely desperate to dye it. I can't afford to be having it dyed at the hairdressers at £60 per month!

Has anyone tried dyeing ginger hair with a shop bought dye?

Should I be looking or considering anything special?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.
LBV Village Resort & Spa 1/09
LBV Village Resort & Spa 10/09
KES is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 16, 08:36 AM  
Link to this Post
bearandbuzz
Apprentice Imagineer

bearandbuzz's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
My hair has a mixture of ginger with shades of blonde and browns it. Like your daughter I have often wanted to dye it, but the dye just doesn't take to my hair - by this I mean that whenever I have tried home kits it just doesn't seem to change the colour.
The only success I've ever had was at a hairdresser when I had a mixture of low lights and highlights - I really liked the look of my hair but unfortunately I couldn't afford to keep up with the maintenance of it.
As I've grown older and the blonde / brown parts of my hair are gradually turning grey, it's actually having a good effect on my hair as I look like I've got the highlights back!

Our magic moment as Grand Marshall's in 2013
WL August 2014 The solo(ish) trip - August 2014
BC August 2016 If it ain't broke, don't fix it - August 2016
Villa 2018 - A change of scene - August 2018
bearandbuzz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 16, 08:45 AM  
Link to this Post
lmorgan
Excited about Disney

My DD has ginger hair and uses live colour permanent as she likes it a dark purple (think it's Mystic Violet).. She's has also used Castings which is a semi I think it was an Amber colour.

She found that she did still have regrowth with the semi as her hair seems to hold onto the colour better. I have to say that her hair condition seems better since using the live colour, even her hairdresser has commented on it.

I would say to do a strand test to check the colour as it will always be different to the examples shown, maybe use a semi first to make sure she happy with it.

Good luck
lmorgan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 16, 10:00 AM  
Link to this Post

Why don't you visit the hairdresser first to initially dye it and then just use home ones to do the root growth... I know lots of red heads that do this.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 16, 10:05 AM  
Link to this Post
Momofboys
Imagineer

Momofboys's Reviews
I've got red hair and never had much luck with dyes, did for a few years have highlights done by hairdresser , but got fed up of the upkeep, but they looked good.

My niece has ginger hair and last year had the bottom of hers dipped dyed in a purpleish colour, looked fab, but didn't last long at all, washed out within weeks not months.

I would try a hairdresser first, the joys of red hair, those who have it don't want it!
Old 17 Jul 16, 10:09 AM  
Link to this Post
lmorgan
Excited about Disney

Mobile

I suppose it depends on what colour she wants to go. If darker then it's not as much of an issue, lighter then I wouldn't try a full head at home.
lmorgan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 16, 10:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Michelle
VIP Dibber
- DIBB Advertiser -

Michelle's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 9
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 5
Guidebook Photos: 8
Both my DD's have red hair, they've been through the hate the colour stage. They've had their hair dark and light. They've bought shop bought dye and had no problems.
They are now both over hating the colour of their hair and are natural now.
Old 17 Jul 16, 05:00 PM  
Link to this Post
KES
Imagineer

KES's Reviews
Mobile

Thank you everyone for your help. DD has found some semi permanent blue dye and I've dyed about 4 inches from the bottom of her hair, which has turned out a bit green,but she likes it.
LBV Village Resort & Spa 1/09
LBV Village Resort & Spa 10/09
KES is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 16, 08:51 PM  
Link to this Post
lmorgan
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by KES View Post
Thank you everyone for your help. DD has found some semi permanent blue dye and I've dyed about 4 inches from the bottom of her hair, which has turned out a bit green,but she likes it.
It probably won't last long, but if you're only doing the bottom you could lighten it first, it will hold the colour better
Old 17 Jul 16, 10:43 PM  
Link to this Post
tiggertastic
Imagineer

My experience of dying my hair is far from successful.

Younger, I wanted to go brown but it would just not take, put black on - too dark and I look washed out.

I have had highlights and low lights, the brownish coppery lowlights always washout within a month (these are salon done permenant dye)

Most recently I have bleached the ends into an obre - beach works very well. I have then dyed the bleached bit purple with a wash out dye. Worked well but the wash out is now blue and doesnt seem to be going.

I hate dying my ginger hair! Would bleach the lot but cant be bothered with/afford keeping the roots under control
tiggertastic is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread