Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 19 Dec 16, 09:57 PM  
Link to this Post
MargaretMouse
VIP Dibber

Aunt Bessie for me, my spuds and my yorkshires. My gravy is with granules with added at least a quarter of a bottle of wine with a teaspoon of honey and a teaspoon of mustard.
Old 19 Dec 16, 10:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Taffy1959
VIP Dibber

Taffy1959's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We always have a turkey crown and a goose so I use the goose fat for the potatoes and parsnips which I par boil and then roast for about 40 mins.
For the gravy this year I'm making the Jamie Oliver recipe which I'll do on Friday morning and finish with the turkey juices on Christmas Day
Old 19 Dec 16, 11:21 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Toria_dee View Post
Roast potatoes are done Jamie Oliver style...

Par boil for 10-15 mins, empty into colander and place the pot on top to keep some steam in to dry them. Give them a good shake in the colander to rough them up.

Gravy I can't help with...I buy Schwartz gravy packets.

xx
Snap for the gravy and I add the juices from the meat. My spuds again the same but after roughing them up I sprinkle with M&S roast potato seasoning
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Dec 16, 11:23 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Yorkie Girl View Post
Gravy - I just use granules and add a bit of meat juice for flavour.
Like above I use gravy granules mixed with the juices from the turkey, with fat removed or I boil the giblets with some rosemary, carrot, onion and bay leaves, sieve it and then mix this with the granules. You can also add a drop of wine, white or red or sometimes port, depending on your taste.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Dec 16, 11:27 PM  
Link to this Post
keeley78
Imagineer

keeley78's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 18
Rooster potatoes for me, I parboil until softened, drain, back on heat to get rid of excess moisture for a few seconds then I sprinkle plain flour on them, or sometimes semolina which nigella uses, bash them about and then put them in red hot goose fat that's already been heating in the oven, it has a high smoking point so you can heat it for a while whilst boiling potatoes, cook for about 40 mins until golden and crispy
Gravy, although I have made my own in the past, is Swartz packet mix, the roast turkey one, I love it, It certainly doesn't taste like instant granule type stuff, and it's too easy, just add water to the mix in a pan and boil & simmer for about 5 mins

Rosen inn @ pointe May 2010, Rosen inn @ pointe & got married May 2011, Clarion inn LBV May 2012, Rosen international, RPR & Hilton Clearwater July/aug 2013
New York July 2016
Rosen @ pointe, Cabana Bay & All star sports Oct/ Nov 2018, New York July 2023

Edited at 11:29 PM.
keeley78 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Dec 16, 04:06 AM  
Link to this Post
PJB71
Imagineer

Mobile

I won't be cooking Christmas dinner as where in sunny 🇺🇸 But for my roast potatoes part boil in salted boiling water until just soft. Drain & shake in the pan with the lid on. In a roasting dish put a pack of beef dripping and melt in a hot oven. Once melted chuck in the potatoes & baste with the dripping. Once potatoes are starting to brown take them out of the fat & place on a baking sheet & put back in the oven to crisp up & finish off.

Gravy, in a pan add the juices, SR flour (about 6tablespoons) and 6 beef oxos (I know it's turkey but just think beef oxos give the best flavour). Wisk together until it's a paste & lump free then add the vegetable water a ladle at a time whisking all the time. Once it's the "thickness" you like then leave to simmer for about 5minutes for the flour taste to evaporate 🍴🍴 yum yum 🍴
PJB71 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Dec 16, 08:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Alices Aunt
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by andi30 View Post
Snap for the gravy and I add the juices from the meat. My spuds again the same but after roughing them up I sprinkle with M&S roast potato seasoning
Another vote. I use the Jamie Oliver get ahead gravy recipe and it's lovely. And as you do beforehand it just needs warming.

For the potatoes I use a mixture of veg oil and spray oil to get them crispy. Just need to parboil first and try to let them go cold before putting back in the oven. And be rough with them in the pan after draining so they have fluffy edges.
Alices Aunt is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Dec 16, 11:17 AM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Aunt bessies roast potatoes are horrid! I use the Jamie Oliver recipe. I do cheat a little on gravy in that I do use some granules, but mix with wine, water from the veg and some meat juice, usually some herbs too
Old 20 Dec 16, 12:10 PM  
Link to this Post
deeley
Imagineer

Mobile

Omg no gravy granules, so much salt!
We do the Phil vickery turkey recipe which involves turkey on stove initially and the most divine gravy made with white wine. This year I might make extra gravy and freeze it because it is that good!
Mouth watering already writing this.
Google his website for recipe and video or watch this morning on Friday.
Our sixth year of this method!
Covid cancelled Aug 2020!
Back to NYC Dec 22
deeley is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Dec 16, 06:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Excitedx4
Imagineer

Excitedx4's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Par boil potatoes, drain and rough them up, put them in a pre heated tin with hot goose fat in cover and roast for 40-50 mins turning occasionally.

Gravy I cheat and use M&S 🤗🙈
Excitedx4 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List