Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 1 May 17, 02:33 PM  
Link to this Post

Tight transfer at jfk?

Help please,

So DH and our sons are flying to Vegas but they transfer at jfk... and he only has 1 1/2 hrs to do it! Does he need to ask at check in desk for a pass to go through immigration at jfk quickly (is there such a thing?) or have a chat with one of the air stewards? We have never had such a tight transfer time and I'm panicking that they will miss the connecting flight
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 May 17, 02:37 PM  
Link to this Post
galaxyflorida
Apprentice Imagineer

They should be able to check in for the Vegas flight in the UK if it is booked on one ticket - they'll have to pick up their baggage in JFK, then clear customs, put it back on the belt, then they'll have to change terminals if they have to. It will be tight. If it's all done on one ticket they should get changed if they miss it.

Orlando I-Drive April 2010, July 2017
New York and Washington October 2016
New York and Toronto July 2019

Edited at 05:02 PM.
galaxyflorida is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 May 17, 02:41 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by galaxyflorida View Post
They should be able to check in for the Vegas flight in the UK if it is booked on one ticket - they'll have to pick up their baggage in JFK, then clear customs, put it back on the belt, then they'll have to change terminals if they have to. It will be tight. If it's all done on one ticket they should get changed if they miss it.
They are only taking hand luggage to save a little bit of time as known there luck their bags would be the last off. They fly into terminal 4 and transfer to terminal 2.
Old 1 May 17, 02:42 PM  
Link to this Post

Oh and yes all on one ticket... booked through virgin Atlantic but flying with delta.
Old 4 May 17, 10:35 PM  
Link to this Post

We try and book seats as far front and to the left as possible as will normally disembark from that exit point. (Unless flying business or first of course, in which case you normally exit behind your seat). We try for an aisle seat too, so that we can hop out and get our stuff down rather than being stuck in the seat. Doing this gives us the best chance of being off the plane before 99% of the rest of the flight.

I have been known to pay for seats at the front rather than be free seats at the back. It depends how tight the connection is and what the minimum connection time is for that airport and that route.

I also check seat guru (some of the seats right by the exit have limited overhead bag space and came a cropper on this onetime). Annoying to pay to sit there for quick exit and then find the luggage miles away at the back.

We also all go to the loo before landing. Then walk briskly but don't run to immigration - some people stop for the loo and lose 50-60 places in the queue by doing so.

Sounds like military planning, but can be helpful if you are really concerned about turnaround time.

If flight is late and waiting in departure lounge, then I tend to mention at the desk that I have a connection that I need to make and ask them the specific question about whether or not it is still going to be doable. Once was offered an immediate re-route before we even left LHR!

Similarly - worth noting that Delta domestic flights timings often change so keep an eye on that. We have used flight time changes in the past to get a better routing when the transfer time has been reduced. Obv not if it is only 5 mins!

Am sure all will be well and they will have a great time.
Old 6 May 17, 07:27 AM  
Link to this Post
jdybnsn
Imagineer

I don't understand why Virgin gave you such a tight transfer ... if you miss you flight then end up being late for your FINAL destination ON A THROUGH TICKET then they could be liable to pay you compensation under the EU regulations.

I know this because we had a through ticket last year with Thomas Cook to Grand Cayman via Miami. Although we had a 4 hour layover in Miami (which ordinarily would be fine) our plane went technical in Manchester, and we were landed late in Miami. My point here is that although our connecting flight was still on the ground in Miami when we eventually landed, we then only had 1.5 hours layover, and could not get through immigration before they closed the check in (Cayman Airways) desk for the other flight. Even when we reached the check in desk, the plane was still there - it was still on the runway... but we were denied late boarding. We were left stranded in MIA overnight and finally arrived noon next day.

Can't pretend it wasn't a struggle, but TC did pay out compensation due to our late arrival in our final destination (plus expenses for food & accommodation).
If you read Martin Lewis MSE you will see it is getting to your final destination on a through ticket that counts, not any intermediate stage.

All I am saying is why do airlines put themselves at risk in this case of paying out compensation by allowing such tight transits - especially in the US where immigration is very unlikely to show any kind of special treatment to people on connecting flights ?

From personal experience I would say do ensure you have a back up plan - ie research when the next flights to your destination depart (not just with Delta, as they could choose to send you on a different carrier if they wish, on a through ticket).
If you are arriving late - where are the most convenient airport hotels located ? Having a plan B should lessen any anxiety & stress that may be caused if you do miss your connection.

**GOLD CASTAWAY CAY MEMBERS !**Feb2002- I Drive Feb2004- PORS Feb2006 -Regal Palms/4 Night Disney Wonder Feb2008- Reunion /Disney Magic Western/Omni@CG Feb2010 - Reunion/Disney Magic Eastern/Hammock Beach PalmCoast July2010- Disney Magic 8 Night Dover-Barcelona July2011 Disney Magic10 Night Med.Feb2012-Anna Maria Island/Disney Dream X2/Hyatt GC. May 2014 Disney Fantasy Eastern

Edited at 07:31 AM.
jdybnsn is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 17, 12:43 PM  
Link to this Post

Thanks for the replies, well as it turns out the flight was 45 minutes early landing which gave them breathing space which is just as well as they boarded the next flight with 5 minutes to spare
I also don't understand why they gave such a tight transfer time and it's definitely a lesson learnt.
Old 17 May 17, 09:31 PM  
Link to this Post

Running it fine - but glad to hear all went OK in the end !

Hope they all have a great trip.