Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 19 May 17, 04:52 PM  
Link to this Post
MissFortune
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bridgetx View Post
My lucky escape was being pushed onto the underground track in 1998 at Barons Court. An observant underground worker stopped the line and I was rescued. I spent the next eight weeks in plaster and unable to walk as I was badly injured.

I mainly do not think about the what if. I just think well I was not hit by a train, but I was so close to being, another few seconds either way and I could have been.

Nearly 20 years ago now. I have never fully recovered from the injuries but it is niggles and I manage and nobody would know that I am not functioning as I should.
Wow, how did you get pushed?

Sorry to hear you still suffer.

Originally Posted by webby3 View Post
This one I do remember, had been down to London for a job interview for a new theme park opening just outside Paris, the name escapes me ;-)
Travelling back up the A1 in a blizzard in my mates soft top fiat panda, an oil tanker skidded on the snow/ice and drove over the top of us from behind and split the car in two perfectly between me and my friend in the front seats.
The car was crushed.
I remember the paramedic and fire officer telling us as they arrived on the scene that they didn't expect any survivors.
We both walked away without a scratch, compensation for not getting the job with Euro Disney ;-)
OMG, very lucky.

Edited at 04:53 PM.
MissFortune is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 17, 05:10 PM  
Link to this Post
ILoveLeith
Very Serious Dibber

I was white water rafting down the Zambezi river in 2002 when I fell overboard at a grade 5 rapid. Although I had a life jacket on, I had absolutely no control of my movements and was carried down the rapid with my face just under the water, but thankfully every now & then my face hit the surface and I got some air before going back under again. One if the guys in the kayaks eventually caught me and grabbed the life jacket & threw me over the front of his kayak. Lucky for me he was really strong because I was a dead weight by that stage. My sister-in-law who was still on the raft thought the body in the water was dead, and didn't realise it was still alive and was me till I was pulled from the kayak back onto the raft and landed on top of her .

A few months later I read about a UK tourist whose body was never found after she was white water rafting in South America.

Never again!
Old 19 May 17, 05:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Vinniecat
Imagineer

My lucky escape was one April fools day. I was sat at some traffic lights in my car when a tractor came around the corner on two wheels. I could see that the tractor was going to fall on my car and thought I was going to be squashed. Luckily it landed on the bonnet but also it squashed the drivers door so at 37 weeks pregnant I had to scramble across to the passenger side. When I rang my husband he thought it was an April fool. Apparently the driver was trying to get through the lights before they changed and he was going way too fast for the very sharp turn. As he came round the corner her was already climbing out of the cab.
Vinniecat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 17, 07:08 PM  
Link to this Post
kevin_cambs_uk
Imagineer

Mobile

Not having children with my first wife
When we divorced we went our separate ways over 17 years ago to never see each other again
Phew!
2000 - Ho Jo Maingate West. 2002 - Ho Jo Maingate West. 2003 - Caribbean Beach. 2004 - Forgot where we stayed. 2008 - Pop Century. 2012 - Disneyland Paris for the day. 2015 - Contemporary Resort - 7 days, POFQ - 3 days. 2016 Tokyo Disneyland and Disney Sea. 2018 Contemporary and Wilderness Lodge
kevin_cambs_uk is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 17, 07:23 PM  
Link to this Post
stecee
Imagineer

Originally Posted by kevin_cambs_uk View Post
Not having children with my first wife
When we divorced we went our separate ways over 17 years ago to never see each other again
Phew!
I'm surprised it's taken so long before we got a reply like this. I thought there would be a lot more.
'Oct 97 Days inn main gate west, June '02 Days inn main gate west, Dec '05 All star movie resort, Aug '07 Caribbean Beach Resort, Sept '09 Port Orleans Riverside, Oct'10 Tour then villa at Highgate, May '12 Emerald Island villa. Oct '14 The Keys then SSR.
stecee is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 17, 07:44 PM  
Link to this Post

When I was about 8 I had an electric blanket, my bedroom was at the other end of an L shaped house but for some reason my dad decided to check on me in the middle of the night which he never did... the bed was just catching fire. Someone was definitely watching over us that night
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 17, 07:59 PM  
Link to this Post
djewkes
VIP Dibber

Just a couple, when I was in the WRNS myself and another wren were supposed to go up from lee on Solent to faslane in Scotland to do some work for a few days, the weekly flight had no room for us the week we were meant to go so we were put on the following week... the week we missed the flight ditched into the North Sea... lookily no loss of lives but still scary...
2 years ago I very nearly died with a badly diseased gall bladder, the consultant told me had I been sent home in the morning (as they were going to) I wouldn't have made it back... luckily I had the op in time... and 6 weeks after that I survived a pulmonary embolism (passed out a few times but again lucky to survive... I'm sure my mum was looking after me (my sister died at the same age)...

May 2012 3 weeks Highgate villa, RPR & Barefoot Beach Resort
May 2010 2 weeks The Point Orlando Resort & Clearwater
djewkes is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 17, 08:17 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by andi30 View Post
When I was about 8 I had an electric blanket, my bedroom was at the other end of an L shaped house but for some reason my dad decided to check on me in the middle of the night which he never did... the bed was just catching fire. Someone was definitely watching over us that night
How scary.
Reminds me of when my son was about 7 . I had a really strong urge to check on him during the night so went in and found the cord to his blind tangled round his neck . He was fine and fast asleep but if he'd wriggled anymore in his sleep he probably wouldn't be here.
Blind got binned the next day as I couldn't put his bed anywhere but under the window and went with curtains!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 17, 08:26 PM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

Cannot believe how genuinely scary / life threatening these stories are.
The two I recall are nowhere near as bad but

1) when my son was about three, we went to the chippy, parked the car in a small side road / track , across a main road from the chippy. We got out, I put my hand out for my son to grab hold while we crossed the main road. He instead just ran across the road . With parked cars blocking my view , I ( and he ) had no idea if there was anything coming. At that time, there was maybe a 30% chance of one coming in either direction. But luck was on our side. He wouldn't had stood a chance otherwise

2) during my GCSEs I was being a good boy on a Friday night and stayed in to study, the only person in the house. My mum had a teasmaid ( remember them ? ) by her bed. I heard its bleeping noise going off( we presumed afterwards it was set for 8pm say not 8am) and couldn't be bothered for a few minutes going upstairs to switch it off .fed up with the noise, I went up. When I got upstairs, I found my mum had left a big 3 foot teddy sat on the teasmaid. By the time I got up there, it had a smouldering backside. Had I not been revising , the whole house would have gone up in flames. Ok, there wouldn't have been any risk to life, but pretty scary to think about none the less.
Our MOST ANNOYING trip to Tenerife February 2018 ( an homage to infamous dibb threads
buryboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 17, 09:26 PM  
Link to this Post
wifey
Imagineer

Mobile

I've had my share of incidents, my heart stopped at the dentists while under anaesthetic and it took several minutes to restart my heart. That was when I was about 7 or 8 years old, gave me a fear of dentists ever since. In the 1980s a kid at school was obsessed with me and because I didn't want to know me he strangled me on the school yard near the school field, my breathing stopped and so did my heart... luckily a teacher managed to revive me and the kid concerned got into trouble but nothing else. On holiday in Scotland in the mid 1980s we narrowly avoided a bad traffic accident and a waggon driver ended up across the motorway with the top of his cab and his head ripped off right in front of us! Then when my son was born I found out from the midwife who really panicked that I had a blood clotting problem due to a rare blood disorder and was at risk of bleeding out in the shower. I was in a bad way for the rest of the week but didn't recover from his birth for 5 months due to the constant heavy bleeding despite many medications being taken. The blood disorder now something I struggle with on a daily basis.
As a youngster I was always told to protect my younger sister. Imagine my horror one afternoon when we were both sent to the park 400 yards from our home and she took off with a strange man offering her sweets and to play with his puppy dog. She screamed at me to mind my own business and went into his car with him. I dashed back home told my parents who thought at first I was making it up and we'd had a row. Nope, I told them the car registration and colour and his description. They found her an hour later with police help but she was livid with me for saving her, she never thought she was in danger or trouble. She was only about 6 or 7 at the time. She held that grudge for years. My parents weren't too happy either because of the sheer will I used to get them motivated to find her. I've been friends with a girl who a few years ago was murdered and her body never found. I really go shivers just yesterday after discovering that a woman was raped on the route I take home from work at night on a regular basis, it's usually quiet and well lit so it doesn't stand out as a dangerous place to be walking. There are other incidents too. These are my main ones.
1998 Comfort Inn LBV, 2000 AS Music, 2002 Spring Hill Suites LLB, 2004 AS Movies, 2005 Comfort Inn LBV& Sequoia Lodge DLRP, 2007 AS Movies. September 2009 Port Orleans French Quarter, Yacht Club August 2013 "Club Level" WL August 2015, CBR Celebrating 26 Years Together October 2017.
wifey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List