Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Old 26 Jan 20, 06:42 PM  
Link to this Post
AllyD
Trying for More Ears

Originally Posted by Redsox77 View Post
Hi, yes we’ve been fortunate to have trips up and down the Gulf Coast but love Treasure Island the most. We’ve managed to find a house on one of the booking rental sites that is on the waterway, short walk to the beach and private pool for way way less that the hotel we used to use that was beachfront. Great restaurants within walking distance and malls a short drive.
The only time you’d likely get rowdiness and that’s anywhere would be the Spring Break period.

If you don't mind me asking Redsox77, what is the name of the rental that you stay in on Treasure Island? Thanks
AllyD is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 20, 08:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Redsox77
Very Serious Dibber

Have sent you a Private message :-)
Redsox77 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 20, 08:25 AM  
Link to this Post
fatblokeflorida
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by AllyD View Post
If you don't mind me asking Redsox77, what is the name of the rental that you stay in on Treasure Island? Thanks
Could I jump in and ask too?
fatblokeflorida is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 20, 08:45 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

The Gulf Coast is stunning, I have stayed or visited nearly every major area from Naples to the Alabama border in maybe 25+ trips, and have never experienced what you are describing in drunk people etc. This description you give is about as far as you can get from most places on the Gulf (which if it does have a ‘Spring Break’ crowd would likely be Clearwater, maybe Fort Myers, Destin, Panama City and St Petersburg but even these are hardly party capitals) which is generally quite quiet, well heeled and an area of outstanding natural beauty. I have never seen red tide either although they’ve had a few bad episodes of it recently.

I very much like Naples, but it is all very nice, I’d suggest maybe not St Petersburg although it is pretty nice too, there are nicer places on the Gulf and this is one of the only areas that have communities that are a little rougher around the edges shall we say, closer to the coast with higher crime rates.

Once in St Petersburg about 15 years ago (I was staying Treasure Island I think at the time) I was in a petrol station and some fella said he was going to go home, get his gun, and come back as he had a beef with the attendant. This was a rough area, not far from the coast. But that area is very unusual, and I haven’t been back. Many of the safest cities in Florida are along the Gulf, and generally most are much lower crime rate than Orlando.

Many Brits when they go to the Gulf actually head to one of the least best areas because they have ‘heard’ about Clearwater or St Pete’s etc.

If you want somewhere close to Orlando I would recommend Anna Maria Island where I only went for the first time at Xmas but was impressed, and Indian Shores/ Indian Beach is nice. If you don’t mind 2.5 hours drive, consider Naples (one of the wealthiest cities in the USA).

Edited at 08:59 AM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 20, 09:36 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

We've been on Bokeelia since November, and whilst red tide was heavy when we arrived it's now clear. Thankfully masses of turkey vultures chomped down all the dead fish.

The issue with the summer is Lake O releases as, generally, all water is released into the Caloosahatchee River which exits into the Gulf between Cape Coral and Fort Myers, winds dictate where it heads thereafter. Unfortunately until water is released nobody can predict how conditions will be. Last year was nothing like the devastation seen in 2018 when Fort Myers Beach became a ghost town, businesses closed as there was no customers whilst others went out of business, it was a dreadful, harrowing time for this area with huge losses of marine life, 10% of Fl manatee died as did dolphin, a 25ft whale shark and, apparently, over a million tons of other marine life, fish, sea turtles et al. Sadly many one man band fishermen on the island couldn't sustain their losses and went out of business too. The island saw a ray of hope when Pine Island Fisheries, which closed after the 2018 devastation was sold last Autumn, the new owners promptly opened again and it's running at full capacity, it's great to see the remaining one man band fishermen bringing in their catches, excellent
Old 27 Jan 20, 09:43 AM  
Link to this Post
AllyD
Trying for More Ears

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
The Gulf Coast is stunning.

Many Brits when they go to the Gulf actually head to one of the least best areas because they have ‘heard’ about Clearwater or St Pete’s etc.

If you want somewhere close to Orlando I would recommend Anna Maria Island where I only went for the first time at Xmas but was impressed, and Indian Shores/ Indian Beach is nice. If you don’t mind 2.5 hours drive, consider Naples (one of the wealthiest cities in the USA).
Thanks YorkshireT, I'm afraid we have also only ever been told about Clearwater or St Petes when we have previously been in Orlando. But haven't been keen on reviews we've read about these areas. Your comment about the gun incident has certainly made sure that we steer clear of that area. All we want is a few chill days, see the manatees, dolphins and stingrays hopefully, do a few beach trips, beach sports, browse around some shops, hopefully visit the shark tooth beach and then hit Orlando. I have contacted 3 properties in AMI but have as yet had no reply. We may be too late and may have to give up for this year. Not sure we will get to Naples as it is a bit of a drive, but it looks stunning, with plenty to do. I will have a look at Indian Shores/Indian Beach too. Many thanks.
AllyD is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 20, 11:29 AM  
Link to this Post
7SeasSailor
Imagineer

Collecting shark teeth is what we would like to do too, hence thinking of staying at Siesta key so that we're not too far away...
We tend to use Rotonda West as a base.
Old 27 Jan 20, 11:37 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Thanks YorkshireT, I'm afraid we have also only ever been told about Clearwater or St Petes when we have previously been in Orlando. But haven't been keen on reviews we've read about these areas. Your comment about the gun incident has certainly made sure that we steer clear of that area. All we want is a few chill days, see the manatees, dolphins and stingrays hopefully, do a few beach trips, beach sports, browse around some shops, hopefully visit the shark tooth beach and then hit Orlando. I have contacted 3 properties in AMI but have as yet had no reply. We may be too late and may have to give up for this year. Not sure we will get to Naples as it is a bit of a drive, but it looks stunning, with plenty to do. I will have a look at Indian Shores/Indian Beach too. Many thanks.
I would not be put off by the drive to Naples- it is very easy.

Indian Shores, go on Homeaway and look at something like Barefoot Beach Condo resort- nothing fancy just very pleasant, right across the road from a lovely beach, nice pool (backs onto inland waterway - Greg Norman used to live directly across not sure if he still does) great coffee shop walk down the road, good restaurant next door (Rock Salt), lots to see and do- drive out to various places, and if you want chain restaurants like Outback, Millers and numerous others, they are 10 mins in the car in Seminole.
This is the one we stayed at before our cruise in summer- very nice, as I say nothing fancy at all, but very good value and brilliant location. I said to my wife when we were there (went for 4 nights) I could have done with a month here- we have booked it again for 4 nights at Xmas (combined with a Boardwalk 1 bed stay at WDW). The photos are just like it is, and the beach is literally a 2 min walk from the front door.
homeaway/p261123vb...ure=2020-12-27

Edited at 11:43 AM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 20, 01:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
The Gulf Coast is stunning, I have stayed or visited nearly every major area from Naples to the Alabama border in maybe 25+ trips, and have never experienced what you are describing in drunk people etc. This description you give is about as far as you can get from most places on the Gulf (which if it does have a ‘Spring Break’ crowd would likely be Clearwater, maybe Fort Myers, Destin, Panama City and St Petersburg but even these are hardly party capitals) which is generally quite quiet, well heeled and an area of outstanding natural beauty. I have never seen red tide either although they’ve had a few bad episodes of it recently.

I very much like Naples, but it is all very nice, I’d suggest maybe not St Petersburg although it is pretty nice too, there are nicer places on the Gulf and this is one of the only areas that have communities that are a little rougher around the edges shall we say, closer to the coast with higher crime rates.

Once in St Petersburg about 15 years ago (I was staying Treasure Island I think at the time) I was in a petrol station and some fella said he was going to go home, get his gun, and come back as he had a beef with the attendant. This was a rough area, not far from the coast. But that area is very unusual, and I haven’t been back. Many of the safest cities in Florida are along the Gulf, and generally most are much lower crime rate than Orlando.

Completely agree with YT, never witnessed what you describe. Naples is stunning and IMO possibly the classiest place in FL although all that coast is beautiful. St Pete beach was my least favourite (different to St Petersburg) and there are one of 2 resorts there which are busy and loud.
If you don’t want the 4 hour drive to Naples maybe consider Sarasota which is 2 hours
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 20, 01:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

I was filling up my car in Clearwater and somebody came up to me and asked me to pay for his fuel. I told him to get lost like I would in the UK.

When my wife asked what he wanted she reminded me that he might have had a gun!
Moorlandman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List