Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 14 Mar 18, 12:30 PM  
Link to this Post
LunaNyteskye
Apprentice Imagineer

North Coast 500

Despite it being right on our doorstep, we have never done Scotland's Route 66! We have done the east coast purely when travelling up to Wick or Orkney but never the west. So this summer, DD(13) and I are going to do the NC500.

I have booked 1 night accommodation each at Applecross, Lochinver and Thurso (purely due to availability/price of accommodation and it seemed the best way to break up the drive). DD's only must do's are Smoo Cave at Durness and Dunrobin Castle which we pass on the way home.

Anyone done this before? Is there anything we must see or do?

October 2009 Sequoia Lodge Disneyland Paris;
October 2011 Kissimmee Villa;
October 2013 Port Orleans Riverside WDW;
November 2015 Lake Buena Vista Resort Village & Spa;
November 2016 Hotel Santa Fe Disneyland Paris;
October 2019 Animal Kingdom Lodge WDW, DIBB Villa, Hard Rock Hotel & Grand Floridian WDW

Edited at 01:00 PM.
LunaNyteskye is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Mar 18, 08:48 PM  
Link to this Post
cherub85
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

My sister moved up there in the summer. They’ve set up a motor home business renting them out for people doing the route. I know they love it, so many beautiful beaches. They love Durness. Enjoy!
cherub85 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Mar 18, 09:41 PM  
Link to this Post
jools1302
Apprentice Imagineer

jools1302's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
My husband is cycling that route this Summer 6th July for 5 days, if you’re traveling then look out for them! 😀
Old 14 Mar 18, 11:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Lynne123
Proud to wear my Ears

Cocoa mountain in Durness has amazing hot chocolate !
Old 15 Mar 18, 07:24 AM  
Link to this Post
georgemac
Imagineer

georgemac's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Also live in Scotland and would like to do this. What stops us, probably lack of reasonably priced hotels. Would worry about motor home on some of the roads. The scenery will be second to none, weather likely to be changeable!
1997 Airtours, 1999 BA Best Western LBV, 2001 Westridge Villa, 2005 Westridge Villa (Trip Report)
georgemac is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Mar 18, 12:01 PM  
Link to this Post
LunaNyteskye
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by jools1302 View Post
My husband is cycling that route this Summer 6th July for 5 days, if you’re traveling then look out for them! 😀
We're doing 14th July for 4 days so will miss him. Don't know if I fancy cycling it! Driving the Berriedale Braes is hard enough!

Originally Posted by Lynne123 View Post
Cocoa mountain in Durness has amazing hot chocolate !
That is definitely on the list! Apparently there is a gin distillery somewhere too so that will have to be visited.

Originally Posted by georgemac View Post
Also live in Scotland and would like to do this. What stops us, probably lack of reasonably priced hotels. Would worry about motor home on some of the roads. The scenery will be second to none, weather likely to be changeable!
I looked into hiring a campervan, but that worked out too expensive. We're now just hostelling all the way. Availability was limited as I wanted private rooms rather just beds in the dorms since DD is only 13. I think I was only a fiver more for a private room than I would have been for 2 beds in the dorms.

We only stay 35 miles east of Inverness, so this is literally right on our doorstep. We've said for years we would do it but finally getting round to it.

October 2009 Sequoia Lodge Disneyland Paris;
October 2011 Kissimmee Villa;
October 2013 Port Orleans Riverside WDW;
November 2015 Lake Buena Vista Resort Village & Spa;
November 2016 Hotel Santa Fe Disneyland Paris;
October 2019 Animal Kingdom Lodge WDW, DIBB Villa, Hard Rock Hotel & Grand Floridian WDW

Edited at 12:09 PM.
LunaNyteskye is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Mar 18, 03:36 PM  
Link to this Post
KATIEMAC
Apprentice Imagineer

I'm an Invernessian living "down south" but when you're in the Lochinver area, you must visit Achmelvich and Clachtoll beaches ...amazing. The waterfall at Inverkirkaig is worth the walk and food is great at The Mission in Lochinver. Have fun!

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]
2009 Villa, Clearwater and POR / 2011 Villa Lake Berkley 2013 Townhouse Lake Berkley 2016 New York - Nashville - Memphis - Tampa - Universal Studios
2017 NYC, 2018 NYC
KATIEMAC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Mar 18, 11:38 PM  
Link to this Post
christybell
Imagineer

We have just booked a weekend in a cottage in Polglass overlooking Summer Isles in April...enjoying this thread as we plan to visit Durness and Achmelvich.

Trying to see a bit of our own country!

July 2009 ASM/TI/Hmew'd Suites
August 2010 OKW/Dibb villa
July2011 OKW/RPR/Cocoa Beach/Dibb Villa
July 2012 RPR/Carnival Destiny/Dibb Villa
July 2013 OKW/Anna Maria Island/Dibb Villa
Nov 2013 Sunset Lakes- my 40th Birthday
April 2014 Cruise and Villa
April 2015 Clearwater/RPR/Dibb Villa
Dec 2015 Dibb Villa to see the Xmas lights
July 2016 RPR/Cruise/Dibb villa
christybell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Mar 18, 11:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Lynne123
Proud to wear my Ears

Gin distillery is in Dunnet on the road between Thurso and John O Groats. The gin is called rockrose. Duncansby stacks near John O Groats is well worth a visit too.
Old 17 Mar 18, 11:34 AM  
Link to this Post
dizzymcfarlane
Apprentice Imagineer

We did this last year in our Motorhome - but we took 2 weeks Loved it. Be prepared to stop regularly, we stayed at campsite at Clachtoll and at one stage had porpoises in the bay jumping about and an otter about 10 feet away eating crabs. Didn’t know where to look. It is bringing a lot of business to the area but not all the locals are happy about it ! The sheep in particular take great delight in suddenly running in front of you ... all part of the adventure. Have a fab time - we did.
dizzymcfarlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List