Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 8 Jan 20, 09:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Joshie1
Imagineer

Joshie1's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Career change at 50?

Having just passed the 50 mark I am contemplating a career change but wonder if anyone has done this at this age or am I mad to even contemplate it?
I don’t have a primary degree as went straight from school into a financial institution and worked there getting to a middle management role then taking time out to be at home with our son until 3 years ago and am now working in a non challenging admin role.
I do have general business related qualifications that I gathered along the way through night courses but none that would equip me for a specific role.
Just wondering if anyone has any advice/experience to share?
Joshie1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 20, 09:50 PM  
Link to this Post
DISNEYLIZ
Imagineer

My Dh did it at 50, he had been in retail management since leaving college. One day he found out that they were selling up (saw a man measuring up and taking photos of the premises), he is now a lorry driver and loves it.
Good luck
DISNEYLIZ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 20, 10:37 PM  
Link to this Post
disney1st timer
Imagineer

Mobile

My dad was an electrical buyer his whole life and in his 50’s he did an OU Phycology degree and moved in to working with people with acquired brain injuries. He didn’t earn as much but he loved what he did and wished he’d have done it sooner. Unfortunately he passed away unexpectedly at 56.
2018 - Villa in Davenport
2022 - Blue Tree Resort
disney1st timer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 20, 11:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Bessie
Apprentice Imagineer

My OH served his time as an electrician from 17 years old & worked as a qualified electrician until he was 52. A local college was advertising for Electrical Lecturers, nothing ventured nothing gained, so he went for it. No teaching qualifications at all & he got the job, fast forward 12 months & he's got his first teaching qualification under his belt & now studying for the second.

He never ever thought of such a drastic change, but pleased he got to hang up the tools & dedicate his time & effort to training others & the 10 weeks holiday & pension are a bonus
Star Island & Westgate Lakes 2 wks Sept 98, Blue Tree Resort 3 wks Sept 99, Blue Tree Resort 3 wks Sept 00, Blue Tree Resort & AMI 3 wks Sept 01, DLP Aug 02, Venetian Bay Villages 2 wks Aug 08, Bella Piazza 2 wks Aug 11 Windsor Hills 3 wks Aug 12, Windsor Hills 2 wks Oct 15 Paradise Palms 2 wks June 2017
Bessie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jan 20, 04:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Lola
Imagineer

Lola's Reviews
If you have varied business quals it could be worth asking at your local college for trainer/lecturer posts
Lola is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jan 20, 04:49 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Originally Posted by disney1st timer View Post
My dad was an electrical buyer his whole life and in his 50’s he did an OU Phycology degree and moved in to working with people with acquired brain injuries. He didn’t earn as much but he loved what he did and wished he’d have done it sooner. Unfortunately he passed away unexpectedly at 56.
I am sorry to hear that your dad passed away so young. Full respect to him for getting a degree aged 50 because most people (including myself) wouldn't put themselves through the hard work involved. I'm glad he enjoyed his new job, but obviously sad it wasn't for as long as it should have been.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jan 20, 04:58 PM  
Link to this Post
TracyW
Imagineer

I worked in accounts all my working life, but two years ago at 55 I decided I had had enough of all the pressure and responsibility, applied for a reception/admin job (funnily in an accounting firm ) and love it! No regrets and love just walking away from my desk every night with no stress! I took a small cut in salary but I think it was worth it

Amerihost Resort 2002, ASMovies May/June 2004, AKL 7/8 June 2004, ASMovies April 2006, DLRP Explorers Hotel Nov 2006, CB Aug 2008, Sequoia Lodge DLRP Aug 2009, POR Oct 2011, West Coast 2013, POR 2015, AMI 2015, DLC 2017, POR 2023
TracyW is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jan 20, 05:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Joshie1
Imagineer

Joshie1's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Thank you everyone for your sharing your experiences.
I am in the position where I don’t want to take a step back as have already done that, I think I want to step up again and take on more responsibility. While it is nice to go home and leave the job behind I miss the challenge of a more demanding role. It probably doesn’t help that I don’t have the best working environment either.

Disney1st timer, sorry to read about your Dad passing away so young. Nice to read though that he found a career that he really enjoyed.

Edited at 05:19 PM.
Joshie1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jan 20, 06:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Moleymole
Imagineer

I’m 47 and am in the second year of a masters to qualify in a professional role, completely different from anything I have ever done. I just had a,” if not now then it will be never” moment and went for it.
OKW again 2015 and Anna Maria
2017 Contemporary Resort & Anna Maria
ALWAYS AUGUST!

August 2022 my 50th! - Universal Hardrock Hotel, Bay Lake Tower, Boardwalk villas, Polynesian, Anna Maria Island.

Moleymole is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List