Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Closed Thread

Old 7 May 16, 09:03 PM  
Link to this Post
whlparkstone
Imagineer

Mobile Working in retail... gen public

I started in a large supermarket about 6 weeks ago, my first time in retail and working with general public.

It has been good, but today has really knocked my confidence. Rude, aggressive and just generally unpleasant people came into the store today. It was busy and I was in the firing line for all the negative comments as I was monitoring the self serve area.

Anyone els work in a similar role and have days where they struggle?
Old 7 May 16, 09:06 PM  
Link to this Post
caspdex
Apprentice Imagineer

The self serve area is purposely designed to hack people off IMO.
caspdex is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 May 16, 09:06 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

I've worked in customer service for 15 years, the best things to do is kill them with kindness.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 May 16, 09:09 PM  
Link to this Post
BLDY&McGoo
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Mobile

My shop (greggs cafe) has just gone through a refit and we no longer run as the old cafe style. We used to have china plates however now we just have trays for the items to go onto.
Last weekend I got told to go F myself because a customer didnt like the change!

Today one of my girls made a mistake and charged a guy for a bottle of coke instead of a can. He came back & started getting really angry over something that was clearly a mistake. He wanted me to sack her over it & said he recons she does it to everyone! Poor girl the buttons on the till are next to each other and it was a true mistake

The good customers far out weigh the bad so keep sticking it out. After a while you learn how to compose yourself and deal with the situations, theres no need to take them to heart. Sometimes they are fixable others you just have to 'let it go'
There really is no pleasing some people
BLDY&McGoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 May 16, 09:09 PM  
Link to this Post
ely3857
Imagineer

Mobile

Oh yes. Every single customer service role I've ever had has included days where I'd happily key a customers car.

As above, kill them with kindness!
Old 7 May 16, 09:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Chilli-pepper
Imagineer

I have to meet with the general public often in my work and have to deal with some very difficult and often aggressive situations, working for the local council and health services unfortunately puts me in the firing line for everything wrong with the county being my fault. Over the years I have just learned to switch off and let it ride over me, not easy at first but I've built up a thick skin now.
Chilli-pepper is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 May 16, 09:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

I work in sales/customer service and had some real gems yesterday.
One person actually swore at me and said he was going to fly from Inverness to Guildford and then drive to our premises.
Not sure where he thought he was going to land in Guildford? I refrained from asking but I was tempted.
I just keep nice and calm and try not to laugh!

Some weeks I wonder if Jeremy Beadle's back from
the dead

Edited at 09:16 PM.
Vanillapod is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 May 16, 09:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Taffy1959
VIP Dibber

Taffy1959's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
There are some extremely rude people out there, I've worked in a supermarket for 10 years and have had the misfortune to meet some absolutely obnoxious people unfortunately for them I don't take it and they get it back from me.

The best comeback I ever heard from a fellow worker was when we'd run out of something and the customer was really rude and said I'll go to xxxx which is over the road from us, she came back with would you like a map because I can get you one, he just stood there and didn't know what to say 😂😂😂
Old 7 May 16, 09:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
I work in retail , I've been in the same store nearly 4 years now and it can be brutal... and over the years I've had some demanding jobs. Customers I can cope with its the bitching and moaning amongst the staff that gets on my wick :angry: and management that don't know their ≈≈≈≈≈ from their elbows... thank god my mangers lovely otherwise I'd have thrown the towel in long since.
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 May 16, 09:29 PM  
Link to this Post

You should try running a business on eBay, keyboard warrior's or what.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread