Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 19 Jun 19, 08:57 AM  
Link to this Post
PumpkinCupcake
Apprentice Imagineer

Amex gold referral question..

I received a referral for the amex gold 2 years ago in August (I can probably get the exact date if I check through my emails), and then referred my OH last July (again, I can check the exact date), before cancelling my card. He added me on for a supplementary card (which I believe does not count as being a personal card holder?) and we're now coming up to the end of that year.

We are now looking into referring me for the card, and for him cancelling his before the annual fee is due.

Is the 24 months between being able to receive the welcome bonus, exactly to the day? I'm just thinking that if my 24 months ends in August, but his card needs cancelled in July, there will be an overlap and it means he can't refer me.

Am I missing something?

I've read quite a few head for points articles this morning, but I can't seem to find one with more details on this.
PumpkinCupcake is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 19, 06:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Ladyshopper
Imagineer

I'm a regular head for points reader, and my understanding of it is that it needs to be a minimum of 24 months, so if he refers you in July you won't be eligible for the welcome bonus (but obviously your husband will still get the referral bonus).

We have decided we are just going to refer each other regularly, probably every 6 months, rather than leaving 2 years of having no Amex. Will still get referral points, plus the 2 free lounge club passes, so will try and tie that in to when we're going away. With the way Amex has changed the welcome bonus terms and conditions meaning you have to have a clear 2 years between cards, we are unlikely to rack up enough points to make it worth getting the card where you get the 2 for 1 companion voucher for example, so I suspect our long haul "free" business class flight days are now over.
Ladyshopper is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 19, 06:35 PM  
Link to this Post
coggie
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Ladyshopper View Post
I'm a regular head for points reader, and my understanding of it is that it needs to be a minimum of 24 months, so if he refers you in July you won't be eligible for the welcome bonus (but obviously your husband will still get the referral bonus).

We have decided we are just going to refer each other regularly, probably every 6 months, rather than leaving 2 years of having no Amex. Will still get referral points, plus the 2 free lounge club passes, so will try and tie that in to when we're going away. With the way Amex has changed the welcome bonus terms and conditions meaning you have to have a clear 2 years between cards, we are unlikely to rack up enough points to make it worth getting the card where you get the 2 for 1 companion voucher for example, so I suspect our long haul "free" business class flight days are now over.
I thought I read somewhere on here that Amex have put a stop to the 6 month flipping
coggie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 19, 08:52 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

Yes DW managed to get a new card and earn bonus miles then when I tried the same a couple of months later they sussed it and got diddly squat, this was around Feb
The Prisoner of Vineland Mall (2019) Orlando passion, romance and fine dining...ok so it's mainly eating
Scream if you want to go Fatter! (2018) This report contains images some dieters may find distressing!
The 12 Days of Easter (2015) Rumoured to contain up to one good joke. Let me know if you find it
theCMG is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 19, 06:39 AM  
Link to this Post
malt1977
Apprentice Imagineer

Yup, the 6 month thing stopped earlier this year, I think you can only do it every 12 months now.
malt1977 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 19, 03:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Ladyshopper
Imagineer

Originally Posted by coggie View Post
I thought I read somewhere on here that Amex have put a stop to the 6 month flipping
You can refer someone as often as you like, and you will receive the referral bonus. However, they won't get the welcome bonus if they have held an American Express card in the last 24 months.

Originally Posted by malt1977 View Post
Yup, the 6 month thing stopped earlier this year, I think you can only do it every 12 months now.
See above! We used to churn cards up until the changes, so would refer each other and get the welcome bonus. Can't get the welcome bonus any more, but we can still refer each other, so can get something out of the scheme.
Ladyshopper is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 19, 07:38 PM  
Link to this Post
bernard301
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by PumpkinCupcake View Post
I received a referral for the amex gold 2 years ago in August (I can probably get the exact date if I check through my emails), and then referred my OH last July (again, I can check the exact date), before cancelling my card. He added me on for a supplementary card (which I believe does not count as being a personal card holder?) and we're now coming up to the end of that year.

We are now looking into referring me for the card, and for him cancelling his before the annual fee is due.

Is the 24 months between being able to receive the welcome bonus, exactly to the day? I'm just thinking that if my 24 months ends in August, but his card needs cancelled in July, there will be an overlap and it means he can't refer me.

Am I missing something?

I've read quite a few head for points articles this morning, but I can't seem to find one with more details on this.
Theres nothing stopping him down grading to the free basic card before then referring you in August from that
bernard301 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List