Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 9 Apr 17, 11:28 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Gill H View Post
Shame about the seat confrontation but good on the usher for finding a solution.

I remember reading about the Schindler's List controversy; I think it was meant to be a tribute but it seems really badly thought out.

The aquarium looks great, sounds a really interesting day.
It was the costumes that made me uncomfortable. I think if they had skated just in simple grey costumes then maybe...but the stained clothing was just...

Poot loves an aquarium. The first time we went to Sea World he would have happily spent the whole day stroking the rays.

If you ever go to Boulogne-sur-Mer - they have an outstanding aquarium (free parking, too!) - so much nicer than ours in London.

...lol...my Kindle kept trying to correct sur-Mer to spur-Mercedes...

Originally Posted by disney owl View Post
What a terrible seat "problem"
I felt really rotten. But what could I do?

And it got worse...
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Apr 17, 08:39 PM  
Link to this Post
RachelM
VIP Dibber

RachelM's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
Oh no... what a nightmare seat problem. I have no idea what I would have done.
Old 11 Apr 17, 10:57 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by RachelM View Post
Oh no... what a nightmare seat problem. I have no idea what I would have done.

Just wait - it gets worse!

Thanks for sticking with us - lots more skating to come...
Old 16 Jun 17, 05:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Happy Friday April.

What a day you had I'm not sure what I would have said to the large skating fans. A friend of mine has to book 2 seats on planes as she is too big for one seat. I think she tries to plan in advance to avoid embarrassing moments.

I really liked the photos of the aquarium. The jelly fish and the frog were my favourites. Something about their unnatural colours appealed.

Surely the boys must be getting back on track with their food budget if they had wraps and pizza for lunch followed by burritos for dinner?

Bye for now

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 17, 08:28 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
Happy Friday April.

What a day you had I'm not sure what I would have said to the large skating fans. A friend of mine has to book 2 seats on planes as she is too big for one seat. I think she tries to plan in advance to avoid embarrassing moments.

I really liked the photos of the aquarium. The jelly fish and the frog were my favourites. Something about their unnatural colours appealed.

Surely the boys must be getting back on track with their food budget if they had wraps and pizza for lunch followed by burritos for dinner?

Bye for now

And to you, Abby!

Oh, I felt so awful. The last thing I wanted was to make her/them feel embarrassed - but as you say, SURELY they must have anticipated that there might be problems. Even Poot couldn't have fit in that seat! Your poor friend, though - it's hard enough being big in a skinny world - let alone having to pay for two seats.

And *somewhat related*...I read this week that some of the slides at Volcano Bay have SCALES that you must step on before you go on them...what is Universal's thing with chubby people?

And NOT AT ALL related - have you thought about signing up for a Big Apple Greeter? Do you think your family would like that? I am toying with the idea of requesting one (we have a couple nights in NY after the cruise)...

Poot has made a book out of his report from this holiday to give to R.C. as his Father's Day present...

...and he was going through it with me today - and was telling me how he had to do all the ordering at the Aquarium and Chipotle. Because - as you know - R.C. can't cope with fast food places - he just gave Poot money and then went to hide at a table.

I tried to convince R.C. before we left for America that he'd need more money for food...and he wouldn't listen. You can always tell an Englishman - but you can't tell him much.
Old 17 Jun 17, 06:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Originally Posted by GopherLass View Post
And to you, Abby!

Oh, I felt so awful. The last thing I wanted was to make her/them feel embarrassed - but as you say, SURELY they must have anticipated that there might be problems. Even Poot couldn't have fit in that seat! Your poor friend, though - it's hard enough being big in a skinny world - let alone having to pay for two seats.

And *somewhat related*...I read this week that some of the slides at Volcano Bay have SCALES that you must step on before you go on them...what is Universal's thing with chubby people?

And NOT AT ALL related - have you thought about signing up for a Big Apple Greeter? Do you think your family would like that? I am toying with the idea of requesting one (we have a couple nights in NY after the cruise)...

Poot has made a book out of his report from this holiday to give to R.C. as his Father's Day present...

...and he was going through it with me today - and was telling me how he had to do all the ordering at the Aquarium and Chipotle. Because - as you know - R.C. can't cope with fast food places - he just gave Poot money and then went to hide at a table.

I tried to convince R.C. before we left for America that he'd need more money for food...and he wouldn't listen. You can always tell an Englishman - but you can't tell him much.
I think it's a lovely idea that Poot made the holiday into a book for RC. I always make a book of our holiday photos on the snapfish website as I like having them printed out and not just sitting on the computer, but this is a big distraction when I am supposed to be dusting the lounge!

I read about the scales at Volcano Bay and then I watched the review on the DIS and they said it was to do with spreading the load in raft rides so that it wasn't too light or too heavy. Gee whizz that's not going to be my favourite part of the trip.

Now don't go adding ideas for my NYC itinerary it's been through so many changes and I thought it was sorted, it's been planned to the nth degree. Hmm maybe I could squeeze in on day 3 afternoon... seriously they do look good and when we went to Prague a couple of years ago we had a similar tour which was fab as our guide not only explained the sites, but the politics and history of socio-economics of the city. It was really interesting.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 17, 12:08 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
I think it's a lovely idea that Poot made the holiday into a book for RC. I always make a book of our holiday photos on the snapfish website as I like having them printed out and not just sitting on the computer, but this is a big distraction when I am supposed to be dusting the lounge!

I read about the scales at Volcano Bay and then I watched the review on the DIS and they said it was to do with spreading the load in raft rides so that it wasn't too light or too heavy. Gee whizz that's not going to be my favourite part of the trip.

Now don't go adding ideas for my NYC itinerary it's been through so many changes and I thought it was sorted, it's been planned to the nth degree. Hmm maybe I could squeeze in on day 3 afternoon... seriously they do look good and when we went to Prague a couple of years ago we had a similar tour which was fab as our guide not only explained the sites, but the politics and history of socio-economics of the city. It was really interesting.

What is this DUST-ING you speak of?

I love proper "printed" photos/photo-books, too. I actually scrapbook - but after such a long holiday the task seems quite daunting!

And I'm sure the scales at VB are discreet (and a good idea for safety) - but if Disney can manage without them...well...it just seems to me that Universal TRIES to make it hard for bigger folks.

Sorry about New York. I'll shut up now about YOUR trip. I just was going back and forth in my mind - wondering if it would be a good thing for folks with kids - or not. I was thinking it COULD be great for Poot to talk to a local about the things that really interest him, since you can specify your interest/s on the BAG request form...it also might be good to get up into somewhere like the Bronx - where I've never been before...

No more now - see you next week!
Old 23 Jun 17, 03:57 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

Friday again! How can that be?! On the other hand, my countdown is verging close to the stage where it starts to become painfully slow.

I genuinely have the urge to look up some of these performances on YouTube.

Bless the girl that fell, at least she took it in good humour! She was probably relieved that if she was going to fall it was after she'd finished skating!

I think I'd have loved Free Dancing, especially hearing what music the couples had picked out. I totally agree about your views on the Italians, that certainly leaves a poor taste in the mouth. The music is fine but the costumes are too much.

I love Chipotle, nice lunch choice Poot. I really like the rice bowls which you can trick yourself into thinking are healthy despite being laden down with sour cream and cheese.

R.C. may be pleased to hear that we have to eat chips with a fork in our house. Less pleased to hear that I have just eaten lunch at a restaurant which doesn't use plates or cutlery and has a roll of kitchen towel in the centre of the table!

It's certainly a male thing not having any concept of cost. It's endearingly innocent in many ways, but equally frustrating. I don't speak of holiday costs as OH has a history of heart problems in his family

You should start a pre-trip for your cruise/NYC, I am very interested to hear your plans.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 17, 06:14 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by collybird View Post
Friday again! How can that be?! On the other hand, my countdown is verging close to the stage where it starts to become painfully slow.

I genuinely have the urge to look up some of these performances on YouTube.

Bless the girl that fell, at least she took it in good humour! She was probably relieved that if she was going to fall it was after she'd finished skating!

I think I'd have loved Free Dancing, especially hearing what music the couples had picked out. I totally agree about your views on the Italians, that certainly leaves a poor taste in the mouth. The music is fine but the costumes are too much.

I love Chipotle, nice lunch choice Poot. I really like the rice bowls which you can trick yourself into thinking are healthy despite being laden down with sour cream and cheese.

R.C. may be pleased to hear that we have to eat chips with a fork in our house. Less pleased to hear that I have just eaten lunch at a restaurant which doesn't use plates or cutlery and has a roll of kitchen towel in the centre of the table!

It's certainly a male thing not having any concept of cost. It's endearingly innocent in many ways, but equally frustrating. I don't speak of holiday costs as OH has a history of heart problems in his family

You should start a pre-trip for your cruise/NYC, I am very interested to hear your plans.

Oh no you don't, Colette! You're not talking me into another project like that Florida trippie - because this trip will be just as long. I *think* that I might do something like a "Highs, Lows and Funny Stories", though.

"And When..." took me SO LONG to write - I just don't think I can do that again.

I think my favourite performance of the whole championships was Ashley Wagner's free program - I think you'll see that one in two weeks. I normally like the men best () - but while I really enjoyed this years' programs, none GRABBED me like some have in the past.

The free dances are always fascinating, though - it's sometimes surprising to see what can work - and what doesn't.

You are kind for trying to get into this...I remember reading a trippie once that had lots of car racing in it - I could FEEL the enthusiasm of the writer, but I was still confused.

Mmm...Chipotle - I try very hard not to think about the calories in one of those burritos, as I am never able to "hold the cheese" (or cream, sadly) either. Chips with a fork, though - I am NOT with you there. Even The Queen allows fingers for French fries!

And "endearing"...not sure about that. I think that R.C. got used to America being really cheap - the rate was 2:1 when we got married - and he still expects me to be able to magic up places where we can have a three course meal for £50. And those places don't exist anymore.

"History of heart problems" - I liked that one.

EDIT: Forgot to say - the lovely OB1 told me how to find my Universal photos on the website - I've now been able to download them all - including several "magic shots" where they didn't remember to insert the character. We look utterly gormless (stop it!) pointing and staring - at thin air.

Edited at 07:32 PM.
Old 17 Jul 17, 08:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I feel for you, I am terrible at awkward situations- you handled the seat situation really well. It looks like Poot had another great day exploring- the aquarium looks amazing, I especially love the blue poison dart frog! We are looking at the Boston city pass as there are a few places we want to visit but I need to look into it further. You did well to stay awake all day 😴 Michelle x
Sparksy72 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List