Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 23 Jul 17, 10:01 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Sparksy72 View Post
That was a very early morning 😬 It's lovely that you were able to check in early! What a win! I do love a nap during the day 😊

For us, McDonald's is desperation food, literally our last choice, not because of anything other than we like to try different things when we are in other countries! This is one of our favourite parts of travelling... new food!

The Museum looked fab, Cooper loved the USS Intrepid Museum in New York, again, it's so cool having a kid, you get to visit some really cool attractions/museums 😊 Poot looked just so happy 😁

Another great day! Michelle xx

"Desperation food"!

Air and Space is the Smithsonian's flagship museum. It is so disappointing that the restaurant is a McDonald's. But on the plus side - it did make R.C. feel smug and superior ("This would NEVER happen in London") - so swings and roundabouts. And Poot did find that quarter...

We're debating the Intrepid - Poot has a list of things he wants to do in NY - and we still have one day "free". I've requested a Big Apple Greeter, so we may be spending our free day with him - but Poot's other "possibles" are the Intrepid and The Natural History Museum.

And I am TOTALLY with you about the awesome places you get to go once you have kids. We went on a fossil walk down on the Jurassic coast this week - and it was AMAZING. Wait 'til you see my excellent finds - I think I'll put them in the TF update.

PS: YES. I love a daytime nap. There is something so decadent about climbing into bed in the afternoon and just giving oneself permission to take a break.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 17, 06:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by GopherLass View Post
"Desperation food"!

Air and Space is the Smithsonian's flagship museum. It is so disappointing that the restaurant is a McDonald's. But on the plus side - it did make R.C. feel smug and superior ("This would NEVER happen in London") - so swings and roundabouts. And Poot did find that quarter...

We're debating the Intrepid - Poot has a list of things he wants to do in NY - and we still have one day "free". I've requested a Big Apple Greeter, so we may be spending our free day with him - but Poot's other "possibles" are the Intrepid and The Natural History Museum.

And I am TOTALLY with you about the awesome places you get to go once you have kids. We went on a fossil walk down on the Jurassic coast this week - and it was AMAZING. Wait 'til you see my excellent finds - I think I'll put them in the TF update.

PS: YES. I love a daytime nap. There is something so decadent about climbing into bed in the afternoon and just giving oneself permission to take a break.
We loved the Natural History Museum - it was amazing! I am trying to convince DH that we need another trip to NY, we had a week there and it was fantastic but there is just so much to see and do.

We had pizza one night at Don Antonio Pizza (it's on 309W 50th St in the Hell's Kitchen area) it made me think of Poot because we had the Pistachio Pesto Pizza! Sooo good and it was very lively and not massively expensive. Ooh and for cheap and delicious pasta we loved Barilla Restaurants, we went to the one near radio city music hall. Cooper and I shared a pasta and a salad, it was the cheapest meal we had in NY

I am looking forward to hearing all about your adventures with TF. I hope his English is coming on quickly Michelle xx
Sparksy72 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 17, 10:24 PM  
Link to this Post

We loved the Natural History Museum - it was amazing! I am trying to convince DH that we need another trip to NY, we had a week there and it was fantastic but there is just so much to see and do.

We had pizza one night at Don Antonio Pizza (it's on 309W 50th St in the Hell's Kitchen area) it made me think of Poot because we had the Pistachio Pesto Pizza! Sooo good and it was very lively and not massively expensive. Ooh and for cheap and delicious pasta we loved Barilla Restaurants, we went to the one near radio city music hall. Cooper and I shared a pasta and a salad, it was the cheapest meal we had in NY

I am looking forward to hearing all about your adventures with TF. I hope his English is coming on quickly Michelle xx

Ah, Michelle - you had me at "cheapest".

I'm going to show this post to Poot once TF goes home. You know how he loves planning meals - especially ones with pesto.

As for TF, I'm afraid not. His English is practically non-existent. He can count to ten, name some colours - and say "I like..." - but that's pretty much it. R.C. has adopted the sink or swim approach, but that just means that TF looks at him blankly, and then comes to either Poot or me for a translation. In some ways I think he would have been better off in a house where nobody speaks French.

He is VERY good at fencing, though.
Old 25 Jul 17, 01:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Ah, Michelle - you had me at "cheapest".

I'm going to show this post to Poot once TF goes home. You know how he loves planning meals - especially ones with pesto.

As for TF, I'm afraid not. His English is practically non-existent. He can count to ten, name some colours - and say "I like..." - but that's pretty much it. R.C. has adopted the sink or swim approach, but that just means that TF looks at him blankly, and then comes to either Poot or me for a translation. In some ways I think he would have been better off in a house where nobody speaks French.

He is VERY good at fencing, though.
We love a good pesto dish in our house, this was the first time I had ever seen pistachio pesto on a menu, there was no way I wasn't trying it Poot obviously has great taste!

My heart hurts for poor TF, sounds like his English is as good as my French He may find it easier once he gets to school and everything is written, I can read more in French than I can speak. Poot might be able to make him some flash cards and stick them around the house on the appropriate objects, make a game of it perhaps? I really don't like to judge other parents but it feels like she threw him in the deep end with weights around his ankles At least he has this lovely time with you before school starts xx
Sparksy72 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 17, 10:17 PM  
Link to this Post

We love a good pesto dish in our house, this was the first time I had ever seen pistachio pesto on a menu, there was no way I wasn't trying it Poot obviously has great taste!

My heart hurts for poor TF, sounds like his English is as good as my French He may find it easier once he gets to school and everything is written, I can read more in French than I can speak. Poot might be able to make him some flash cards and stick them around the house on the appropriate objects, make a game of it perhaps? I really don't like to judge other parents but it feels like she threw him in the deep end with weights around his ankles At least he has this lovely time with you before school starts xx
I'll pass on your kind words to Poot. He made lunch for TF and I today - a salad of his own devising he calls "The Emperor". He has a heavy hand with the pepper, I fear - but any meal I don't have to make is a good one.

And thanks for the advice - I hadn't thought of the labels for things. I've just been saying everything twice (first in English and then in French). Poot has adopted the "you'll understand me if I speak LOUDER" technique - and R.C. is sticking with sink or swim (sink, so far).

The lads are sleeping now, but I do worry that TF isn't having a lovely time at all. My neighbour (per usual) has been a superstar and has let the lads "help" him with his menagerie (including a new puppy) - and tomorrow he's going to help THEM build a platform in one of our trees (we have a little spinney at the bottom of our garden).

I get the feeling that back in Paris, TF's family either has paid help or no expectations of him doing anything around the house. And I've yet to hear a thank you. Ah, well - less than a week to go now!
Old 26 Jul 17, 08:34 AM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
I'll pass on your kind words to Poot. He made lunch for TF and I today - a salad of his own devising he calls "The Emperor". He has a heavy hand with the pepper, I fear - but any meal I don't have to make is a good one.

And thanks for the advice - I hadn't thought of the labels for things. I've just been saying everything twice (first in English and then in French). Poot has adopted the "you'll understand me if I speak LOUDER" technique - and R.C. is sticking with sink or swim (sink, so far).

The lads are sleeping now, but I do worry that TF isn't having a lovely time at all. My neighbour (per usual) has been a superstar and has let the lads "help" him with his menagerie (including a new puppy) - and tomorrow he's going to help THEM build a platform in one of our trees (we have a little spinney at the bottom of our garden).

I get the feeling that back in Paris, TF's family either has paid help or no expectations of him doing anything around the house. And I've yet to hear a thank you. Ah, well - less than a week to go now!
Poot is a man after my own heart - I love pepper apparently you can tell the 'pepper' lovers by the state of their liver. It leaves little specs behind

Keeping boys physically busy is always a good idea, especially if you can add in a puppy! What's not to love? Building a platform sounds amazing, just think of all the nails and hammering, perhaps even a saw! Kid heaven

It sounds like you have passed the halfway mark and are now on the home stretch- hang in there. Just think of your cruise and your amazing upcoming holiday
Old 26 Jul 17, 09:48 AM  
Link to this Post

Poot is a man after my own heart - I love pepper apparently you can tell the 'pepper' lovers by the state of their liver. It leaves little specs behind

Keeping boys physically busy is always a good idea, especially if you can add in a puppy! What's not to love? Building a platform sounds amazing, just think of all the nails and hammering, perhaps even a saw! Kid heaven

It sounds like you have passed the halfway mark and are now on the home stretch- hang in there. Just think of your cruise and your amazing upcoming holiday

That's remarkable - and also a little bit yucky! So I will DEFINITELY be telling Poot.

And YES - my neighbour has the lads with him now picking out the wood. Is it evil of me to hope that this is an all-day project? I thought if they could build a secure platform then we could make a sort of "ropes course" between some of our trees. How grateful am I right now that we have a bit of land?

I always thought that Poot was a really active little chap (and he is) - but TF is in a league of his own - he is clearly one of those people who ALWAYS has to be "in action". That is probably why he eats more than any person (child or adult) I've ever seen.

Many thanks for the good wishes - they are much appreciated.
Old 26 Jul 17, 04:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
That's remarkable - and also a little bit yucky! So I will DEFINITELY be telling Poot.

And YES - my neighbour has the lads with him now picking out the wood. Is it evil of me to hope that this is an all-day project? I thought if they could build a secure platform then we could make a sort of "ropes course" between some of our trees. How grateful am I right now that we have a bit of land?

I always thought that Poot was a really active little chap (and he is) - but TF is in a league of his own - he is clearly one of those people who ALWAYS has to be "in action". That is probably why he eats more than any person (child or adult) I've ever seen.

Many thanks for the good wishes - they are much appreciated.
Sorry my level of 'gross' tolerance is definitely higher than it was 10years ago boys hey!

Wow, a real outdoor obstacle course, that sounds amazing. The best bit is, once the boys have built it, it will be yours forever! It must be very flattering to have TF be so very appreciative of the food you are preparing for him. It may well be that he gets beige food at home and is making the most of your cooking before heading off to boarding school
Old 26 Jul 17, 09:47 PM  
Link to this Post

Sorry my level of 'gross' tolerance is definitely higher than it was 10years ago boys hey!

Wow, a real outdoor obstacle course, that sounds amazing. The best bit is, once the boys have built it, it will be yours forever! It must be very flattering to have TF be so very appreciative of the food you are preparing for him. It may well be that he gets beige food at home and is making the most of your cooking before heading off to boarding school
No need to apologise to the cockroach woman! And Poot DID think having a "peppery liver" was cool.

I'm not sure it turned out quite as well as the words "outdoor obstacle course" make our little project sound () - but the lads seemed to enjoy scrambling and dangling from the ropes. They both fell, but no tears were shed.

TF's mother made a point of telling me that she doesn't cook (a Frenchwoman who won't cook?! Sacrebleu!) - so I think the home-cooked food is a special treat for TF. He and Poot requested sausages and mash () today - so I made that. I won't say I ever *enjoy* cooking (because I am too lazy to really enjoy ANY housework) - but it is nice to see one's efforts gobbled up with such enthusiasm. A merci wouldn't go amiss, though. Hmm...

...hehe...I still like that "beige food", I do...
Old 11 Aug 17, 02:37 PM  
Link to this Post
SEAWORLD FAN
slightly serious Dibber

That was an early start today but you've made it to Washington DC! Whoo hoo. I'm really looking forward to reading the next few days and I've taken a cheeky glimpse at the titles and see that there are pandas tomorrow. I LOVE pandas. Hoping to get a trip to Edinburgh before the year is out to see the ones they have on loan. Today first though ...

Finally, a meteorite! I was beginning to think that you had just teased me a couple of days ago with talk of meteorites! Now the holiday really has begun! Seriously though, today was an interesting read. I'm particularly pleased that you talk about costs etc as it's always useful to know the finer details for planning so I've jotted down a few bits. When we were in New York last year I was surprised at how much more expensive it was than Orlando. I should probably have expected it being the Big Apple and all but I had been thinking that it's America, it's cheaper than Ireland instead of it's a big city and it's going to cost a small fortune. Bit of a fail on the budget.

What a palaver at tea time. I'm always flabbergasted at how people react to free stuff. If you had to pay for something you would only buy want you needed but if it's free some folk grab and stash like rationing has been re-introduced. I just don't get it.
SEAWORLD FAN is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List