Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 25 Sep 21, 10:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Princesa
Imagineer

I’ve worked with children who have needed to be walked out to the car by staff every day, so I think you could ask for this in the odd occasion or to pick them up early. If the disabled parking is in an area where the school doesn’t want people to park, they really need to sort that out.
Princesa is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 21, 10:53 AM  
Link to this Post
meboo
Imagineer

Mobile

When I was in a school we would walk a child out to a parent with a disability but we did shut the car park, even to staff because of the danger to children. The problem with covid is that a lot of schools are creating different routes in and out of the building rather than one huge collection point. I would ask for a meeting and be willing to offer a number of potential solutions. As a staff member 10 minutes later pick up would be easier than earlier as it is already like trying to herd cats when your trying to get 30 5 year olds ready for home time ! We would need a separate member of staff to walk them to the exit. Would another option be to drive closer 10 minutes after school ends (when the worst of the traffic ends) so either you could pop in or a staff member could pop out ?
meboo is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 21, 10:56 AM  
Link to this Post
meboo
Imagineer

Mobile

Oh - I have just seen the two excellent posts that suggest a friend of mum’s could walk to your car. Now with my school mum hat on, we often helped each other out like this for eg if someone was running late.
meboo is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 21, 11:29 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by meboo View Post
Oh - I have just seen the two excellent posts that suggest a friend of mum’s could walk to your car. Now with my school mum hat on, we often helped each other out like this for eg if someone was running late.
This was my first thought , the Mum community is usually more than helpful when it comes to stepping up at primary schools with small stuff like this that makes a huge difference.
When I was in a tough spot (Mum was felled by a brain aneurism and it was touch and go for several weeks) the Mums were brilliant . Oddly enough it was the working Mums rather than the stay at home Mums who tended to offer first, maybe because they knew what it was like to juggle more .
Finding a Mum willing to walk your grandson to the car should be very easy . Just make sure the school know about the arrangement.

Edited at 11:33 AM.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 21, 12:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Ice Queen Elsa
Looking for my Ears

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and taking time to reply.

We had previously tried the "after school" approach before but this wasn't considered suitable by the school.

Whilst they do have some after school clubs, children have to be signed up for these clubs and due to her age she wouldn't be able to, say, sign up for football club so the person taking the club could hold her back for ten minutes or so. Often they have out of school sports coaches/teachers coming into the school to hold these clubs.

I'm not sure whether the school would allow one of the other parents to take our grandchild out of school/pick up. We were once told we couldn't collect our older grandchild from the same school for a hospital appointment, in spite of the fact that it's a village school, in the village where I grew up and two members of staff were my neighbours. I think the member of staff was just being awkward to be honest. I've received several phone calls in the past (more than one occasion) asking me to collect my niece from the school when her parents couldn't be contacted and I wasn't on an official contacts list, they just knew me and had my number because some of the members of staff know me and it was more convenient to them on that occasion to have me collect her than have a sick child in school. Not that I minded in the slightest, better to be cared for at home if ill, than in school, but my point is, if they objected to us collecting my grandchild for a hospital appointment as we weren't the parent, they may not allow another child's parent to take them home, if you get my drift?

There aren't actually many villagers in my grandchild's class attend the school, so another problem with another parent collecting my grandchild would be having a spare car seat in the car.

We've previously tried to liaise with the school to try and find suitable to solutions to particular difficulties but their approach seems to differ to many of the other schools we've dealt with previously.

For me, it would be easier not to approach school when it's so busy. My eyesight is very compromised but finding a solution doesn't seem so easy.

Thank you all.
Ice Queen Elsa is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 21, 03:14 PM  
Link to this Post
fissycist
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by Ice Queen Elsa View Post
Thank you everyone for your suggestions and taking time to reply.

We had previously tried the "after school" approach before but this wasn't considered suitable by the school.

Whilst they do have some after school clubs, children have to be signed up for these clubs and due to her age she wouldn't be able to, say, sign up for football club so the person taking the club could hold her back for ten minutes or so. Often they have out of school sports coaches/teachers coming into the school to hold these clubs.

I'm not sure whether the school would allow one of the other parents to take our grandchild out of school/pick up. We were once told we couldn't collect our older grandchild from the same school for a hospital appointment, in spite of the fact that it's a village school, in the village where I grew up and two members of staff were my neighbours. I think the member of staff was just being awkward to be honest. I've received several phone calls in the past (more than one occasion) asking me to collect my niece from the school when her parents couldn't be contacted and I wasn't on an official contacts list, they just knew me and had my number because some of the members of staff know me and it was more convenient to them on that occasion to have me collect her than have a sick child in school. Not that I minded in the slightest, better to be cared for at home if ill, than in school, but my point is, if they objected to us collecting my grandchild for a hospital appointment as we weren't the parent, they may not allow another child's parent to take them home, if you get my drift?

There aren't actually many villagers in my grandchild's class attend the school, so another problem with another parent collecting my grandchild would be having a spare car seat in the car.

We've previously tried to liaise with the school to try and find suitable to solutions to particular difficulties but their approach seems to differ to many of the other schools we've dealt with previously.

For me, it would be easier not to approach school when it's so busy. My eyesight is very compromised but finding a solution doesn't seem so easy.

Thank you all.
I think the after school club the other posters were suggesting is the after school childcare some schools offer for a cost rather than ‘clubs’ as such. Long time ago but this is what I used as a stopgap between school ending and my in-laws being able to drive in to pick DDs up.
I agree that the school is probably being additionally careful because your granddaughter is so young. The arrangement for other parents to briefly look after a friends child until they were able to get to school if running a bit late didn’t kick in until about year 3 and above ( juniors).
For the older age group they were released as a whole class rather than being ‘given’ to a known contact as done for a younger child.
Frustrating for you but I can remember having to write a letter everytime I needed someone other than the standard person picking up even when that person was on the allowed contact list.
fissycist is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 21, 06:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

I do hope you can get something sorted 💗
Maybe email the school and ask that on the odd day you will be collecting can they put something in place, maybe keep the children back for ten mins?
I think that collecting them ten minutes early will be just as difficult because most parents are already there by then.
Maybe a staff member could bring them to you? Asking another parent to bring them to your car could be problematic if that parent or child is late, sick etc plus a certain parking spot is not always guaranteed.
School run times are chaotic at the moment at our school, its every man for himself 😣
We have a blue badge for Mason but every disabled spot is taken, every single yellow line and double for that matter. Its like the wacky races.
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 21, 07:44 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
If you had a specific arrangement with a particular parent then that could be put in place with the office. They shouldn’t send a child out with a non approved person, but if it’s in their records that your grandchild is to walk out of school with parent A then I can’t see how that would be an issue.

Car seats wouldn’t be a problem if they are just walking them to your car ?
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 21, 09:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Looby123
Getting Excited

I think that's a very reasonable request given your circumstances
Looby123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 21, 09:34 PM  
Link to this Post
51-a- good year
Apprentice Imagineer

it is an absolute disgrace that councils which put draconian planning restrictions on shops etc (our local Fish & chip shop was originally refused planning because they only had 5 parking spaces) yet when it comes to schools esp primary where up to 100 parents collect at 3 they dont plan at all

Most schools (esp in the current climate) try very hard to help anyone with infection problems The other options are to find a classmate that walks that way to bring your GC to your car.
Or contact the PTA chair to see if they know a helpful parent

Edited at 09:36 PM.
51-a- good year is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List