Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 7 Oct 21, 08:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Pumba75
Imagineer

Pumba75's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 23
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Electric Car - Home charging

Hi all,

Apologies, I know this has been asked before.

My new car is electric and arrives next week (BMW IX3). Trying to sort out the wall box and just wondered which ones the EV owners on here use and would recommend.

Realise it will take a few weeks to get fitted but have no long journeys in that time and have an Electric Forecourt 10 mins away so can cope for a short time with a combination of visits there and using a 3 pin.

Thanks all.
Pumba75 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Oct 21, 09:11 AM  
Link to this Post
kateb78
VIP Dibber

We have a zappi and it was installed by a local company. The wait with the companies directly are much longer so might be worth checking if there’s a local installer near you?

We chose zappi because it’s compatible with solar panels and it can be controlled via an app.

As a side note, we also swapped to Octopus Energy for 4 hours of super cheap charging.

Edited at 11:27 AM.
kateb78 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Oct 21, 09:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Andy C
Imagineer

Would reiterate kateb78's suggestion of Octopus Energy.
They also have versions of up to 5 hours charging for a very slightly increased tariff.

(And as she got in before me, she deserves the link/credit )
Andy C is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Oct 21, 09:27 AM  
Link to this Post
Pumba75
Imagineer

Pumba75's Reviews
Originally Posted by kateb78 View Post
We have a zappi and it was installed by a local company. The wait with the companies directly are much longer so might be worth checking if there’s a local installer near you?

We chose zappi because it’s compatible with solar panels and it can be controlled via an app.

As a side note, we also swapped to Octopus Energy for 4 hours of super cheap charging.
Thanks for this - yep, I’ve been looking at a couple of local suppliers.

Thanks for the tip re the energy tariff. I’m still looking into it all at the moment and a little reticent to change energy suppliers given the current situation but I’ll definitely let you know if I am going to do it 👍

Edited at 11:29 AM.
Pumba75 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Oct 21, 09:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Pumba. Nice car, good choice.

No idea on your question sorry but was there a long waiting list for this Model? Is it made in S.Africa like the other X3 Models?

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Oct 21, 10:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Pumba75
Imagineer

Pumba75's Reviews
Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Pumba. Nice car, good choice.

No idea on your question sorry but was there a long waiting list for this Model? Is it made in S.Africa like the other X3 Models?
Yep, I’m looking forward to it arriving Tom (and finally getting shot of the Evoque which has been a money pit in the last 12 months!)

I ordered it back in April and was told at the time it would probably be a 6 month wait.

Made in China apparently.
Old 7 Oct 21, 10:36 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by Pumba75 View Post
Yep, I’m looking forward to it arriving Tom (and finally getting shot of the Evoque which has been a money pit in the last 12 months!)

I ordered it back in April and was told at the time it would probably be a 6 month wait.

Made in China apparently.
Ahh, China makes sense as it's different technology. Mine is not electric and it's a circa 4 Month wait. However Sytner have already fixed my trade in price no matter what mileage I do or how long the new car takes to arrive.

Enjoy the Car. Fast!

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Oct 21, 11:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Moz
Imagineer

Moz's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Not sure whereabout in the country you are, but look to see if you are eligible for any grant to get the wallbox put in

I had a Rolec unit installed around 6-7 years ago and got full funding, actual 100% refund
Cost £595 back then and Energy Trust Scotland paid me back in full
Not sure that's still the case but you should be entitled to something off.

Also check if your local council have free charging, here in West Lothian we do...but travel to East Lothian or Fife and they charge for public charging... so worth checking local councils where you will travel.

Download the Zap Map app as well... tells you where all the chargers are and chat from people who have visited recently to inform you of any issues etc

Nice car...enjoy it
I'm loving the EV driving now in the Tesla...
Moz is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Oct 21, 11:15 AM  
Link to this Post
Pumba75
Imagineer

Pumba75's Reviews
Originally Posted by Moz View Post
Not sure whereabout in the country you are, but look to see if you are eligible for any grant to get the wallbox put in

I had a Rolec unit installed around 6-7 years ago and got full funding, actual 100% refund
Cost £595 back then and Energy Trust Scotland paid me back in full
Not sure that's still the case but you should be entitled to something off.

Also check if your local council have free charging, here in West Lothian we do...but travel to East Lothian or Fife and they charge for public charging... so worth checking local councils where you will travel.

Download the Zap Map app as well... tells you where all the chargers are and chat from people who have visited recently to inform you of any issues etc

Nice car...enjoy it
I'm loving the EV driving now in the Tesla...
Thanks for this, we’re in Essex - from what I can see I should be eligible for the government grant.

I’m also only 5 mins from the BMW dealer so I can hopefully avail myself of their charger from time to time 😂

Had seen Zap Map, so will get that downloaded.
Old 7 Oct 21, 11:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Lizzim
Imagineer

Lizzim's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
We have a Project EV charger - our neighbour is an electrician and installed it for us. It was a similar price to those you can get with the grant.

In addition to zap map I would recommend the instavolt app - we have found their chargers to be well maintained unlike some.
Lizzim is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List