Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 20 May 21, 10:21 AM  
Link to this Post
FloridaAnn & Co
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Ladyshopper View Post
Yes, we're going on the Virtuosa. She starts sailing today for the first time, I'm so excited to hear all about it. 8 days to go for us!

Not sure about trip report, I've never done one before but might give it a go.

I don't suppose anyone you're going to is entitled to a blue light card (works in emergency services, healthcare, military etc)? Some fantastic prices available if you are.

However, I've also seen that P&O are offering some nice amounts of onboard credit for all bookings (although sadly not to blue light card) so that will be good for everyone. Guess they're not selling quite as well as they hoped (I think it's just a case of so many cruise lines jumping onboard these staycation cruises that there are too many, so everyone is reducing prices/coming up with offers).
Wow that’s great! 🛳 Really not long for you! Are you all organised?! I for one would love to read your trip report 😀 but maybe do a photo one ?
Nope neither of us are entitled to a blue light card discount but thanks for the info..
P&O are offering £60 per person onboard cabin credit so that’s good😀 can that be used towards the drinks package do you know? Do you know if it’s better to book direct or go thru a TA?
Have a great time !
Old 20 May 21, 10:31 AM  
Link to this Post
pinkbelle
Imagineer

I’ve never done a trip report before. For the Iona sailing, which is 7 days at sea, I’ve joined a Group.
For all the Iona Seacations you could volunteer to document a day, pictures of food drink, staterooms etc. Which will be fun. I will have to be creative as a lot of cruisers will have posted before it’s my turn.

I’m an annoying packer, I like things done my way, I watched Emma cruises packing vlog, that is not me! :lol: I can’t just throw a few things in a case, I’m organised down to the last inch of space. My DH has now learnt not to moan, as it makes his life easier 🤣 I’m a fully unpack can’t live out of my suitcase type person.
I rotate clothing, so for 4 nights will take almost as much as I take for 7 nights, but as no ports will leave the coat and umbrellas at home.

As Ladyshopper said if you can get a BLC savings are great, she saved me a lot of money, enough to add our 7 night cruise for free!

4 nights will be great, personally I’d not considered 3 nights, but Princess have reduced a 3 night cruise at beginning of September if those dates work for you. £389pp for a balcony including gratuities (already included on P&O) WiFi and drinks package.

Edited at 10:58 AM.
pinkbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 21, 11:31 AM  
Link to this Post
Ladyshopper
Imagineer

Originally Posted by FloridaAnn & Co View Post
Wow that’s great! 🛳 Really not long for you! Are you all organised?! I for one would love to read your trip report 😀 but maybe do a photo one ?
Nope neither of us are entitled to a blue light card discount but thanks for the info..
P&O are offering £60 per person onboard cabin credit so that’s good😀 can that be used towards the drinks package do you know? Do you know if it’s better to book direct or go thru a TA?
Have a great time !
I'm half ready! Have a cabin sized suitcase packed, as I have a lot of medical equipment I need to take onboard as carry on. Got a fair idea of what I'm going to pack clothes wise, but as always it will be way too much (I like to pack for every eventuality!).

I think the onboard credit for P&O can be used towards anything. I've always read that the drinks packages aren't great value on P&O, so make sure you do your research if you're considering one. The drinks look to be pretty reasonable onboard, I had a google ready for our trip in July. Also, you can take on a litre of wine or spirits when you board, which I'm sure we'll be doing to keep the bill down a bit!
Ladyshopper is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 21, 12:06 PM  
Link to this Post
FloridaAnn & Co
Imagineer

Originally Posted by pinkbelle View Post
I’ve never done a trip report before. For the Iona sailing, which is 7 days at sea, I’ve joined a Group.
For all the Iona Seacations you could volunteer to document a day, pictures of food drink, staterooms etc. Which will be fun. I will have to be creative as a lot of cruisers will have posted before it’s my turn.

I’m an annoying packer, I like things done my way, I watched Emma cruises packing vlog, that is not me! :lol: I can’t just throw a few things in a case, I’m organised down to the last inch of space. My DH has now learnt not to moan, as it makes his life easier 🤣 I’m a fully unpack can’t live out of my suitcase type person.
I rotate clothing, so for 4 nights will take almost as much as I take for 7 nights, but as no ports will leave the coat and umbrellas at home.

As Ladyshopper said if you can get a BLC savings are great, she saved me a lot of money, enough to add our 7 night cruise for free!

4 nights will be great, personally I’d not considered 3 nights, but Princess have reduced a 3 night cruise at beginning of September if those dates work for you. £389pp for a balcony including gratuities (already included on P&O) WiFi and drinks package.
Wasn’t really considering 3 nights but am rushing off to check out Princess cruises, seems like a v good deal! Thanks very much 😀 In your opinion isn’t it worth going for 3 nights? We aren’t tied to any particular time really so could be good for us 😀
That does sound like fun documenting a day!
Don’t think I’m a packer like Emma cruises either lol I’m am definitely an over packer tho - just in case! No coat? What are your top tips on what to take? I have found packing cubes which I think are great. I’m thinking you have to hang everything tho as no irons! Are you a last min packer or put things in as you go along?

Wow great help from Ladyshopper! So lovely how people share their tips for money saving etc 😀

Edited at 10:58 AM.
FloridaAnn & Co is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 21, 12:10 PM  
Link to this Post
pinkbelle
Imagineer

Drinks on P&O are relatively cheap, pub prices, much cheaper than American lines which then also add a gratuity. A decent bottle of wine in the restaurant was £20 about £4 more than the supermarket at home. Comparable bottle on Princess just shy of $60!
P&O drinks package is £39.95 per day but not available on short sailings.

I always book direct, it just suits me better. If you book through an agent, and many people do, all queries need to be directed through that agent. I would short list your cruises and get the P&O price, then do a search on some of the bigger online agencies and see how their prices compare.

Sorry you have to take medical equipment with you Ladyshopper, but glad to hear you are my kind of packer
pinkbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 21, 12:15 PM  
Link to this Post
FloridaAnn & Co
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Ladyshopper View Post
I'm half ready! Have a cabin sized suitcase packed, as I have a lot of medical equipment I need to take onboard as carry on. Got a fair idea of what I'm going to pack clothes wise, but as always it will be way too much (I like to pack for every eventuality!).

I think the onboard credit for P&O can be used towards anything. I've always read that the drinks packages aren't great value on P&O, so make sure you do your research if you're considering one. The drinks look to be pretty reasonable onboard, I had a google ready for our trip in July. Also, you can take on a litre of wine or spirits when you board, which I'm sure we'll be doing to keep the bill down a bit!
Hadn’t thought about bag size! Is it specific for carry on and check in like airlines? Definitely like to pack for every eventuality too lol ...am definitely an over packer as well as an over thinker ...
Will check out in detail drinks package value ! Thanks . Didn’t realise that you could take alcohol on with you ! 🛳🥂
Old 20 May 21, 12:18 PM  
Link to this Post
FloridaAnn & Co
Imagineer

Originally Posted by pinkbelle View Post
Drinks on P&O are relatively cheap, pub prices, much cheaper than American lines which then also add a gratuity. A decent bottle of wine in the restaurant was £20 about £4 more than the supermarket at home. Comparable bottle on Princess just shy of $60!
P&O drinks package is £39.95 per day but not available on short sailings.

I always book direct, it just suits me better. If you book through an agent, and many people do, all queries need to be directed through that agent. I would short list your cruises and get the P&O price, then do a search on some of the bigger online agencies and see how their prices compare.

Sorry you have to take medical equipment with you Ladyshopper, but glad to hear you are my kind of packer
Thanks pinkbelle that’s a great help 😀
Old 20 May 21, 12:38 PM  
Link to this Post
pinkbelle
Imagineer

Originally Posted by FloridaAnn & Co View Post
Wasn’t really considering 3 nights but am rushing off to check out Princess cruises, seems like a v good deal! Thanks very much 😀 In your opinion isn’t it worth going for 3 nights? We aren’t tied to any particular time really so could be good for us 😀
That does sound like fun documenting a day!
Don’t think I’m a packer like Emma cruises either lol I’m am definitely an over packer tho - just in case! No coat? What are your top tips on what to take? I have found packing cubes which I think are great. I’m thinking you have to hang everything tho as no irons! Are you a last min packer or put things in as you go along?

Wow great help from Ladyshopper! So lovely how people share their tips for money saving etc 😀
P&O has free to use Laundry rooms, washers and dryers and irons and ironing boards, although during restrictions wouldn’t like to say they will be open. They also have a pay for laundry service, but again not sure how that works on a shorter cruise, there is usually a next day service.
Princess also have the same laundry facilities but there is a charge to use washers and driers.

No coat, as if it rains I will be staying under cover. I have an M&S zip up fleece which is termed my “cruise fleece” as that’s the only time I use it, a handy extra layer for late night, early morning on the balcony.

Layers are key, it can be chilly in the air con, and hot in the sun, is that wishful thinking?

I share your love of packing cubes, a real game changer, do you pack complete outfits or the same thing in each?
If we are doing a precruise hotel stay I pack each of us an outfit in a cube so we don’t touch the rest of the case.
For the ship I do each of our underwear, swim wear, night clothes in their own cubes so they can just be placed in a drawer.

I wouldn’t do a 2 night cruise, it’s just too short.
3 nights,
Day 1 on board by 4pm, so the whole evening.
Day 2 full day
Day 3 full day, but your thoughts do start to think about packing.
Day 4 off before 9:30am.
So enjoyable.

4 nights might just make you relax a little more.

Packing this time will be difficult I’ve gained a fair bit of weight so nothing fits!
My plan will be to try and do carry on only.

So I will embark in an outfit I also intend to disembark in.
Change for dinner into a slightly smarter than a day at home summer dress, that I can bling up a bit. Day 2 the dress from night before becomes day wear without the bling.
So technically as well as what I am wearing only need 3 outfits plus formal wear. All packed on hangers in a rolling suit carrier. Then an additional warm outfit, in a holdall with packing cubes just in case. That is my plan, it may or may not work.

I enjoy the anticipation so have a clothes rail in the spare room a week before sailing to start gathering everything together then pack it the day before.
Old 20 May 21, 12:50 PM  
Link to this Post
pinkbelle
Imagineer

Luggage size, each bag less than 20kg but no restriction on number. Anything you carry on small enough to go through those scanners like you see at airports.

Cruising from Southampton is so easy, although you need to factor in parking costs, I am using CPS the on-site parking company £60 for 4 nights.

Based on a 7 night experience, follow the directions as marshalled by CPS/Port staff, pull up at the terminal, and unload your luggage, where it will be whisked off by porters, keep hold of hand luggage and passports etc. You won’t see it again until it is in your room.
CPS check over your car give you a receipt for your tickets and drive your car away to park in a secure area on the port.
You then just walk into the terminal to check in.

When you disembark you walk to the CPS booth give over the receipt and they give you your car key and tell you where it is parked. They bring them to the terminal ready for you.

On a 2 night you self park, so are directed to the short term parking, keep your key with you, then walk back to the terminal, most people will have carry on only, but there are porters who will take your luggage.

I’m not sure how it will work for 4 nights as it will depend on what over ships are arriving and departing on the days you are away.
Walk into the terminal check in and wait for boarding.
Old 20 May 21, 02:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Rossalino
Apprentice Imagineer

We've booked the 3 night cruise with P&O Britannia from Southampton departing 15th July

As we had a Blue Light Card we decided to go for a suite which only cost £847 for 3 of us for the 3 nights.

We have some other friends going but as they didn't get the discount they went for the inside cabin as they didn't want to pay nearly another £400 for a balcony.

We've only ever done one cruise before and that was a 3 night Disney one about 12 years ago so it'll be interesting to see what we think of it.

We also booked the onsite parking for £50 which sounds like it's nice and convenient.

Really looking forward to it as it'll be something different for us
Rossalino is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List