Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 6 Aug 21, 03:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

TV subscription woes

DH took DS15 into get his phone contract renewed and whilst there the guy managed to persuade DH to switch from Sky to BT for everything which I was dubious about as I hate switching anything.

The guy in the shop reassured him that everything we had with sky, we’d get with BT and it all works the same.

Well, it’s arrived today and the internet is up and running - so far so good.

But … I hate the tv! For a start, you need an aerial. Well our aerial is as old as the house. I’m exaggerating because the house was built in 1860 but it might as well be as old as the house because it’s rubbish.

Then, because we don’t have a smart tv (my 2007 trusty Samsung is still going strong), I can’t watch Disney + and there’s no YouTube app either.

Finally, the second box needs an aerial and we don’t have one of them either.

Oh and if I’m being really picky - there’s no voice control.

I’m cross with DH for listening to the salesman and cross with myself for listening to DH.

What do I do now? Ring BT up and send it all back? Ring Sky up and cry and hope they’ll offer me a better deal?

Edited to add: I apologise for the very whiny post. I barely even watch TV.😅
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 21, 04:24 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

There will be a cooling off period so yes if it doesn’t do what you want it to, cancel.
You can cancel for any reason (or no reason) within the cooling off period.
Yes ring Sky , we erm I mean they will give you a new deal ( this happens quite often )

Edited at 04:26 PM.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 21, 04:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Lizzim
Imagineer

Lizzim's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I totally get the moan - we switched to BT for tv a while back, we stuck it out for our year cos the offer with Sky at the time was rubbish but the whole aerial situation was the reason we switched back to Sky.

We did keep the BT broadband as we find it more stable.
Lizzim is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 21, 04:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Well I rang sky and apparently I was never a broadband customer (I was) and my tv is still active. 😖😖😖😖

He’s given me another number to ring. So I’m on hold.👍🏻
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 21, 04:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Lizzim View Post
I totally get the moan - we switched to BT for tv a while back, we stuck it out for our year cos the offer with Sky at the time was rubbish but the whole aerial situation was the reason we switched back to Sky.

We did keep the BT broadband as we find it more stable.
Was thinking of doing the same but worried it would work out dearer than what I was paying originally.
Old 6 Aug 21, 04:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Lizzim
Imagineer

Lizzim's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Rac20 View Post
Was thinking of doing the same but worried it would work out dearer than what I was paying originally.
I suspect ours is slightly more expensive this way but I’m willing to pay that to get what I want….
Lizzim is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 21, 04:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Endeavour
VIP Dibber

Re the lack of Disney+, we had similar issue re not getting it through TV which we resolved by getting Amazon Fire stick - would your TV be compatible with that?
Endeavour is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 21, 05:03 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
We’ve just switched from sky to virgin and are also having second thoughts. We already have a fire stick so can watch Disney + but it’s less convenient.

I had looked at BT tv but it offers quite a lot less than Sky.

Hopefully you can take advantage of the cooling off period.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 21, 05:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Quick update:

Spoke to a lovely lady at Sky. She confirmed that the TV had never been cancelled. Which is a relief which means I can plug it all back in. As I’m out of contract she tried looking for a better offer but the price came in at £5 more than what I’m paying now which she couldn’t understand. Turns out that for some reason I don’t pay for sky cinema. So I’m staying out of contract for now which just keeps everything as it is tv wise and I continue to get my free sky cinema even though neither she or me know why.

Broadband, I’ve decided to stick with BT as that has already been cancelled with sky and I might be able to live without tv but I need the internet for work.

Just need to ring BT back tomorrow and tell them to cancel the tv part.

Thanks all.👍🏻
Old 6 Aug 21, 05:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Endeavour View Post
Re the lack of Disney+, we had similar issue re not getting it through TV which we resolved by getting Amazon Fire stick - would your TV be compatible with that?
That was going to be our solution until we realised that we couldn’t get the second tv box to work at all due to the aerial issue.

Out of curiosity, do people still have aerials in every room? Today, I remembered why we got sky in the first place. Because, we live in a valley and the aerial doesn’t pick up the tv signal very well. It was like going back in time to the early 90s. 😅