Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 7 Sep 21, 11:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Annie17
Very Serious Dibber

just a little rant

i am a manager of a restaurant in the middle of birmingham and the lack of people willing to work is so stressful at the moment

i have set up at least 20 interviews in the last 2 weeks and only 3 people have turned up

the christmas german markets have just been announced and we need to get people in and trained

Wdw 2013,2016,2018,2019

Engaged 04/09/18 in Magic Kingdom.
Annie17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 21, 12:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Nightmare for you but you are not alone, it’s nationwide. My friend has a few restaurants in the north and it’s just as bad up here. He explained the combination of factors that are causing it.
Hope things improve quickly for you
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 21, 12:41 PM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

It is very stressful at the moment for employers to find staff and it is a jobseekers market which also is seeing some employers take advantage:

My sister recently went for two interviews the first one she was told 'oh sorry we gave the job to someone else yesterday, and forgot to tell the other applicants'

The second one from a restaurant where he said he always keeps the first weeks wages in case they don't come back , so work for free for a week!

Someone else I know has been working in retail wearing their own clothes for 3 months as the employer hasn't got time to provide company workwear .

Whilst I am not suggesting any of these things for the OP as an employer it is also demoralizing for the applicants.
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 21, 12:44 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

I think that many people have had a major rethink about jobs, effort against financial reward, whether they can survive without working at all etc.

It may be the case that employers will have to raise wage levels to a figure that will result in attracting applicants. It will then of course have to be passed on to the customer in the form of increased prices.
Supply and demand is as relevant to employment as anything else!

It is an unfortunate fact that nobody can be forced into employment. I say that as a person who has been continuously employed for the 45 years since leaving school. I have toiled whilst aware of others who have comfortable lifestyles and yet not be in employment for decades. Perhaps they are wiser than I !

Edited at 12:46 PM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 21, 12:55 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Furlough has made many employees reevaluate their worth and work/life balance. The employers who take that on board and react will be the ones who get the staff.
It’s probably not a bad thing , there are far too many poor employers .

Originally Posted by snowbelle View Post
It is very stressful at the moment for employers to find staff and it is a jobseekers market which also is seeing some employers take advantage:

My sister recently went for two interviews the first one she was told 'oh sorry we gave the job to someone else yesterday, and forgot to tell the other applicants'

The second one from a restaurant where he said he always keeps the first weeks wages in case they don't come back , so work for free for a week!

Someone else I know has been working in retail wearing their own clothes for 3 months as the employer hasn't got time to provide company workwear .

Whilst I am not suggesting any of these things for the OP as an employer it is also demoralizing for the applicants.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 21, 01:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Anne
VIP Dibber

There is a national shortage of care staff as well. It's horrendous.
Anne is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 21, 01:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Emmie2016
Imagineer

We have struggled to fill vacancies and our pay is quite good. Its an entry position aswell.

But people don't want to do office work.
Old 7 Sep 21, 01:23 PM  
Link to this Post
MinniMouse
VIP Dibber

MinniMouse's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by snowbelle View Post

More likely first weeks wages will be at the end of the second week worked. It's not often possible for wages to be processed on the day the pay is due. Just means when the employee leaves, they get this "missing" week back then.
MinniMouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 21, 01:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Chilli-pepper
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Anne View Post
There is a national shortage of care staff as well. It's horrendous.
I completely agree with this, we are really struggling to recruit social care staff despite many recruitment drives - I know pay and conditions are a big factor, a recent senior care worker post went out (twice) by us as LA for salary scale of £27K - £30K plus additional 25% working enhancements, and still could not fill the post.
Chilli-pepper is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 21, 01:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
My friend said it’s a combination of European staff who used to work in hospitality staff who returned to their countries/families at the beginning of the pandemic but not returning, some having been put off by brexit paperwork etc. Along with people not wanting to work long, unsociable hours nor a full week. Finally, staff constantly being pinged in the restaurants and having to isolate although this is easing now
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List