Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 17 Sep 21, 07:23 PM  
Link to this Post
phil36
Gone all Goofy

Naive question re indirect flights

I've only ever flown direct before. This may be a stupid question, but if I fly to MCO via, say, JFK, Atlanta, Miami etc, is checked baggage transferred, and do you go through immigration etc at the final destination, or at the first stop?
phil36 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 21, 07:27 PM  
Link to this Post
stanleycamel
VIP Dibber

stanleycamel's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
You go through immigration at the first point of entry into the USA - then pick up your bags and use a transfer point to drop them off then go to your next gate for the flight to MCO and get off as a domestic passenger when you arrive.
stanleycamel is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 21, 08:06 PM  
Link to this Post
A&S&O
Apprentice Imagineer

And when you return to the UK, you drop bags off at MCO, then don't see them again until you arrive in the UK.
1997 DLP x2, 1998 DLP x2, 1999 DLP, 2000 DLP, 2002 DLP, 2003 DLR, 2004 WDW + DLP, 2005 DLP + DLR, 2006 WDW, 2007 DLP x2, 2008 WDW + DLP x3, 2009 DLP x7, 2010 WDW, 2011 DLR, 2012 WDW + DLP, 2013 WDW + DLP, 2014 WDW + DLP x3, 2015 DLR + DLP x2, 2016 WDW + DLP x2, 2017 WDWx2 + DLP, 2018 WDW + DLP x2, 2019 WDWx2, 2022 WDWx2, 2023 DLP x2. 2024 DLP x2, WDW. 2025 planning WDW.
A&S&O is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 21, 08:41 PM  
Link to this Post
7SeasSailor
Imagineer

My experience is that at the first stop you will pick up your baggage and, pass through immigration and customs. You will walk a couple of steps and there will be a couple of baggage handlers stood by a conveyor belt who will relieve you of them. You see them again at your final destination where you step into the airport as domestic passengers.
Old 17 Sep 21, 08:42 PM  
Link to this Post
TigerCub
Excited about Disney

Was just wondering this today too! So on arrival in US you go through customs and pick up bag then drop it off again for domestic flight?
And on way home you drop bag off at mco before boarding the domestic flight but don't have to collect it again to transfer to flight to UK?
TigerCub is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 21, 09:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Markpc2013
Imagineer

Originally Posted by TigerCub View Post
Was just wondering this today too! So on arrival in US you go through customs and pick up bag then drop it off again for domestic flight?
And on way home you drop bag off at mco before boarding the domestic flight but don't have to collect it again to transfer to flight to UK?
Correct…it’s honestly v easy 😁
US 192 - Feb 1994; I-Drive- Feb 07; Fairfield Inn - June 10; Oakpoint Circle V - June 11; Homewood Suites - July 12; Calabay Parc V- June 14; Esprit Estates V - June 15; CBR - April 16; Hyatt Place, Drury's & Bridgewater V - Sept 16; CBR & V US27 - Apr 17; Eagle Pointe V - Nov 17; Lindfields V - Apr 18; Pop C- Nov 19; Universal & Cruise - Feb 20; Rosen Inn & PB- Nov 21; H2S I-Drive - Apr 22; SSR & HI S535 - Sept 22.
Markpc2013 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 21, 10:12 PM  
Link to this Post
folkie
Loves sailing in the sun!

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 170
This is why it's important to choose your first airport in the US carefully (if you have a decent choice of course). At Dulles we were through customs and immigration and at the gate for our next flight within 40 minutes of landing, but at Chicago O'Hare on our way to LAX the same process took over 3 1/2 hours.
The great part is when you land at your final destination, collect your luggage and just walk straight out - it's brilliant!
91 Brittany 92 Scotland 93 France 94 France 95 Dartmouth 96 Moved house 97 Terra Mare (Greece) 98 Swanage 99 Yedi Tepe (Turkey) 00 Canada/Tunisia 01 Ottawa, Antigua/Bitez 02 DLP/Cornwall 03 Antigua/Gower 04 Ottawa/Croatia/Vendee 05 BVI/Hurghada 06 Javelin (Turkey) 07 Perili (Turkey) 08 Orlando 09 Rosas 10 Orlando 11 Les Deux Alpes 12 Morocco 13 Brittany 14 Vassiliki 15 Orlando 16 DLP/New England/Ottawa 17 Ionian
folkie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 21, 11:22 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by TigerCub View Post
Not quite TC, whilst my indirect flights via various US PoE (port of entry) is generally as follows, I'll specifically use procedures upon Atlanta arrival:

Disembark aircraft and follow/speed walk with the madding crowd to the immigration hall, clear US immigration, thro into the baggage arrival area, collect your luggage (may be lined up on the floor if international arrivals is busy). Exit the hall past Customs officers, short walk, turn left. On your left you'll see the luggage return area where lads/lasses take your luggage to be placed on your next flight.

After re-presenting your luggage continue onwards to clear Atlanta security, then follow signs for the Plane Train whilst looking for the wall of departure screens with terminal/gate info for your onward flight. Take the down escalator and hop on but be quick as the beggar moves fast, either grab one of the window seats or hang on tightly to the poles especially if you have young bairns. Plane Train runs every 2 mins, so no sweat if you miss one.

Upon return, hoy your luggage in at MCO, you won't see that sucker again until the UK Transitting on the way home is much easier, off one aircraft and head to the international terminal - pre-covid we were content with circa 2 hours to clear immigration, Customs et al., and 60 mins between flights homeward bound, not knowing what's now involved I wouldn't be comfortable with those times.

Depending on your route all US airport websites have helpful info and photos to assist transitting, plus Dibbers hold a huge amount of helpful knowledge they're only too happy to share, no question is stupid, just ask away

Edited at 11:26 PM.
ChrisS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 21, 02:49 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by folkie View Post
This is why it's important to choose your first airport in the US carefully (if you have a decent choice of course). At Dulles we were through customs and immigration and at the gate for our next flight within 40 minutes of landing, but at Chicago O'Hare on our way to LAX the same process took over 3 1/2 hours.
The great part is when you land at your final destination, collect your luggage and just walk straight out - it's brilliant!
It’s pretty random , I’ve used Chicago many times (I think it’s between eight and ten) as first point of entry and all but one time got through incredibly quickly. Dulles OTOH lost my luggage the one time I checked a bag there
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 21, 11:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Jimsdadhalifax
Very Serious Dibber

We missed a connection in Philly (security was incredibly slow) despite having a 2 hour window but most of the time 2 hours is enough for the flight out. It is easy, but very stressful if you get stuck in a slow moving security queue and your flight is due. It was very easy to get on another flight though and we were only delayed by a couple of hours.

The one back is much easier. Literally get off your plane and walk to a different gate.

I wouldn't ever do a flight out without at least 2 hours. Some airlines seem to think 75 mins is enough but that seems unrealistic to me
Jimsdadhalifax is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List